X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spearmint
    • Sep 2004

This is going to be my new HT

Our new house is coming on well, and I thought I would post a few pictures of my new HT room.

The room is 5W x 7L x 2.6H metres.

It has acoustic insulation in the walls and the walls and ceiling are done with 2x layers of 10mm plaster board.

The first photo is looking to the front of the room; the cutout to the left is for the audio rack.

The second photo is the cupboard behind the HT and allows me access to the back of the equipment. As you can see I have fitted this off.

The third photo is of the back of the room where I have allowed for 6x surround speakers. These will be mounted on custom built shelves yet to be made.
    Last edited by Spearmint; 27 September 2005, 17:40 Tuesday.
    Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

That's cool Richard.

What gear will you be putting into your new room (save me from going through all 184 of your posts to work it out)? Are you taking the opportunity with your new house to buy some new equipment too?

Cheers,
    Nigel.

Comment

• Spearmint
      • Sep 2004

I have custom built mains & centre speakers, and B&W 602’s for surrounds. I will be running 4x subs of which 2x are custom built, these are controlled by a Behringer DEQ2496 & DCX2496 to correct their in room response.

Rest of the equipment is Rotel RSP1098 and RCD1072, Denon 3910 DVD, Elektra DAC and Benchmark DAC1, Elektra Theatre 7 amp and Elektra Reference amp.

That’s roughly it at the moment.
      Richard

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

And the video components?

Comment

• Spearmint
          • Sep 2004

Currently using LG 60” (152cm) LCD RP, it will do until I find something better, as I have been concentrating on the audio side first.
          Richard

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Very nice start Richard! :T

I'll be following this thread with interest.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Very Nice job! Looks like you've planned for just about everything :T What are you planning for paint colour(s)?
              Jason

Comment

• Spearmint
                • Sep 2004

Thanks David & Jason.

The painters should be finished this week, and hopefully my rack will also be finished and installed. Regarding the colours, that was arranged by the wife, there are something’s I am allowed to do and picking colours is not one of them. We have gone very conservative; I will post some more photos this weekend.

At this stage only planning to have a couple of chairs in the room, because what I have found in the past anymore than 2x people and someone always wants to talk, so may as well sit some where else. :B
                Richard

Comment

• Spearmint
                  • Sep 2004

Just wanted to add a couple of more bits of info.

The room where the audio rack cupboard is going to be my study, it also has a dedicated air conditioner, plus the cupboard will also have a light and exhaust fan to help extract heat, especially when we have those 40+deg C days.

The double doors into the HT room are solid, mainly for the feel factor as opposed to the noise factor, and just opposite the HT I have installed a powder room, so one doesn’t have to go far when nature calls. :B
                  Richard

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by Spearmint
                    because what I have found in the past anymore than 2x people and someone always wants to talk
                    Even when there are only 2 people sometimes the other person wants to talk. It drives me crazy when I'm listening to music seriously.

In my ideal music room there is no seating at all because (a) I prefer standing when doing serious listening, and (b) if the music is any good I start to move around and squirming in one's seat isn't cool, and (c) if other people want to join in it's hard to dance in a room full of furniture...

... none of which has much to do with home theatre.

Comment

• Spearmint
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by bigburner
                      ... none of which has much to do with home theatre.
                      It does when the room in question is being used for both HT and serious 2ch listening.

Although a separate 2ch setup would be nice I am afraid what I am going to end up with room wise is about all I will ever get, the powers to be have spoken, and being the dominant male that I am :B I have bowed under pressure. ;x(
                      Richard

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                        • Jan 2002

Nice... that's some serious connection plates in the cupboard wall. Looks like you are going all out. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Comment

• Spearmint
                          • Sep 2004

Thanks Sonnie for the kind words.

Sorry about the delay, the painting is finished, the floors in the house have now been done, and both of these have prevented me from finishing off the fit off, as can be seen in the photos. Carpets on order still to go in.

I have included a photo showing the floors so you appreciate why I didn’t have access, also you can see things like the rangehood, tiles etc still need to be finished, this is the trouble with these floors no access for over a week.

The rack has been installed, requires the finishing touches around the front and rear, also I am getting some blocks placed under the whole unit to help support the weight.

