Need help for my first pair of floorstanders!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alexnick
    • Dec 2005

Need help for my first pair of floorstanders!

Hi,

I want to build myself a pair of floorstand speakers, and I need your help!
    First I should describe what I want: a 2-way floorstand, vented,
    using an 8" woofer with a conventional tweeter.
    The volume of the box should be ~40-50L with the tuning frequency at FS, for best transient response! The F3 should be around 30Hz!

The problem is where should I cross with the tweeter, low(~1,2khz) or
    high(over 2khz)?
    Crossing low needs a Cauer Filter, and an waveguide. The Cauer filter
    has bigger Group Delay, but it's very steep after XO point!
    Crossing high needs a good woofer, high BL/MMS ratio, good off-axis,
    low IM distorsion, etc.

I don't have a big budget so I can spend at most ~240E for the woofer and tweeter!

Do you have any suggestions, for the woofer/tweeter pair, XO point, enclosure/filter alignment?

Thanks!
  • DIM
    • Jan 2006

Look for Audax drivers.

Comment

• KeithM
      • Oct 2005

I wouldn't recommend building your own unless you have test equipment, software, or lots of experience. IT may make you feel good to build it all on your own, but it will sound better if a skilled person wold build it. What are your room dimensions? I'd look at the designs already on this site or on zaph's website

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Look for Audax drivers
        Using drivers from a company that's been out of business for ~5yrs probably isn't the best investment...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

A design like these comes close to your preferences...

However, they're slightly larger, at 68 liters net internal volume. Crossover in the 1100-1200 Hz region, been done with several different woofers and tweeters, but the preferred design is with RS225 woofer, tweeter either RS28a or Seas Millenium Excel.

Search for "M8ta" on the forum and you'll find lots of info and discussion.

MarkK did a two way with the RS225 and RS28a tweeter in a smaller enclosure, same crossover concept, with very nice results.

Mark K's RS225/RS28A prototype version 6[/QUOTE]

This could be readily adapted to a more conventional ported enclosure floorstanding system.

Audax drivers were withdrawn from the DIY market a while ago, so would be difficult to find, probably impossible to replace.

Personally, I tend to avoid high crossover points in midwoofers becuase the midrange sound seems clearer when you stay within the pistonic region of the driver, and the region where the driver has wide dispersion. An 8" midwoofer starts narrowing in dispersion around 1 kHz, so going much higher isn't a good thing, IMO.

~Jon
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Scott Simonian
            • Nov 2004

Look for Audax drivers.

Using drivers from a company that's been out of business for ~5yrs probably isn't the best investment...
            Yeah.... I was going to say....
            My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• DIM
              • Jan 2006

You can buy Audax driver in Europe: http://www.audaxspeaker.de/products/prod_tt.htm or: http://www.oregondv.com/. Some of drivers accessible from Zalytron: http://www.zalytron.com/.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

That's what we call "NOS" -- new old stock. When they're gone, they're gone.

I used to use Audax back in the 70's; I don't think their offerings for DIY kept up with their competitors in the late 90's. Just my opinion.

~Jon
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• DIM
                  • Jan 2006

Is it a "bad" drivers? Or price/quality is to low?

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Is it a "bad" drivers? Or price/quality is to low?
                    It's that Audax has been out of business for ~5yrs (they were bought by Harmon International). So anything one buys is technologically dated, and replacement parts are either going to be unavailable or expensive as supply dries up.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• AJINFLA
                      • Mar 2005

Alex forgot to mention that he's in Romania, so the Daytons may not be an option.

Hi, My name is Nick, I'm almost 18 years old, and I'm from Romania! I like listening to music, and things related to the reproduction of music. I'm a DIY beginner/amateur and I want to build myself a pair of speakers. I want a floorstander for better bass reproduction. I want to build a 2 way, 3...

Hi, As I've seen on my previous post about Amphion Argon2, I'm wondering if it is possible to do something pretty close, but as a floorstand! So my idea is to take a good 8" speaker, put it in a 30-50Liter enclosure and cross it as low as possible, with an waveguide tweeter! I want a low F3(as...

I stand by the drivers I suggested (2nd thread, post #16) due to their european cost/availability.

Cheers,

AJ
                      Last edited by AJINFLA; 13 January 2006, 09:27 Friday.
                      Manufacturer

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

I'm sure theres' a lot of availability issues to consider if one is in Eastern Europe, or SE Asia. Sometimes you have to love the one you're with.... or can be with.

