X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrungD1020
    • Aug 2004

A/V Rack Project

Hello everyone, I would like to get some input/help from you guys. Our group is doing a BIG project for our Applied Industrial Operations. One of the idea is an a/v rack. We need to make 70 items, market them, and sell them(like a Trade Show). Does anyone know where I can buy parts (online or locally) to make the a/v rack? We have most of the necessary machines/tools to make the racks. Production does not start until 6 weeks later. This is the planning phase for us. If we do a good job on planning and getting the jigs/fixture ready for production, it will save us a lot of time and problem.

I know that our group doesnt have the design yet, but I'm curiously to know if anyone is thinking of buying one? If you are thinking about buying one, what is the price range you would like to buy it for? If you do not want to buy one, is there a particular reason? More update as the project progress.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Trung. That's a pretty cool project - sounds like fun! Will you be working with wood frames and shelves, or metal frames and shelves, or metal frames and wood shelves, or. . . ? Once the basics are firmed up, then you've got more issues to consider. Will the legs be hollow so that they can be filled with shot, sand or other damping material? Will you be isolating the shelving from the racks using rubber grommets? Will you have a cable-management system? Once we establish what your initial parameters are, then we can get into the details as far as the rough stock and design tips.

I already own two A/V racks - a Lovan Classic II and a Bell'O AT-484 so I can't really help there, but I just got a fresh supply of opinions in and can let you have them cheap.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I agree, cool project :T As David mentioned, we need more info also if you want to possibly buy parts locally, it would be good to know where you are If you're local to me (Vancouver) I'd be interested in purchashing a couple racks but unfortunately due to room constraints I have very specific needs which likely won't be as marketable as a more generic design. Here's a couple pics of what I need to build (or something very similar):

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

oh...and will it be adjustable ? That's really N.B. IMO!
        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Uncle Clive
          Former Moderator
          • Jan 2002

Other recommendations/requests would be for wall mounted floating glass type rack with cable management ......and....also maybe in-wall/insert type rack, fastened on a track that can be pulled out for servicing........stuff like that.
          CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

...and an isolated phono shelf....that could possibly be pulled in and out....that would WOW...merely impossible....but WOW never the less!
            Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• TrungD1020
              • Aug 2004

Thank you for the great ideas and suggestions. I live in San Jose, but Canada isnt that far away. About the adjustable shelves, I dont think we'll be able to make these because we gotta make jigs and fixture to produce 70 of these baby. Two of the group members are really good with machines. I will have to check up with the Master Designer( the person that came up with the a/v rack :B ) about your questions. Also it's not finalize yet because we have not voted. The other idea is making a dartboard.

I told my dad about the a/v rack idea. He said it wouldnt fly. :M The thing that I'm worry about is these thing sell for ~$200+ and I'm not sure how much the group plan to sell it. Last quarter a group made poker chip box and sold it for $80. They had problem selling it to the student. But when they sold it @ Farmer Market, it sold out. What do you guys think(of course this is a HT guide, you guys will like it :rofl: )?

Comment

• TrungD1020
                • Aug 2004

It's a no go for the a/v rack :M Not enough buy-in from the group and all 70 must be package. Ohz well.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Too bad So what are you doing then?

Jason
                  Jason

Comment

• TrungD1020
                    • Aug 2004

A bar mirror. You know those Budweiser bar sign that light up with neon? Something similar to that. The thing with those is deciding on text that will help us sell out all 70 units. The rack was hard to do because we gotta produce it and package it. Now this bar mirror has a broad market. :E

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"