X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SMiLEY
    • Sep 2000

Playstation 2

So who's got one?

A friend of mine had his Playstation 2 hooked up and running at 1:00 AM October 26, 2000. I guess you could call him an early adoptor.

Personally, I'm just going to play his and wait until Metal Gear Solid 2 comes out to pick one up.
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

I think we are waiting until the initial "thrust" is over. No lines, reservations, etc for me. Probably next year. Finances are tight now anyway.

Lex

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I am waiting to see how reliable it is. Six months or so will tell all.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Greg Stone
        • Aug 2000

I think a lot of people are waiting for more detailed reviews as well. I for one am. Would also like to see the PS2 drive down the prices of some of the other platforms as well, such as Dreamcast!

Greg's DVD's

Comment

• Lexman
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2000

Well,the coming 2 platforms of next year could prove interesting as well. Of course, Sony has the leg up given the PS reputation.

Personally? The Playstation is one of the better Sony products I have owned. So, that's a plus. 64 is ok, but you know I always thought that Sony got more out of their 32 bit system than the 64 Nintendo. Plus, the cartridges in my mind are just proprietary technology that certainly doesn't do anything to help video quality. If anything, it hurts it. Now they may actually increase access time, I don't know. But I do know that you couldn't copy a Nintendo cartridge, and that is what cartridges are all about, pure and simple.

Lex

Comment

• DanB
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2000

Well...call me crazy, but I preordered 4 of the PS2's and picked all of them up this AM at K-B Toys. I'm rolling the dice thinking that some unfortunate soul might pay a small premium to have one under the tree at X-mas

Comment

• Lexman
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2000

I actually did that once with the 64 it's first year, and made a little, not much... I really didn't feel particularly good about doing it either, so doubt I would do that again.

Nothing wrong with it, just didn't feel right for some reason, lol. But the lady was extatic to get it.

Lex

Comment

• SiliGoose
                • Aug 2000

I've had mine for over a week now (I work for "a major toy retailer") and am quite pleased overall. I just re-wired my whole system today in order to get my PS2 running on component cables and toslink. The picture and sound are just wonderful.

It's a system with great potential. The initial batch of software is impressive in quantity though the quality of the titles may leave something to be desired. Madden 2001 and SSX are clearly the system sellers among the bunch. If you like fighting games DOA is amazing.

Next year will be very interesting indeed. Xbox sounds like a monster. Gamecube will be supported by the usual gameplay magic that only Nintendo can achieve. Indrema (www.indrema.com) could change everything by creating a new underground in console gaming. Sega could be a software developer for Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony. It will be fun (and expensive) to see what happens.

Lex,

N64 carts can be copied. Very easily, in fact.

-Sili
                www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Lexman
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2000

Not saying I support the process of copying games, but how would a person even get the blank cartridges?

Yes, having a few "dusty" old game systems that represent a sizable investment in entertainment, I am not generally so quick to say PS2 is the wave of the future. But who knows, maybe you guys will convince me.

Of course, I have very little time for gaming nowadays anyway.

Lex

Comment

• DanB
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2000

Lex- its kinda not different then buying a limited production car or motorcycle, then sitting back and waiting until someone wants one bad enough to pay a small premium to have it.
                    I've done it with both cars (Corvettes mostly) and of course, motorcycles.
                    I figured I'd take a small gamble and maybe pick up a few small bucks doing it.
                    I don't feel bad doing it, cause there are literally thousands of buyers/sellers that do it for a LIVING. I'm, just a poor soul trying to make an extra buck or two.

Comment

• Lexman
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2000

I know I know Dan. Just sort of seemed like I was a ticket scalper, and for me, it just didn't feel right. I am sure I could pick up the paper right now, and find that several folks locally are doing it.

There is a speculator's market, that's for sure-

Lex

Comment

• SiliGoose
                        • Aug 2000

Lex,

There are devices you can purchase that basically copy the data stored on a cartridge to a hard drive. You can then run the stored games (called ROMs) on an N64 or on a PC running software that emulates the N64 hardware.

This is, of course, only legal if you actually own the game you copy -and then only if the copy is for your own personal use.

This is very similar to the Playstation emulator, Bleem! which is rather well known.

As for the rampant speculation in the PS2 market, it really isn't to far removed from the home theater market.

It's all about early adopters. If you're reading this forum chances are you fall into the early adopter category. As an early adopter, we've been conditioned into expecting to pay a certain premium to own the latest and the greatest. I mean, who out there hasn't paid way too much for a CD player, Dolby Digital processor, or Minidisc player only to see their prices drop a year later?

The Ebay prices for PS2 are the video game equivalent of buying into SACD today. We all want it but it's gonna cost a ton.

-Sili
                        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"