I will post more photos as the project progresses.
                          Richard

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Looks great :T Love the hardwood floor and rack-work in particular :T
                            Jason

Comment

• rnoble
                              • Sep 2004

Very nice work Spearmint can't wait for a listen

I see you ended up with 10 shelves with some being pretty big, that would have to be enough room wouldn't it? (yes rhetorical question

It's going to look absolutely fantastic once you have your equipment in, I wait with baited breath

Comment

• Spearmint
                                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                                Looks great :T Love the hardwood floor and rack-work in particular :T
                                Thanks for the kind words. I am happy with the rack also, although the proof will be when I have to fit the equipment into it.
                                Richard

Comment

• Spearmint
                                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by rnoble
                                  Very nice work Spearmint can't wait for a listen

I see you ended up with 10 shelves with some being pretty big, that would have to be enough room wouldn't it? (yes rhetorical question

It's going to look absolutely fantastic once you have your equipment in, I wait with baited breath
                                  Thanks Rod...

The large gaps are to accomondate the larger things like power amps and the 1098, with the rest set at a more standard spacing. BTW only the bottom two and a couple in the middle are fixed, the rest can be removed or moved if required.

The trouble is now I don't think 10 shelves are going to be enough so some gear may have to go under the screen, i.e. Digital STB.
                                  Richard

Comment

• alebonau
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Oct 2005

nice going spearmint.

actually quite like the colour schemes and floors as well. Good to see rather than the rather lairy look people go for these days.

Rack looks great. all that gear is going to look very nice in it. A walk in robe for all your gear ! wish I had something like that to put my gear in rather than all on top of its self like I do plus with all my cabling nightmares and hum troubles !

like the way you've got all the wall plates. Not very apparent with a neat setup liek that all the hours of cable work behind it.

looking forward to a look see and a listen too !

The HT room has come along very nicely

Well done.
                                    "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Sithlord
                                      • Aug 2004

Like everyone else on this forum I cannot wait until it's all done. Looks fantastic and well layed out. Good things come to those that wait and I know you have been a very patient man. You deserve it.

Comment

• norpus
                                        • Oct 2005

Nice work there Spearmint
                                        Even my wife was impressed (not an easy thing as you can imagine) - I showed her the large kitchen first which softened her up hehe

I hope no one gets lost in that forest of wires in the cupboard when the units are all installed! A machete may be needed to get in to do the dusting (perish the thought - sorry, v poor humour)
                                        Cheers
                                        Norpus
                                        "He who dies first with the most toys wins"

Comment

• Spearmint
                                          • Sep 2004

Thanks very much Al, Sith, & Norpus for your kind words. :T

BTW you are all welcome over to help move...(Just kidding).

We will get together very soon for a listen and bit of critique of the setup.

I will be working up there again this weekend to get more wires fitted off. Not looking forward to disconnecting my gear and moving it in a few weeks, then try to get it all re-connected without creating any dramas like HUM!
                                          Richard

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                            • Jan 2002

Well Richard... I've always wanted to visit Australia. Can we plan on stayin' at your new place?

You are going to have one more beautimous place when you're all done. Excellent work!

Comment

• Spearmint
                                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Sonnie Parker
                                              Well Richard... I've always wanted to visit Australia. Can we plan on stayin' at your new place?

You are going to have one more beautimous place when you're all done. Excellent work!
                                              Sonnie, no problems!!!

Admittance for a week’s stay and maybe a listen or two is a couple of bottles of Barcardi. :B

We are a friendly bunch of folk Down Under, so if you are ever in the neigbourhood you are most welcome.
                                              Richard

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                • Jan 2002

How generous... although I would be really down under with only a couple sips of Barcardi... 8O

Comment

• Spearmint
                                                  • Sep 2004

Sonnie if you are talking this brew, I am with you. I have a bottle at home, that I offer a drink to anyone willing to give it a go. :B

Bacardi® 151 rum
                                                  Bacardi 151 Rum is a high proof (75.5% alc/volume), dark aromatic rum produced by Bacardi. It is a form of overproof rum, which is not available in several countries due to it's excessive alcohol content.
                                                  Richard

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                    • Jan 2002

I get tipsy just lookin' at that stuff.

Comment

• Spearmint
                                                      • Sep 2004

Sorry no new pictures of the new room at the moment just thought I would share my new seating arrangements.

I have ordered a set of four chairs in the same configuration as the front row; will be installed prior to Christmas. I am getting them with electric motors installed to aid these ageing bones of mine. :B

More updates to follow…
                                                      Richard

Comment

• bigburner
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • May 2005

Looking good Richard.

How far away from your front speakers will your front row be?

