X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

PC problems

Ok this is a really strange one that you guys likely won't be able to fix via the web but I figured I'd share it anyway Here's the full story....

Several months ago I built a HTPC with the intent on using it in the theatre...but I was so busy it just sat unused so I sold it. I boxed it up nicely wrapped in foam and sent it out via regular mail with insurance. When it finally showed up the guy emailed me to say that the DVD-Rom drive had been pushed in (its on rails and just locks into place so its not screwed in like most are) and that it wouldn't boot. Now when I built it I had a little issue with the video card not seating properly causing a similar non boot issue but after I had him reseat it it still wasn't working. So I had him resend it back, I refunded him his money and filed an insurance claim. Well the HTPC arrived last week so i tried to see what was wrong and he's right it doesn't even post...it powers up for about 4 seconds then shuts down..the light on the mobo stays on but its essentially dead. Now pressing the power button again does nothing and the only way to get it to "boot" for the 4 seconds is to remove the power cord long enough for the light on the mobo to go out. So I figured since the CPU cooler was fairly loose it might have overheated and damaged the CPU since everything else looked fine. I then took out the Athlon CPU from my wifes PC and put it in the HTPC and it did post this time though I got some weird errors when it tired to get into Windows which leads me to believe the hard drive needs reformatting as well...at least I hope that's all that's wrong with it. So anyway figuring that I now knew what was wrong I proceeded to put the working CPU back into Glenda's PC only now her's won't POST either...it seems to power up but the video never shows up and the monitor just keeps blinking waiting for a signal. Since that seemed really odd I tried her chip in the HTPC again only now it won't post in that rig either...great another blown CPU...I bought a new 2200+ chip today but it won't post in Glenda's PC and I'm afraid to put it in the HTPC as that seems to kill chips! I have a new PS in G's PC as it made a strange noise last week so when it didn't post I thought that it might just be the PS acting up but that doesn't seem to be the case...so I'm now at a lose as to what to try next. I've swapped out the video card and pulled all the ribbon cables etc. but before shutting it down to pull the CPU it had been running perfectly fine so I don't think its a drive issue...
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Sounds like the voltage regulator might be bad or cranked up and frying the chips.

There should be a jumper that resets all BIOS settings to default....barring that, pull the CMOS battery for 20 mins and then try again.
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I pulled the CMOS battery last night but not for very long (a few seconds tops) but I'll maybe pull it out for longer tonight and retry it....though i'm not optomistic it'll work.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

Yeah CAPs have the ability to hold charge for a while so some times a few seconds isn't enough.
        Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Yup you're right about that...I'm wondering what's going on with the other PC as well as it should have booted with the new CPU but it won't

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"