The Boss got a house, my gear won't fit...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotel&energy
    • May 2004

The Boss got a house, my gear won't fit...

Hey guys:

Big problem...my soon to be fiancee just bought her first house and the plan is for me to move in down the road. Ok, that's great but this is her first home and it is pretty small. I think a little over 1200 sq. ft. I was taking a look at the house the other night and realized that my HT setup would not fit (as is) in any of the rooms. Of course, I brought this up to the boss and received the dreaded, "I didn't buy this house so your speakers could fit in it" comment. 8O I don't have exact dimensions for you guys, so this message may be a bit premature. I'll get those for you later this week and post. In the meantime, I'll give you a feel for the rooms in the house that will be consideder for an HT setup:

1) family room - square. My guess is the room is 12x12 tops. The big problem w/ this room is that none of the walls are long enough to give my speakers breathing room. Instead, they'll be cramped together w/ only a small amount of space between the speaker and the wall.

2) den/bedroom - most likely 10x11, but much more useable wall space. The problem here is the room is so small. There wouldn't be much room between the front and rear speakers. Oh, and she's already claimed this as her den/office. :M

3) basement - my best hope. The previous owners finished the basement, but divided it up into two bedrooms so the layout is terrible. The plus with the basement is that most of the walls are false and could be demo'ed very easily. This room would cost me the most money & time to fix.

My kit - 27 inch Sony WEGA on a TV stand housing my center channel, rotel 1055, 1072, dvd player, and playstation. energy c9s for fronts and energy c3s (on stands) for rears.

I'm just disappointed b/c I was hoping that I could get a nice dedicated HT room up and running and I just don't see that happening w/ this house. I'm not sure if I've given enough info to get help from the forum, but I'll throw out better room descriptions later this week. In the meantime, any comments would be welcome.

Thanks,

chris
    Christopher
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

You've got 2 choices, either make something work, or get a new Fiancee. oops. Out of what you've listed, it sounds like the basement would be the best bet. What is the dimension of the area with 2 bedrooms?

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Lex
      You've got 2 choices, either make something work, or get a new Fiancee. oops. Out of what you've listed, it sounds like the basement would be the best bet. What is the dimension of the area with 2 bedrooms?

Lex

:roflmao:
      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• rotel&energy
        • May 2004

Lex, I took your advice and dumped the girl for my speakers. I think she understands. :B

I'll get those dimensions for you guys later this week when I drive up to see her.
        Christopher

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Ditto, the basement will work best plus it'll probably keep her the happiest as women usually don't give a rat's you know what about basements, as far as they're concerned, you can have it :lol: Added bonus, they tend to be darker, so light control is less of an issue and lends to a nice FP upgrade down the road! :T Also it will have and you can add better sound insulation from the rest of the house as well.

It will cost more and likely involve the demolition of those walls but think of it this way, it gives you the opportunity to do it right if you construct it yourself rather than having to make your system work in already finished room.

Did anybody else hear the words: dedicated theatre room?!?! :P

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Gee, is this the point where I should refer you to the Marriage Builder's forums, and get you a copy of Harley's "His Needs, Her Needs"?

I'm only half joking...

Seriously, I do hope this works out for you. I'm the poster child for disfunctional relatinonships and bad A/V Kharma, so I'm the LAST person you should accept any advice from. Your setup is very nice, compact, and reasonable- most gals would be fairly happy to deal with that compared with the kit and baggage I have. I understand your feelings about wanting the speakers to have some room to breath; it is tough in smaller rooms like that.

Best wishes for sorting this out successfully.

~Jon
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Chris,

Like Jon and others here :P I've had a failure or two in serious relationships, so take this with a grain of salt:

Be wary getting into a deep relationship with someone that doesn't recognize the importance of things in YOUR life, too.

Moving on. The basement is a very good - actually, the best - option for all of the reasons above and if things work out, that'd be the way to go.