~Jon
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Feb 2004

I like Audax units, maybe not as good as current modern designs. Even considering the design is dated I think Audax are offering good units. Particular those HDA offerings are worth to look at.

Comment

• alexnick
                            • Dec 2005

Hi,

First of all I have to say that I won't be able to check and answer every day to this topic due to some internet connection problems!
                            I'll start building these speakers in summer, now I'm trying to choose(with your help) the best solution!

Many people have said Audax, I need the exact driver, not a manufacter. From what I've seen the audax woofers have lower XMAX.

JonMarsh, those Dayton floorstanders are close to what I have in mind,
                            the problem is the quality of the RS225. Does it really sound good?
                            What do you think about the higher GD the Cauer filter has?
                            From your experience, where is better to xover an 8" woofer with an 1" tweeter, lower ~1,2khz or higher ~2khz?
                            Does IM distorsion become a problem when the woofer moves 14mm(ptp)?

ABOUT THE AVAILABILITY ISSUES: 90% the speakers will be brought by my
                            cousin that lives in Canada!
                            (I'm wondering, do they let him get on the plane with a pair of woofers with powerful magnets?)

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Check around on MarkK's site for the measurement comparisons he's done with the RS225 and other drivers. The W22 has a better midrange if you cross it high (1500 Hz), but as I point out, if you cross an 8" driver high, you have narrowed dispersion in the upper midrange/lower presence range. The RS225 has lower LF distortion than the W21/22 Seas.

And the GD of the CE filter implemented the way I do it is about the same as a 4th order L-R. A true LR-8 (active, or 8 element passive) has much higher GD.

There are other designs we've done with this, such as the two way with HiVi M8a woofer in a three part article in AudioXpress magazine in autumn of 2003, and also MTM derivative of it. Use the search engine on the forum and you'll find plenty to read about- perhaps an overwhelming amount, if you're having problems with your internet connection.

~Jon
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• alexnick
                                • Dec 2005

What do you think about going active with a 24db/octave L-R?
                                There are advantages, no need for a huge tweeter attenuation ~7db or more!
                                no phase distorsions, no power waste, no harmonic distorsion, better control and others!
                                It's easier(cheaper ) to experiment with an active than with a passive xover!

The problem is disadvantages! Are there many?
                                I'm worried about GD, transient response, etc.
                                What do you think?

Comment

• alexnick
                                  • Dec 2005

Hi,

I've made the graphs (digital version). I have them for some time, but
                                  on paper, not excel format.

These graphs are made to show how much a tweeter is stressed when it is
                                  crossed low with an NTM 4th order at 1,2khz / NTM 4th order at 1,2khz +WAVEGUIDE THAT GIVES A FULL +6DB boost from 1,2khz to 4khz, compared to a 2nd order L-R crossed at 2khz(usual for nowadays tweeters!).

I can't upload it, so here's the link:

Please tell me if there's something wrong here!
                                  Thanks!

Comment

• BobEllis
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by alexnick
                                    What do you think about going active with a 24db/octave L-R?
                                    There are advantages, no need for a huge tweeter attenuation ~7db or more!
                                    no phase distorsions, no power waste, no harmonic distorsion, better control and others!
                                    It's easier(cheaper ) to experiment with an active than with a passive xover!

The problem is disadvantages! Are there many?
                                    I'm worried about GD, transient response, etc.
                                    What do you think?
                                    I agree with you - now that I have gone active, I am not going back (at least for speakers I intend to keep)

There is, of course, the big stumbling block of needing extra amplifiers. Once you have that taken care of, your comment about being less expensive to tweak is true. For me that also means that I am more likely to keep tweaking, rather than say ""this is pretty darned good, it's finished" :roll:

IIRC, Jon said his C-E filters have about the same group delay as a standard LR4. Looking to push my XO frequencies lower, I've been playing around simulating C-E filters. Now I need to make an adjustable notch filter to compliment my adjustable active filters for real world experimenting. (this Luddite is not going digital just yet) If you are interested in the adjustable active filter, search DIYAudio for MOX. It is a semi-clone of Pass Labs' XVR1.

Comment

• alexnick
                                      • Dec 2005

bobellis, i'll search on diyaudio for the xover.

What do you think about the area where the tweeter has to play louder?
                                      (in the comparison.xls link)

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"