X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Digital Cameras

What's the best quality for the price right now? I have a 2.2 megapixel Canon Powershot right now. It's a fine camera but Canon has never relased WinXP drivers so it's been a pain to get images onto my PC.

I'd like to make a jump in megapixels and a better quality lens would be nice too. What do you guys use? Anyone up to date on the subject?

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

Sili I'm not a camera man but I did research and end up buying the Kodak DX3600 at a bargain (streetprice should be around $215 or so). It's XP ready. Has done a fine job for me and my website.

It has 2.2mp with a 6X zoom.

The DX3700 has 3.1mp with 3X zoom for about $30 less.

The DX3900 has 3.1mp with 6X zoom for about $30 more.

I believe there are some others here that recommended the Kodaks to me.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Well, Bing and I are in the Nikon fan club, both with older model Nikon 990s. Great camera. It's what I shoot all my cable website photos with, and as you can see, I have shot some real winners if you tour my site. As long as their quality doesn't go down in the future, I will stick with Nikon. Good quality optics and exchangable lenses.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Sony has been great in the past; love my DSC770; Zeiss optics. But when the started putting baby CDR's in the cameras, I had to question there understanding of the concept "reliability".

I've bought some Olympus models for the lab at work, and my girlfriend; they've generall worked very well; hers, an Olympus C700 is a great model for the money, including macro modes, and true 10X optical zoom.

I tend to be a fan of digital cameras that emulate true SLR's as closely as possible; my big Sony is a good example. I also think it's better to focus on the optical features, over just pure CCD resolution; I've seen some real stinkers in image quality from some supposedly high res models, inlcuding well known American brands.

digital cameras, digital camera, digital cameras reviews, digital camera comparison

has some excellent in depth camera tests, as well as tutorials; I highly recommend this site for anyone interested in digital photography.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• SiliGoose
          • Aug 2000

Thanks for the link...it's good to have a starting point.

Lex,

Is your Nikon the one that twists in the middle? I've admired that design as it seems rather flexible.

I too would like a digicam that closely matches a SLR in flexibility and optics. It just seems that style of digicam has been extremely expensive.

-Sili
          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Silli if you like your canon why not just pick up a card reader? I have a USB compact flash card reader that I use to move images to and from my cards and its very simple to use and much faster then pulling images off the camera with its USB interface.

Comment

• SiliGoose
              • Aug 2000

Holy crap! I totally forgot I have a card reader!!
              Thanks Andrew!

This blonde moment brought to you by SiliGoose.

-Sili
              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Pat
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Sili, here are a couple of other sites to check:

Tech Talk - Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Expert news, reviews and videos of the latest digital cameras, lenses, accessories, and phones. Get answers to your questions in our photography forums.

I use a Kodak DC290 that I picked up used

Pat's Page
                Pat's Page

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Yes Sili, mine twists in the middle, I think their was 1 or 2 other models at the time that did that. I can just about assure you, as long as this camera is working, for web work, I have no reason to ever change it at this stage because you don't upload to the web in 3.3 megapixels anyway. Yes, maybe you can retain a bit more detail when shrunk down, I don't know for sure. But then, maybe you loose detail after a certain amount of shrinking.

Already, most my pictures are 4 times bigger than I want them for the web.

Lex
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"