X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

Satellite TV distribution

I'm moving to a new home shortly, which has satellite TV, and a single line to a single TV. Not exactly what I want/need ...

I'd like to hook up 6 televisions, including 1 high-def for the projector. Is there a distribution box/system I'll need in addition to the receivers? Can I set up say 3 receivers and feed them to 6 televisions with switching capabilities? How would I go about that?

Thanks,

Paul
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Most modern dishes can handle a couple TV's with the appropriate equipment but basically you'll likely need 2-3 dishes and a STB for each set if you want them all to have independant channel selection. Your HT will need a HD capable STB as well. In other words, contact your satellite company and prepare to right some cheques
    Jason

Comment

• Audiophiliac
      • Apr 2006

I dont know how they do it over there, but you just need a satellite multi-switch. This takes the inputs from the actual dish, and divides it into multiple outputs. They make 4x4, 4x6, 4x8, 6x6, 6x8.....it just depends on your system.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Like Jason said, usually satellite dishes can only support a limited number of feeds, I think 3. So if you want 6 different rooms with 6 different satellite boxes, then you'd have to get two dishes.

If, on the other hand, you're okay watching the same channel in two different rooms and can create a setup that's acceptable for control and distribution, then you can use one receiver box and send it to two (or more) rooms.

Cost may weight into your decision, too. First, you need to buy the receivers. Depending on the features you want, this may become expensive. But if you shop around, and then call the satellite company and ask, you can likely get up to a HD-capable satellite box for free, and then it should be easy to add free additional SD-receivers. But if you want to add DVR or TiVo capability, it will be more money.

Next, keep in mind that your satellite company will probably charge $5 per additional receiver per month on your bill, AND another $5 or so per month for each additional feature like DVR. This can really add up quick, so you might have to limit the # of receivers.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Audiophiliac
          • Apr 2006

A multiswitch can give you up to at least 8 receivers off of a single dish (as long as it has 4 feeds from the dish). No need to have more than one dish.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I think that may be company/equipment dependant Audiophiliac. Up here in Canuck-land a few years ago it was a max of 2 receivers/dish... I believe that got upped to 3 with newer technology a year or two ago but Paul will certainly have to check with his service provider.

FYI Paul, when I checked out satellite a while back Bell ExpressVu was better than Star Choice especially in regards to HD content. Also they usually have equipment/service specials around Father's Day
            Jason

Comment

• BigBlue1974
              • Jul 2006

Audiophiliac is correct. I have Bell ExpressVu and currently run 2 HD feeds and 4 SD feeds total. If in the future I want more, it'll merely be a matter of buying another splitter that would take the feeds from the satellite and split it more.

Comment

• Clive
                Former Moderator
                • Jan 2002

There are stores that do Sat. installations you can go to one of them just for info. Then yes I too would recomend checking with your local first there maybe some improvements.
                CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Arneson
                  • Jan 2006

The shipboard sat distribution systems I've installed are capable of supporting 12 or more independant recievers. the active multiswitchers are available in any configuration needed. The boats are able to go worldwide and lock onto any communication satelite.

For the home this should be, at least here in the states, totally free equipment and installation, just pay per month.
                  Jim

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"