X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BDixon
    • Dec 2005

DIY speakers or amp first

I wasn't sure where this should go but I figured this section would have the most people who have dealt with this. What route would/did most folks take? Did you build your speakers first then upgrade to a better amp/receiver or get the amp first? Or was a more powerfull not even needed?

Right now I've got an old Sony 30ES powering M&K S-125 L/R/C and SS-150 sourrounds and have the chance to get a Outlaw 750 amp locally. I was planning to replace my receiver next year(with something like an HK 435).

I was planning to build some mains and center soon but this might set that back a couple months. It seems some of the speaker designs might be a little difficult for a regular receiver so I'm wondering if getting a decent amp first would be the route to go.

Thanks again,
    Brad
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

In my opinion are the loudspeakers the most important part of the audio chain. My experience is that changing speakers bring more changes than switching amplifiers/ cables/ etc..

just my $0.02

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

IMHO, play with room setup first. Before you do anything else. This may include more dramatic changes that you can not make permanent (like taking the side couch out, for example).

Identify what is lacking, what you hope to achieve.

That should tell you more clearly what direction to take.
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• BDixon
        • Dec 2005

I don't disagree. But what I'm not sure of is if my current receiver will handle the loads some of these DIY designs will place on it. That's the primary problem, build the speakers first and hope my receiver handles it fine or get an amp that will handle then build the speakers.

I just figured some of the DIY guys have been thru this before and wondered what route they took and if they'd do it the same way again.

Thanks,
        Brad

Comment

• AndrewM
          • Oct 2000

I did speakers first way, WAY back when, hooked up to a Denon reciever. Then added an amp (didn't make that much of a difference until the volume level went past my usualy listening level), the bigger difference happened when I pulled the reciever out and put in a good pre-pro.

I'd do it the same way again if I were in that position, and speaker upgrades are usually a good "bang for the buck" upgrade when it comes to doing an upgrade.

Andrew

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"