X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mats
    Special Member
    • Jun 2000

pda as remote

well after doing a tiny bit of fooling around, i loaded my palm Vx up with NoviiRemote trial software.

i'm looking at the rotel 1066, and much to my chagrin i've seen the supplied 969 remote in action. i'm still thinking about other remotes, but it's pretty neat to be switching channels through the palm pilot (not as comfortable though in the hand like a traditional remote...would take some getting used to).
    Mats
    Mats Strömberg
    Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
    Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

how's the range of the IR sensor? That's traditionally being the sore point for PDA's bneing used as remotes

Comment

• Mats
      Special Member
      • Jun 2000

since currently i've got my digital cable box so close to the ground on an 20" stand (i'll make a post on that later...), and i've got a coffee table that impedes my regular remote, that is quite the question. currently, i have a sony remote for the box and i always have to reach UNDERNEATH the table to score a direct hit with the IR... now talk about a pain in the @ss. that being said, i have to do the same with the palm. to really get a feel for the IR range, i will be getting an a/v rack to set up the box at a more appropriate level... when i do so, i'll come back with an update.

my main beef with the palm is that due to the screen size, you're talking about smaller "targets" on the pda screen. and any of you who know palm, it's like performing surgery using the stylus on a small target. the palm interface really doesn't allow for true fingertip control, so i don't think this is going to be a feasable solution....... but it was pretty neat to utilize the palm in this fashion. lord knows if you have teenagers out there who ever get a hold of this idea they could really raise some hell when the family is sitting around watching the tube. cheers folks.
      Mats
      Mats Strömberg
      Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
      Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"