X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beau
    • Apr 2005

Ae IB15 Dipole x

Hi all,

Anyone have an idea of how high these drivers can be crossed before they run into problems? I know the old ones (Lambda) were capable of going pretty high but these versions no longer have the phase plug.
    Beau
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Probably the best thing is to contact John J and ask him your question

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• AJINFLA
      • Mar 2005

Hi Beau,

I doubt very much a phase plug will have any effect on a 15" subwoofer's FR. It's going to get directional at frequencies (500hz-ish) way below where it would have any effect and is largely cosmetic IMHO. Does look pretty cool though :T . The on axis may extend (straight) up a bit, but you probably don't want to actually use it up too high, unless you want your off axis to look like a mountain range .

Cheers,

AJ
      Manufacturer

Comment

• JohnL
        • Dec 2004

I would think it would get directional around 500 as well, but they don't. I think he used some black magic in these. I have TD12s and they don't seem to beam until a lot higher as well. Maybe one day I'll actually measure them off axis...

Lambda 15 Off Axis

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

One recent buyer measured significantly different T/S parameters compared to those posted on the website.

The Le of the 4 drivers he received was 2.906, not the published 1.25. That difference is going to have an impact on the high frequency extension.

This is the reason I suggested contacting John..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Paul H
            • Feb 2004

Your mileage may vary ...

For what it's worth, here's a measured on-axis frequency response made using JustMLS, with two drivers mounted in a large dipole baffle as shown in this thread:

Dipoles sorta like bob/arvo

Click image for larger version  Name:	AEIB 15 fr response copy.jpg Views:	916 Size:	82.5 KB ID:	842818

There is no crossover or equalization applied to these; smoothing is applied at 1/6th octave.

I would expect greater extension on the low end in any sort of box rather than the dipole setup these are in.

This frequency response doesn't tell you anything of course about beaming, distortion at higher frequencies, etc.

Paul
            Last edited by theSven; 27 August 2023, 09:24 Sunday. Reason: Update url and image location

Comment

• AJINFLA
              • Mar 2005

It certainly has good extension/off axis for a 15" driver, but again
              know the old ones (Lambda) were capable of going pretty high but these versions no longer have the phase plug.
              I don't believe having or not having the phase plug will be an issue anywhere near where you would cross the driver (I would say 1k - max ). It looks cool and could also serve as a heat sink, but that should be the least of Beau's concerns. Unless of course the rear vent is too small and creates aerodynamic noise (dipole use), but that's also curable.

Cheers,

AJ
              Manufacturer

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

The drivers that are currently shipping may not be close to what Paul has.

Here are the measured T/S parameters from one of the most recent shipments. 4 drivers measured this way. The numbers in ( ) are the published specs. We're awaiting comment from John about this.....

fs 32.24 (16)
                Qms 4.43 (4.9 )
                Qes 1.2773 (.48 )
                Qts 1.0201 (.44)
                VAS 190.57 (467)
                Re 5.50 (5.6)
                Le 2.906 (1.25)
                Mms 132.63 (218 )
                BL 10.743 (16)

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Scott Simonian
                  • Nov 2004

Woah! Those are way off! These were always cool low-cost drivers. It's almost like these are new drivers made for some other application. Now I think I changed my mind on these.

I sure hope all these other companies aren't doing the same thing.
                  My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I don't want to start a panic.

John J is handmaking drivers to order, so it's not a running change in someone's production cycle.

These results are from one of the "Cult" members who ordered 8 IB15"s, he tested 4 drivers several times.

He used the sometimes suspect PE Woofer Tester I for these measurements. He states he's measured a hundred or so drivers and not seen variations like this.

He's trying to contact John J. (not all that easy these days) for comment. It's possible there was some screw up with his particular drivers, and that won't impact other purchases, but we just don't know.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Paul H
                      • Feb 2004

Thomas is right about the AE IB15's I have - the newer ones may be different.

I received mine this spring, and they are some of the very last ones John was making with phase plugs.

Paul

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

John J posted this reply to the "Cult" thread where the oddball T/S parameter info was first posted.

Re: IB15 measurements?
                        « Reply #8 on Today at 9:27am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        I see a few things that cannot be right. First off, Mms cannot be measured correctly. The physical mass of the cone should be about 100grams, plus the coil around 65, plus half surround, spider, glue, dustcap, plus the loading. Mmd should be a little less than Mms because it is the physical weight only.

Also, Vas is much stiffer than it should be. The spiders do have a very stiff ring of resin on them towards the middle, but that shouldn't affect things that much. My initial guess is that the method(delta mass) to measure Vas and Cms was a mass added method. This is often not very reliable. If mass moves at all it will greatly throw off the measurements. Both with the woofer tester and with praxis I used to get erratic results. A much more reliable method is the delta volume where you take measurements in different known volumes.

Although everything looks off by a lot, putting the Mms in the approximate range it should be in shifts parameters back to where it should be. Cms being about .44 instead of the .19 that it measured at shifts everything else dead on. Both of those parameters would be wrong together as I said if the mass added method wasn't right. The mass as measured cannot be correct because the parts alone weigh much more than that.

In regards to the Le measurement, this is about the most difficult thing to measure. Le is different at all frequencies. It depends where you take the measurements. Madisound specs Le at 1Khz and 10Khz. Neither of them is at all useful for a subwoofer really. If you take a meter and actually measure Le across the terminals you should measure pretty close to 1.25mH.

John

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Paul H
                          • Feb 2004

If you take a meter and actually measure Le across the terminals
                          Don't most meters measure impedance somewhere around 1000 Hz?

Paul

Comment

• Beau
                            • Apr 2005

So after all, I think my question has been answered. I was planning on crossing at around 250-300HZ, so I should be fine. Would these drivers have any major dis/advantage over TC12'S?
                            (other then outright displacement)
                            Beau

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"