Comment

• Spearmint
                                                          • Sep 2004

Thanks Nigel,

I was only going to have one row of two seats, and ended up getting one row of four because of pressure from the wife :B

There will be around 1~1.5mtr behind the seats to the back wall, and I guess the mains will be approx 1+mtr from the front wall, so maybe around 3.5~4mtr between the front of the chairs and the front of the mains.

Until the carpet goes in and I start setting up the equipment it is a little bit of guesswork at the moment.

We should be able to move into the new place late next week, although it depends on when they get the driveway poured as it will require a week to cure before driving the cars on it, this will more than likely put the move off till the week after.
                                                          Richard

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                            • Jan 2002

Those will be very nice Richard... can't wait to see pics of your room.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • May 2005

In that photo the people in the front row are pretty close to the screen. I think I'd rather be in the second row. I think the bloke in the second row is going to forget about the film shortly if his body language is any indication...

Comment

• Spearmint
                                                                • Sep 2004

Thanks Sonnie, the pictures shouldn’t be too far away now things are starting to progress along nicely.

Nigel, looking at the photo, you could be right on the money. :rofl:

BTW one of the other toys I have installed in the house is a Comfort Plus security system.

It has some neat features. :T

What Comfort does for you

Security systems are entering a new phase in their evolution. Customers are demanding that their security system work harder for them, providing more intelligence, convenience, energy savings and control possibilities. Many homes function around separate systems which work independently from each other, but these can now be integrated into one system, where you can have control from a single keypad or telephone button. The benefits are plenty, now you can be in control and in touch with many aspects of your home and office environments, because integration is the key and Comfort is the system which provides you with integration .......

Nothing is more important than protecting the ones you love. Now, with the aid of new technology, there is a powerful new system which helps keep you and your family safe in ways never before possible.

Comfort is one of the most advanced yet simple security systems available today incorporating many creative ways to help make you and your family feel safer. You can be alerted when someone is in your garden or driveway. In the event of a break-in or a fire, Comfort can automatically dial-out to phones, pagers or even emergency services to alert or bring help. Comfort has the unique ability of letting the recipient know exactly what has happened by providing access to interrogate the system so that you can know exactly where an intruder is within your home before you go looking for them.

Comfort provides security, convenience and control like never before! Comfort can be controlled by listening to the English Voice Menus which are heard through your keypad and telephone. This provides simple guidance when arming the security system or controlling the home, making Comfort very easy to understand and use. When you enter your code Comfort welcomes you by name.

Your house is always comfortable and efficient and secure, because the thermostats know whether you are at home, asleep or away and your detection devices can alert you of outside activity even the system is switched off. Lights can come on when you enter your hallway. Your outside lights come on at dusk and off or when there is movement during the night.
                                                                Comfort can be controlled using your keypad or your home telephone or your touch tone phone from anywhere in the world. Enter your code and Comfort will start to talk to you, offering you the choice from a few menu options, such as arming the system or listening to your messages on the answering machine. Comfort can be set to one of five modes, with just one or two key-strokes, such as Away Mode when leaving the house, Night Mode for Bedtime, Day Mode for protecting an area separately or Vacation Mode when going on Holiday so that your lights and curtains operate for a deterrent effect (optional). Other short-cut keys take you to commonly used menus such as setting a reminder message or intercom mode.

Have you ever had your doorbell ring when you were in the bathroom? Or missed a delivery because you were away from the house or in the rear garden? Comfort's Intelligent Door Station allows you to use a cordless phone anywhere around the house avoiding those frustrating situations. If you are away from home and Comfort is armed and the doorphone button is pressed, Comfort can call to your mobile phone or any other phone (if instructed to do so), so that you can talk with your visitor from wherever you are! If no one answers the door phone either from within the premises or remotely, after a brief time, the doorphone can take a message from the visitor and will be played to you when you arrive home. You can even have your doorbell switch-off the vacuum cleaner or the HIFI so you can hear the doorbell and the phone ringing!

At the heart of your Comfort system is the messaging centre. This is like eight answering machines in one giving each person in the household their own personal voice mail system which is accessible using their own unique pin-code. An incoming caller would first hear your greeting message and then be able to choose from a list who they are leaving their message for. If you wish, Comfort can forward your messages to your cell phone as they arrive or you can phone in to collect them.

