X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Got a deal on some Accuton C44s. . .

I'd like to build a new speaker that uses these midranges. I did a search about the C44, and it seems Jon had plans of using the C44 with M8a woofer and Focal tweeter. I'm not sure if that speaker was built, since it was a really old post back in 2002. Jon, would you still recommend using the M8a woofer in a 3-way if using the C44 or would you consider the RS225s? I would imagine it comes down to crossover selection and slope. I'm thinking LR4 between the woofer and midrange at around 800-900hz, but I'm not sure which slope to use between the tweeter and midrange. Especially since I'm not quite sure on which tweeter will sound best with the C44. I'm leaning towards the H1283 at around 4K LR4. Another option might be the Vifa XT19, but I want a tweeter that has a lot of dynamics, even if I'll be crossing over around 4K. So, any feedback would be appreciated, especially now that I'll have the C44s in my posession in a week or so.

Jed
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

After a bit more browsing of past posts, it appears that the M8a will make a very nice match with the C44 up to 800/900HZ. Jon, any suggestions for Xovers and tweeters? Maybe something that can handle 6db around 5K? Is the H1283 a candidate for 1st order Xover?

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Jed, how about this- RS225 on the low end, H1283 would be my suggestion on the top end, unless you're feeling frisky financially. Another possibility on the low end is Seas L22, if you want to stay "Euro" all around.

I'm going to try the 1283 with a waveguide also, but that's to crossover at 2 kHz. Keep in mind limitations due to Center to Center spacing- probably can't do better than 5" for the C44 and H1283, which would dictate about a 3 kHz crossover. This is usually the range I've worked in for dome mid based two ways- 800 Hz and 3.2 kHz for crossover points. I don't think I'd go for anything lower than 2nd order bandpass though, at those frequencies, unless you're not going to push the system very hard. I'd probably go for a 3rd order all pass, which was used in the Natlie P.
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jdybnis
        • Dec 2004

With a small flange neo tweeter you could get as close as 3" center-to-center. 4.5kHz crossover will work there. The Vifa D26NC55 from Madisound tested well in Zaph's tweeter mishmash. I don't think it could handle a 1st order crossover, even at 5kHz. Maybe the $150 Scanspeak D2904/6000-01 Jon uses in the Modula MTM center would have a chance. Or the >$200 Accuton supertweeter.

Edit: It's not something availible to you and me, but check out this OEM variation of the D26NC55 on Vifa's site http://www.tymphany.com/datasheet/printview.php?id=216
        -Josh

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by jdybnis
          With a small flange neo tweeter you could get as close as 3" center-to-center. 4.5kHz crossover will work there. The Vifa D26NC55 from Madisound tested well in Zaph's tweeter mishmash. I don't think it could handle a 1st order crossover, even at 5kHz. Maybe the $150 Scanspeak D2904/6000-01 Jon uses in the Modula MTM center would have a chance. Or the >$200 Accuton supertweeter.

Edit: It's not something availible to you and me, but check out this OEM variation of the D26NC55 on Vifa's site http://www.tymphany.com/datasheet/printview.php?id=216

Well, I was bad and picked up a pair of C12s for this project. I got them used so otherwise I don't think I could have justified the Retail pricetag over something like the H1283. I'm hoping the C12 will allow a shallower slope to mate up with the C44- at least that is what Accuton advertises on their website. I noticed there are nice measurments done too. One is on a "standard" baffle. Does anyone know what size baffle they test on for the "inbox" measurements version? All they say is the box is a typical size box. Would be nice to know the exact dimension so I can simulate a Xover to see if the RS225 is feasible without going crazy with components etc. Timmermans measurements should be pretty close I hope, to get things kick started with my simulation.

Also, is there any benefit/downside to the new 4ohm RS woofers? The added sensitivity might be nice for this design.

Jed

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"