X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

Anyone with survielance?

Hi all, my front door is wired for intercom with a seperate RG5 coaxial cable ran for camera to TV, any suggestions for a good system that will work here or do I need to re-wire for a pimped out system?

Note: I have intercom wires run to a cut-out in the master bedroom, second floor and on the main floor (This cut-out is much larger which can accomodate a radio system or ???)

All suggestions welcomed.
    CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hey, man, that's great that you've got provisions for wires. I bought a wireless security camera and receiver from Parts Express (links at top and bottom of the Guide) to use as a baby monitor. It passes audio and color video, with A/V outputs so I can distribute everything in my theater and all home audio/video system. But I get a moderate amount of audio and video static with it, unfortunately. If you've got the RG5 to make it wired, then take advantage of it and do the same thing with wired equipment.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Shawn Solar
      • Apr 2005

Where does the wire from the front door go to. Is it sheilded or cat 5e? if it is the coax is probably not needed if you went with a video intercom at the front door. otherwise the wire is probably a power line and the coax can be conected to a modulator and hook up to your exsisting cable system. This would send it to all cable equiped TVs in the house on whatever channel(usually greater than 78). I would suggest the video intercom if it is wired mid door at the side of the door way. basically an all-in-one unit that has a tiny IR carmera and microphone witha push button for activation. Inside then goes the phone looking answering system with small screen built in.

Option two if the wires at the top would be a small IR camera at the doorway and like metioned before ran to all TV's through the cable system

Now the rest of the intercoms can be ran as a seperate system or included witha front door chim system(with seperate camera so long as there is a single pair for power) with a master control unit somewhere on the main floor. Most have AM/FM and CD functions

Comment

• Uncle Clive
        Former Moderator
        • Jan 2002

Thanks Shawn, I think we kinda went old school with the wire run. All the wires goes into the basement. The top left corner of the front door has the coaxial and low voltage power line then the doorway beside the doorbell has a video & pwr line which is to be hooked up to a wall type control like the NuTone systems located in three locations...... the main floor, second floor landing and the Master Bedroom.

Should I use all the options at the front door or discard something there?
        CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Shawn Solar
          • Apr 2005

You could just put an IR camera at the front door at the top left location and use a cable modulator to send it to your tv's Then just use a door station hooked up to the rest of the Nutone stations. The camera is only for "yaw control" or simply cause you want it. It does have its uses with small childern being able to see who is at the front door.
          I would just get the Nutone door station if it is available. maybe have to add a chunk of wire in the basement and run it to the master unit is all. I belive the door stations from nutone only use a single pair.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"