Ever left home in a hurry and forgot to switch on the answer-machine? Not so with Comfort because Comfort does it for you whenever you arm or disarm the system, when you arrive home and disarm the system you will hear your message. Upon arriving home a steady light on the keypad shows that a memo has been left, a flashing light shows that an outside caller has left a message.

Comfort lets you stay in touch wherever you are. Comfort's in-built voice dialler can call up to 8 telephone numbers. Comfort can call you if there is a power-cut or in the event of an alarm. Additionally, you can call Comfort and interrogate the system for any information, just as if you're at home! Now you can check that all is well at home from anywhere in the world, just call-in from your phone and take away the uncertainty.

Comfort's home control option can allow you to control and operate electrical appliances within your home, such as the heating, lighting, air conditioning, curtains or garage doors, in fact almost any appliance. Comfort allows manual control using the telephone or keypad or automatic responses using built-in time programs, integrating the system truly within your home or office.
                                                                Special power modules using the X-10 protocol are used to control your existing lights to make the house look occupied or to illuminate your escape route during a fire alarm or to control heating, ventilation and air-conditioning appliances (HVAC). Installation is simple because the modules require very little wiring and they receive their instruction as a code down the existing ring-main circuits. The home control menu has eleven sub-menus making possible over 100 custom home control operations!

Comfort may be scheduled to perform certain actions at regular times each day, such as switch the heating or air conditioning on and off and can schedule the garden sprinklers to operate whilst on holiday. Comfort can even know not to water on a day when it is already raining. You could even have your Comfort system arm itself at 12.00 Midnight and disarm at 6.00am automatically.

The power and usefulness of being able to control or interrogate your system from any phone in the world should not be underestimated. If you wanted to be certain that no-one was in your property before you enter, you can do so. You can also use this feature to phone in and switch the lights or heating on in advance or for convenience even to switch the VCR to record a programme (you'll need to remember the blank tape).

Whenever you go out or go on holiday, set Comfort to Vacation Mode.Homes are often burgled while the property is obviously unnoccupied, so doesn't it make sense to make your house look like there is someone living there even when there isn't? Comfort can help by simulating the appearance of an occupied home by switching lights and closing curtains and even operating the TV or radio .

Comfort's Vacation Mode does this using random control within a one hour time window to achieve a realistic effect.

Another Comfort function is to deter prowlers should they come close to the property. The system can detect movement in the rear garden or yard and then switch lights on in a sequence, for example, first the outside light switches on, then the bedroom, then 5 seconds later, the landing, then the hall to give the appearance of someone in the house getting up to investigate. Comfort can also dial-out silently and alert you.

Comfort can have up to 8 keypads and intercoms giving you the ability to listen to sounds within your property from your home phone, cellular phone or another keypad. You can also make an announcement through your speakers. Intercoms and keypads can have many uses. To save your legs and your voice, you can broadcast a message to everyone around the house, what could be easier? If you are a carer or you have a baby, you can use the intercoms in 'monitor mode' to listen for sounds in the vacinity of the keypad, Comfort is always there to keep you in touch.

Reminder messages may be set at certain times of day to remind you of appointments, take medicine or when your favourite TV programmes are on. At the programmed time, a "ringing" tone will be heard on the Keypad and house phones will ring and the message can be heard when you answer the phone. Or you could have your reminder messages call your mobile phone to give you messages wherever you are. Comfort can be used as an alarm clock to wake you up each morning. You can even program it to not ring at all at the weekend!
                                                                Richard

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Spearmint
                                                                  Thanks Nigel,

I was only going to have one row of two seats, and ended up getting one row of four because of pressure from the wife :B

There will be around 1~1.5mtr behind the seats to the back wall, and I guess the mains will be approx 1+mtr from the front wall, so maybe around 3.5~4mtr between the front of the chairs and the front of the mains.

Until the carpet goes in and I start setting up the equipment it is a little bit of guesswork at the moment.

We should be able to move into the new place late next week, although it depends on when they get the driveway poured as it will require a week to cure before driving the cars on it, this will more than likely put the move off till the week after.
                                                                  good going richard on the new chairs. One row is plenty for our gtg's !

should look pretty nice in the new place.

not long to go !
                                                                  "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Spearmint
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2004

Okay just a couple of photos re progress of the new room.

The new chairs still haven’t arrived, so using a couple of recliners for the time being. The rear shelves are installed still require finishing touches, the side shelves haven’t been installed as yet, later this week I hope. BTW those are B&W 602 speakers on the shelves.