Best of luck - in all things.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

My house sounds somewhat similar to yours and like you the basement was really my only option...but it worked out great as I got to build the room I wanted and my wife really didn't care too much what I did to it so long as she got what she wanted upstairs (which was fine as we agree on 95% of decorating idea's anyway)

Comment

• rotel&energy
                  • May 2004

To be honest, her comment about the speakers was the first time she's ever said anything negative about my a/v hobby. I think she's a bit sensitive about the house being small and I touched that nerve w/ my comment. For the most part, she's sees the value in my hi/fi gear.

That being said, we've both agreed that the basement is "THE MAN ROOM", so I can do what I want down there. Demoing the basement will be a learning experience, but I am concerned about the fact that the basement floor is covered w/ asbestos containing floor tile. The house was built in 1937, but was completely gutted and refurbished by the past owner. He didn't take out the tile though, but I can't blame him for that. It isn't a huge hazard since it is non-friable and I'll probably just cover it up w/ carpet, but it still bugs me.

Other details about the basement:

-Old house, so the basement ceiling is low (anyone over about 6'2" will have to duck).
                  -The largest portion of the basement has two deep closests that I might be able to tear into and set the a/v equipment back into, therefore saving some floor space (i assume this might hamper sound quality).
                  -Furnace & hot h2o heater is smack dab in the middle of the basement.

I'll try and get some pics of the basement to go w/ those room dimensions I'm going to hit you guys w/ later this week.

Thanks!

chris
                  Christopher

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Sounds like she's pretty good about the whole A/V thing but as you pointed out may be a little sensitive about the size issue ( I thought only men worried about that! :rofl: ). She's also likely a little frazzled about the whole buying a house and the many and big headaches that includes. So try not to take her freaking out to personally. Likely supporting her and helping her out will get you on her good side and she'll be much more willing and happy to let you have your way with the basement as a reward for being so sweet and understanding :T Try and look at it as a positive. You get to build a custom A/V room exactly how you want it!

As for the tile you can have it proffessionally removed so it's done safely but it won't likely be inexpensive....

Try and get us some dimensions etc and maybe a drawing of the space posted. I'm a trained draftsmen so I can draw you up some ideas and between all of us I'm sure we can come up with a layout that's functional in the space

Jason
                    Jason

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Here's some sage advise from one of the official HT-Guide geezers. :B

Set the precedent BEFORE you begin any relationship!

Remember Doc Brown's mega guitar speaker in "Back To The Future" ?

Well get your butts in gear and buy a pair of those NOW. Set them up in the living room and play them loud. Make sure any date you bring home understands what your priorities are in life.

Then you'll have a great marriage and great sound system till death do you part ............. :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bam!
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2004

This post shows graphic material...please be advised!

Ahhh....

Once you guys "swing the leg" in the new place everything`ll be just :T

:lol:

This helps :

:lol:

:B
                        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Swing the leg? Is that in conjunction with "over your shoulder" or something? :B :B Boy, once again we've shown we can go off topic with the best. . . .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• rotel&energy
                            • May 2004

swingin' legs like crazy...

man i've never heard that term before.

thanks for the advice everyone. i apologize that the thread's sort of stagnated since I haven't had a chance to get the measurements yet. i haven't had a chance to get up to her place this week. look for a post Sunday night w/ all the room info.
                            Christopher

Comment

• Brandon B
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jun 2001

On the asbestos thing, a thought if you aren't keen on the expense of a professional removal.

Asbestos in and of itself is not toxic, it is the particle size that it tends to generate when airborne that is the fundamental issue. So if you can prevent it from reaching that stage by sealing it in somehow, it's not going to leach through the floor and infect or anything.

While covering it with carpet is probably satisfactory towards that end, if it were me I might coat the floor with some sort of sealing medium prior to that step just for piece of mind (urethane or some other smelly goo?).

Only negative to that would be making sure it isn't something that would make professional removal an even nastier (and hence pricier) job if you (or future residents) elect to do so down the road.

BB

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"