X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blownrx7
    • Dec 2004

Refurb/respeaker passive sub?

I have a pair of ACI Saturn subwoofers that I purchased/assembled in 1990. I initially used them with a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's and a Audio Control Richter Scale Series III crossover/equalizer. Each sub has 2-12" drivers arranged in a push-pull arrangement at the bottom of a tall (~4 ft) column . They were great for music but recently got a little out of sorts when I pressed them into service for the HT stuff. Lo and behold I discovered that the woofer surrounds were laying at the bottom - disintegrated. :E
    Right now, I am going the cheapest route possible and refoaming the surrounds. But, longer term, I was wondering if I could reuse the cabinets and replace the drivers or even make them active subs....
    The cabinets are approximately 15x15x ~4 ft tall! They are extremely well-built so I feel "re-using" them is a viable option.
    I was hoping some of you knowledgeable types might make a suggestion for my next step?
    Stay with the refoamed woofers?
    Put in new drivers? What are the popular/desired/best for low freq etc?
    Stay with the push/pull configuration or go with std single driver?
    Go active? Of course that opens up a whole buch of options.
    My budget? Hmmm. I guess about $1000 to redo both units.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Obviously refoaming is the cheapest fix probably a little over $200 to do all 4 drivers.

If you want to reuse the same box and get better performance, look at some of the high excursions 12"s on or coming on the market. While not cheap, a pair of high excursion 12"s will provide more output as compared to a single 15".

Continuing to go isobaric would double the driver cost, with the primiary benefit being that you could use drivers with a higher Vas. I'm not sure that would fit your needs or budget

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• blownrx7
      • Dec 2004

Refurb/Respeaker Passive Subs

Thanks for the advice.
      Actually, refoaming is only going to cost $50 plus an hour or two of my time.
      With regard to the high-excursion 12's, any suggestions?
      I went and actually measured the cabinets (instead of guesstimating) and they are 13.5x14.5x35" sealed enclosure with 1" thick walls. With some work, I could block off some of the interior to reduce the volume if needed. How do I go about choosing a driver? Excuse my ignorance here. I am not a speker builder for sure...
      Thanks for the help

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Are those the internal dimensions or the external dimensions?

The last thing you want to do is decrease the size of the box.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• blownrx7
          • Dec 2004

Refurb/Respeaker Passive Subs

Those are external dimensions. The walls are 1" thick so internal is appx 11.5x12.5x34 giving me appx 2.7 cu ft internal volume.
          I was told to use the WinISD tool and play with that to choose a driver.
          I don't know what a lot of the terms means but the freq response plot it generates tells me 90% of what I want to know.
          Using that, the Adire DPL12 looks like the best candidate to use in a SINGLE-DRIVER setup for my sealed enclosure.
          And yes, from that, I do NOT want to reduce the volume of the box.
          Last edited by blownrx7; 08 December 2004, 14:40 Wednesday. Reason: typo

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

First delete WinISD it isn't accurate.

Second download and use Unibox it's accurate.

DPL-12" are very good drivers, but if you want high ouput from a pair of 12"s the price of admission is higher than $150ea.

Take a look at the 12" Brahma from Adire or in a couple week when Chad Kypers' new drivers are available, you'll find something similar for a lot less money.

We're discussing Chad's new drivers in this link.
            Can't say too much at this point, product rollout will be in a few weeks. Brand new company (Jon and I are not affiliated with them, but from time to time we get insider info ;) ). I can say there are several sizes ranging from 12" -18"'s. They use the XBL^2 motor technology (for those that don't know this means
            Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 13:20 Sunday. Reason: Update htguide url

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• blownrx7
              • Dec 2004

Refurb/respeaker passive sub?

Hmmm.
              I seem to get the similar answers with either. I have more trouble manipulating the data in Unibox in the 5 minutes I dedicated to it - Unibox definitely seems to be more powerful, i.e. more variables to play with, more data provided
              I'm not necessarily looking for high output as much as accurate, clean output. I have them in a relatively small room so two quality subs with even less than average output will blow the room out if I wanted.
              I will wait for Chad's 12" to come out and check the specs since, as I said, I already refoamed the existing woofers and can live with them for now.
              Thanks for the advice!!!

Comment

• cdwitmer
                • Sep 2004

I think it is great if you can refoam four woofers in an hour or two. I have done quite a few but it always takes me much more time. Just cleaning the frame down to bare metal takes me that much time. (So far I have only re-edged Pioneer woofers, and perhaps Pioneer uses exceptionally hard-to-remove materials, I don't know.) Do you have any secrets that you don't mind sharing?

Comment

• blownrx7
                  • Dec 2004

No great secrets really. Probably more like a total of 3-4 hours for all 4 woofers by the time I was done. The biggest advantage I think I may have is a ~ 5/16 wide x-acto blade - a perfect width for the glue line on both the frame and the cone. It looks like this: So the blade can be oriented perpendicular to the surface like an ice
                  l l scraper or putty knife except I have a super-sharp blade that can get
                  l l under the glue and take it right off. The cones on these particular
                  l l woofers were polypropylene so less chance of cutting the cone
                  l l accidently.
                  l l
                  l l

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"