X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markj
    • Aug 2000

Game platforms for Christmas

I have an eight-year-old son that wants a Nintendo 64 for Christmas (like that’s a surprise), but is this what I should get him. I know that at this point PS2 is not going to happen but is there other game platforms that I need to look at.

And what should be my guide as to what I should look for in a game platform. Like outputs controllers etc…I have no idea what type of questions to ask yet. I am not into games, but have a feeling that might change. Any help is very much appreciated. My wife I are going looking this Friday.

Thanks!
  • Joey Millison
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Mark,
    This is basically my own uneducated opinion, but if you have an eight-year-old I'd definitely think that the Nintendo 64 would be your best bet, as a lot of Nintendo games are geared towards a younger audience (as it was mentioned before, using bright colors and Disney-esque type characters). I've seen the Nintendo 64 price drop quite a bit lately as well, and one can be had for under $100 very easily. I'm not sure if the Nintendo has an S-Video cable that you can buy or not, as is the case with the PS2 and Dreamcast, but it would definitely be something worth looking into if your TV has the inputs for it.
    The Nintendo 64 has the games for a younger audience, but also has a nice selection for adults as well, so you'll be able to find enjoyment in it just as much as your son will.
    I'll let other people give you more specifics, but in my opinion I'd say the Nintendo 64 is a good bet! Hope this helps!

Best of luck deciding,
    Joey6P

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

I think in the case of an 8 yr old, you're going to have to look for the types of games he is asking for. I think Mario and anything Mario related is only available on Nintendo. If that's what he is looking for, I think you're pretty much locked into a N64. As Joey has stated, these are going for a pretty good price.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Markj
        • Aug 2000

Ok guys thanks for the info. It sounds like N64 is a good first game platform. As “we” get better the PS2 could be in our future. Thanks again for the input.

Comment

• Joey Millison
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

No prob Mark I actually bought one used a few months ago, and paid something like $60 for it, and it worked great! Especially with all of these people getting the PS2 now, the Nintendo 64 and Dreamcasts should be able to be found used everywhere! So there's always that route That leaves more money for games!

Comment

• SiliGoose
            • Aug 2000

Good advice all around.

I'm betting if your son wants an N64 he's a Pokemon fan. Pokemon, of course, is a Nintendo creation and only available on Nintendo consoles. Buy him the N64 with Pokemon Stadium and a Gameboy. He'll be able to transfer the characters he "trains" on the gameboy game onto the N64 fo 3D battles.

Then buy yourself Mario 64 or Zelda for gaming greatness, Perfect Dark for a smart shooter, and Conker's Bad Fur Day for some mature humor.

-Sili
            www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Markj
              • Aug 2000

Silly:
              My son got the Gameboy last Christmas. I am not sure if Polemon is what he wants to play, but what you suggest is very interesting possibility. I plan on a Toys-r-Us trip today at lunch to pick up the N64. Thanks for the game suggestion I will look into them.

Thanks again,
              Mark

Comment

• SiliGoose
                • Aug 2000

I guess I should also point out that Nintendo is coming out with a replacement to the N64 and Gameboy next year.

The Gameboy Advance (GBA) will be a 32-bit color handheld. It's been designed from the start to interact with the new console, the Gamecube.

I only mention this because your current $69 Gameboy Color and $99 N64 will not be compatible with the software for the new machines. Luckily, the GBA and Gamecube won't be very expensive (GBA=$99 and Gamecube will probably fall around $150-$199).

-Sili
                www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Markj
                  • Aug 2000

Thanks for the heads up Sili. I got the N64 last Friday. I don't think it would go over too well with an "I own you" in the stocking. There seems to be something better next year when considering electronics.

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Markj,
                    Isn't that always the case. Technology changes so quickley that IOU's don't work with my personnal purchases either and I'm a big boy

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"