X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Xbox

so whats the scoup on this thing? People are talking about in my "is this my next DVD player thread" so I thought I'd start one soley on this new machine

• Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Read all about it in the following link Andrew...

The Next Big Thing, Xbox

Executive summary, it will be a kick ass gaming console that brings the resolution of the best PC games to the TV (HDTV owners rejoyce), and 5.1 DD audio as well.

System Specs:

Pentium III 733 MHz CPU

233 Mhz nVIDIA Graphics Processor

64 MB of Unified RAM

5x DVD

8 GB Hard Drive

8 MB Memory Card

Four High-Speed Controller Ports

10/100 Ethernet

256 Audio Channels

Broadband Enabled

DVD Movie Playback (remote control required)Progressive to boot

HDTV Game support

Most of the major game makers have signed on for the XBox, and game development is a lot more simplistic for the Xbox.

This screen shot looks as good as my Geforce 3 at 1600x1200

Console games have it over PC's for they run smoother, not having to run all that extra crap, and they are a very casual, social event. It's mega fun sitting around your coffee table and big screen TV, playing games with your friends, rather than crowding around a 19" monitor. Before, it was the resolutions of the PC monitors that had the advantage, no more now.

It's being released 1 day before my birthday...should I preorder...? Hold me back...

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Bing I found this link too

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Great Link Andrew, thanks!

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
          • Aug 2000

My only issue with Xbox is that there are no clear cut tripple-A games. I mean, everything looks really nice but there really isn't anything new or innovative yet. I'm quite sure there will be several good games but nothing earth shattering.

Still, I'll have one on November 8.

-Sili
          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• James W. Johnson
            • Jun 2001

What is the MSRP ?
            pics

Comment

• SiliGoose
              • Aug 2000

$299.99
              Expect to see several retailers pushing "bundle" deals with packages of accessories and games.

-Sili
              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                • Nov 2000

the only downside is that not all games will support 1080i. i think all the launch games will be just 480 (i or p depending on you setup). also, not all games at launch (not sure if any) will have in game 5.1. as for triple a list games, i think halo is supposed to be, or at least is being hyped as being, the next big thing. rumors on xbox.ign.com say that tony hawk 2x is going to have the ability to create bigger custom parks due to the 10 gig drive (it's been upped from the 8 originally said to have) plus it should also be internet ready once the system goes "online" in the new year.

as for the hdtv movie support, does anyone know if microsoft is trying to pass off 480p as hdtv, or whether it will do hardware scaling? i'd prefer the latter but i'm not going to get my hopes up.

not sure what my point is in any of this, just thought i'd add my 2 cents...
                Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
                That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

• SiliGoose
                  • Aug 2000

does anyone know if microsoft is trying to pass off 480p as hdtv, or whether it will do hardware scaling? i'd prefer the latter but i'm not going to get my hopes up.
                  No one knows for sure. Microsoft stated it would be possible for the system to actually scale DVD to 1080i (they may have mentioned other resolutions too). However, they have never expanded upon that statement. At this point we're all just hoping the feature exists. Realisticaly, it shouldn't be too much to ask of the hardware.

Quite a few developers have announced games with HD support. Most seem to be shooting for 720p.

-Sili
                  www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                    • Nov 2000

one thing i haven't thought of before is what system it'll be running. is it windows ce (like the dreamcast--i think) or is it 2000? at any rate, does this mean we'll be able to take advantage of all the dvd-rom features so many dvds have? i personally have never accessed any special dvd-rom features since i don't have access to one, nor have i planned on going htpc. this might solve that.

and i should also add that if my last post didn't make any sense (or make any points) it's 'cause it was late saturday night and i was about to watch a movie and my friend was bugging me to get off the computer... anyway the moral of the story is that death race 2000 is great.

Comment

• SiliGoose
                      • Aug 2000

The OS is totally custom. It does contain some elements of DirectX though. Microsoft is pretty quick to mention it shares virtually nothing with any previous version of Windows.

does this mean we'll be able to take advantage of all the dvd-rom features so many dvds have?
                      My first instinct is to say no. However, the DVD player in the Xbox is purely software driven so it's possible.

-Sili
                      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2000

Well, it finally seems as if we are seeing the reversal of fortunes here for technology.

Seems Xbox will be delayed for it's Japan introduction, but is still on schedule for it's home base release of November 8th. All I have to say is "Ahh-well!"