The rack still has a couple of other devices to go in, the main one being another power amp. The rear is still a mess as I started to make up custom leads, but wanted to test things out first, hence the use and mess of leads all over the place. I am afraid patience is not one of my virtues.

Anyway you get some idea of how it is progressing.
                                                                    Richard

Comment

• rnoble
                                                                      • Sep 2004

Hey Spearmint,

Truly worth drooling over!

Well done mate, can't wait to come over for a listen. The finish on your custom speakers is blending in really well, who would have though that those subs would look smaller!

Nice work, if it sounds half as good as it looks then it must sound fantastic.

Have you had time to dial all your subs in yet or are they still just delay and levels?

Comment

• Spearmint
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by rnoble
                                                                        Hey Spearmint,

Truly worth drooling over!

Well done mate, can't wait to come over for a listen. The finish on your custom speakers is blending in really well, who would have though that those subs would look smaller!

Nice work, if it sounds half as good as it looks then it must sound fantastic.

Have you had time to dial all your subs in yet or are they still just delay and levels?
                                                                        Thanks for the kind words, it sounds quite good, although I am going to look at some room treatments.

I have not done any room sweeps as yet, the subs are just level matched using the test tones and SPL meter.

Still haven’t set up any of the computers, I was lucky to get as far as I have with the HT room, the wife has different priorities to me. :B
                                                                        Richard

Comment

• aud19
                                                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Aug 2003
                                                                          • 16706

Coming together nicely :T
                                                                          Jason

Comment

• Spearmint
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2004
                                                                            • 333

Thanks Jason :T
                                                                            Richard

Comment

• zorg
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Dec 2005
                                                                              • 51

#39
                                                                              very nice Richard, glad to see it is coming together wall, I'm sure all your efforts and hardwork and planning will pay off.......

Comment

• Spearmint
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2004
                                                                                • 333

#40
                                                                                G'day Zorg...

Welcome to the forum :T

Thanks for the feedback.
                                                                                Richard

Comment

• Foghorn17
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Nov 2005
                                                                                  • 1

#41
                                                                                  Hi Richard,

Now that I've finished drooling over your collection of subs, has that HT seating been delivered yet?

I'm keen to hear your impressions of it.
                                                                                  Rob

"That's just on loan from the store dear!"

Comment

• Spearmint
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2004
                                                                                    • 333

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Foghorn17
                                                                                    Hi Richard,

Now that I've finished drooling over your collection of subs, has that HT seating been delivered yet?

I'm keen to hear your impressions of it.
                                                                                    Hey welcome to the forum Foghorn...

I had Nobby, Norpus, & Alebonau over today for a bit of a GTG, but alas no new seats.

I chased the seating up yesterday and was informed that they will be ready mid January now as there was a hold up on the material. Anyway they told me they will give them a call Monday to see if there is any chance of getting them before Christmas. At this stage it is not promising.
                                                                                    Richard

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2005
                                                                                      • 2649

#43
                                                                                      Great room Richard. I bet it sounds as good as it looks.

That appears to be Joe Walsh paying you a visit. Melbourne concert?
                                                                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Spearmint
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Sep 2004
                                                                                        • 333

#44
                                                                                        Thanks for the compliment.

Yes I did go to the concert although not to any of the filming sessions.

So far I am really pleased with the room, and have had a few guys over for some listening sessions, so far have had positive responses not only to the look & feel but also the sound. Had a bit of a session last night with a friend who plays bass and he was just so stoked with the audio.

Did some room sweeps today (subs only) and had a huge room gain centered at 29Hz, so had to pull that back 12dB on the front two subs and 8dB on the back two, from around 25~34Hz to tame the large node. Otherwise just requires some more fine tuning to get the rest flattened out.

Before I get too carried away with EQ I will move the subs to try and minimize or cancel some of the room gain. I have been looking into some room traps but the ones I have looked at so far available locally only go down to 50Hz.

It is amazing when you play with delays & phase how it affects the in-room response when using multiple subs, this is what I use the Behringer DCX2496 for it gives me total flexibility for each sub.
                                                                                        Richard

Comment

• Spearmint
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2004
                                                                                          • 333

#45
                                                                                          I thought I might post a couple of updated pictures of my audio rack.

Have started to tidy up the cables behind the rack, now that all the equipment is installed.

Still waiting for the new seating to arrive, shouldn't be too far away now (I hope).
                                                                                          Richard

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"