Aura 1808.....Has anyone used this driver?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mfishmike
    • Mar 2004

Aura 1808.....Has anyone used this driver?

I'm selling my dual Titanic MKIII sub and amp ($1500) and am looking to build a really, really, good sub. The Aura NS 1808 keeps my getting my attention with it's 2 1/2" excursion and overall looks and size. At $1,200 per driver, I'm looking before leaping! Has any here used this driver? I've been told it is the same driver in the Wilson XS cabinet (It has 2 of these drivers). I've noticed that Kyle's BP 18" is/has been unavailable for a long time. Any other runner ups in this class of driver?

Thanks.
    Mike Cason
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Personally, I'd wait a bit and see how the 18" drivers in this thread work out once people get them in their hands. You could buy several of them for the price of the Aura.
    Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 12:57 Sunday. Reason: Update url

Comment

• mfishmike
      • Mar 2004

Who makes it?

Who makes that driver. The magnet looks small for such a highly rated driver? I'll just keep watching.
      Thanks
      Mike
      Last edited by mfishmike; 21 November 2004, 12:54 Sunday.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I'd either wait on what Adire or Jon's/Thomas's crew come up with for 18's or just buy a couple of Tumults and a nice power amp. You'd end up with something with more headroom then you could likely ever need and it would be a fraction of the cost of a Aura 1808.

Comment

• Evil Twin
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by mfishmike
          Who makes that driver. The magnet looks small for such a highly rated driver? I'll just keep watching. I'm out of work now, so I've got time.
          Thanks
          Mike
          Your lack of confidence is disturbing....

Image not available

The Aurasound drivers use Neodymium magnets, which are much more powerful, and hence, much smaller, than conventional ceramic magnets.
          Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 12:59 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link
          DFAL
          Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• robertwb70
            • Oct 2003

actually a single tumult has more displacement than that aura NRT 18-8 and the added advantage of XBL motor-for about 1/2 the price
            NRT 18-8 linear Xmax=18mm total displacement=4.46 liters
            18-992 x-max=25mm total=5.8
            tumult(one way)Xmax =34mm total=5.09
            no longer available BP-18 total=6.26

and there are lots more good things on the way from adire and others
            =+=+=+=+=+=+=
            "The appreciation of music is subjective.The reproduction of music isn't."-Bill Dudleston

Comment

• mfishmike
              • Mar 2004

Aura

Thanks all.....I'll keep an eye on the new driver and see how it performs, while I'll drool over the Aura's. :roll:
              Mike Cason
              Last edited by mfishmike; 21 November 2004, 12:55 Sunday.

Comment

• mfishmike
                • Mar 2004

Decided to keep the dual Titanic sub. It's now a six driver subwoofer!

I've posted my dual Titanic and my Legacy Point One subs for sale, but have rebuilt the Titanic MKIII sub again, and have decided to keep both. I had a 4" port in the Titanic and it had a resonant mid-bass boom, and I wasn't happy at all with it.

I tore it down and added 4 Adire Audio 1500 gram 15" passive radiators to it to make a 6 driver sub, and the sound is outstanding, smooth, and everything I was looking for. I'm driving it with a QSC 1450 bridged with an 8ohm load, wiring the drivers in series. I then moved each sub to each corner of the living room and they work fantastic together with the whole system. Thanks to those who have emailed inquiries about purchasing it.--Mike Cason

Other photos are available on my yahoo groups:

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Click image for larger version

Name:	6-driver-sub.JPG
Views:	1111
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	841732
                Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 12:57 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2001

Mike,

That looks like a pretty awesome sub! I'm glad you're happy with it now. One thing to note, it really isn't a 6 driver sub as it still only has 2 active drivers. The PR's serve the same purpose as the port you had in the sub previously, but obviously, without having any port noise issues.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"