X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgveteran
    • Oct 2005

KG's City Scape Diffusers (DIY style )

Any thought on DIY diffusers.These are tedious but worth it.They let the sound staay alive without absorbtion or beaming.I have plans if you are interested.

I also did some panels and bass traps....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kgveteran; 05 November 2005, 18:45 Saturday. Reason: Hope that you pull my name and profile !
    Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !
  • Pieter
    • Jan 2005

David, subject interests me. I've been aiming at building some quadratic residue diffusors but for the fact of not having permanent listening room.

Maybe I should experiment, even if it's temporary. Kinda like the higher order diffusors as shown in your pic.

Planning on using a mold, or do you have some other means in mind?

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Pieter,

After you've measured (mapped) the room so you know what's needed, this will get you started.

John Sayer's Productions as a very nice acoustics section. If you search that particular forum for 'skyline diffusers' you'll find lots of info.....
      Last edited by ThomasW; 23 March 2010, 18:36 Tuesday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• kgveteran
        • Oct 2005

I was thinking of a mold design and mapping out the levels to computer programs.The varying height was an issue in most other forums.I decided to use random height from 1" to 7"(that includes fractions).The current diffusers are foam and can be cut using a styrofoam cutter.

I'm sure the "T" crossers and "I" dotters will argue that the original skyline is modeled correctly but in my case these panels cost $27.00 for a 48"x48" panel of varying depth.They are a great bargin diffuser with huge gains/dollar spent!

I can only say that there is a world of difference in my current room.The focus the front stage has due to the lack of beaming sound from the back wall is fantastic.The diffusion from the sides surrounds and the "livelieness" is awesome.One of the first things that catch you when you walk in my room is how your voice in the back will have a live sound without echo.The front stage absorbs sound so no unatural reflection occurs.PM me with your email and I'll get the instructions to you.If anything at all you could put your own spin on these designs to suit you better.

Comment

• Pieter
          • Jan 2005

Thomas, big thank you for that first link; just what I've been looking for without success for quite some time.

David, I've sent you a PM which includes my e-mail.

What's the closest a diffusor can be to you? 3 Times the wavelength of the lowest frequency one is aiming at diffusing?

Comment

• kgveteran
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
            Pieter,

After you've measured (mapped) the room so you know what's needed, this will get you started.

John Sayer's Productions as a very nice acoustics section. If you search that particular forum for 'skyline diffusers' you'll find lots of info.....
            Thomas,
            This link is dead, do you have another...Thanx
            Last edited by ThomasW; 23 March 2010, 18:33 Tuesday.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

You can save the calculator by saving the webpage

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Huh... wow, I must have missed this thread when it first came out, or I don't remember it. Very interesting!
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"