Posted in the NY Times:

August 27, 2001

Delays Japan Xbox Launch to Feb
                        By REUTERS

Filed at 11:38 a.m. ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp (news/quote) said on Monday it would delay the Japanese launch of its Xbox game console to February 22 from an initially planned debut late this year in a bid to ensure its success on home turf first.

While the delay means Microsoft will miss the key year-end shopping season in the lucrative Japanese market, analysts said the move was widely expected.

``We had expected the Xbox to appear in Japan around March, so this is not a surprise,'' said Nobumasa Morimoto, senior analyst at Tokyo-Mitsubishi Securities.

In its first foray into the hardware business and gaming industry, Microsoft is set to compete with advanced machines from Japanese rivals Sony Corp (news/quote) and Nintendo Co (news/quote)

Sony dominates the market with its PlayStation 2 and Nintendo is preparing to launch its next-generation GameCube.

The Xbox, sporting a bright green ``X'' logo, built-in hard drive and Internet capability, is carrying Microsoft's hope of breaking into the interactive home entertainment market and driving new growth.

``The Xbox is Microsoft's biggest challenge in the 21st century,'' Hirohisa Ohura, managing director of the company's Japanese unit, told a news conference.

``We want to first succeed in the United States and then ride the wave of popularity into the Japanese market.''

NO TECHNICAL PROBLEMS

Microsoft reiterated that the next-generation Xbox would hit shelves in the United States on November 8 as scheduled, defying growing concerns about possible delays.

Earlier this month, brokerage Thomas Weisel Partners said in a research note that development of the Xbox could be delayed up to four weeks because of a problem with a motherboard made by Intel Corp (news/quote)

On Monday, Microsoft said it would ship an initial 600,000 to 800,000 of the consoles in the United States.

It also reiterated that it aimed to ship 1.5 million units by the end of the U.S. holiday shopping season.

That compares with Sony's target of 20 million PlayStation 2 consoles worldwide by the end of March. The market leader has sold nearly 15 million to date and its game machines account for almost two-thirds of the U.S. home-use game market.

SOFTWARE UP TO SCRATCH?

Analysts said Microsoft would likely have a difficult time in winning a big share of the Japanese market because of timing, a relatively poor software line-up, and the difficulty competing with Japanese rivals.

``The Xbox may attract game maniacs, but it will have a hard time reaching a large customer base here because the price is likely to be higher than other consoles and its software line-up weaker than its rivals','' Morimoto said.

``Sony's PS2 is probably number one. Nintendo, because they are Japanese and because they are out to market sooner, probably has more likely of a chance of being second. That doesn't leave much room for Microsoft,'' said Lisa Spicer, senior analyst for ING Baring.

Microsoft's Ohura said about 70 software developers were currently working on more than 130 software titles in Japan. Between 12 and 20 of those, including the hot-selling ''Onimusha,'' a Japanese samurai game made by Capcom Co Ltd, are expected to be released at the February launch.

The company has not announced a price for Xbox in Japan, but analysts expect it to exceed the $290 for Sony's PlayStation 2, which went on sale last March, and $208 for Nintendo's GameCube, set to hit stores in Japan on September 14.

Microsoft is expected to sell Xbox in the United States for an estimated retail price of $299.

Bing
                        Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
                          • Aug 2000

I can't wait! My wife got to play one today!

It looks like Microsoft is going to force us to buy Xbox in a bundle. Console+Memory card+3games. I originally thought only the smaller retailers would have to follow this model but now it looks like they're going to try to force it everywhere.

Not necessarily bad but it just feels odd.

-Sili
                          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Aug 2000

Are they really forcing us to get a bundle? Do we have a choice in games?

The EB bundle sounds like a good option, "You will have several bundle selections to choose from, all loaded with the hottest titles and accessories. Some of our bundles will include the DVD Movie Playback Kit."

Bing
                            Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
                              • Aug 2000

Yea, you'll have your choice of games. I'm still not sure how strict they'll be on the bundle thing but it looks like the preferred way to sell the console.

On the other side, Nintendo isn't even allowing retailers to take reservations. They want a clean launch that is clearly the opposite of their competition.

-Sili
                              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                                • Nov 2000

according to my eb sheet, the bundle you get is:

A) the xbox

B) one of:
                                fuzion frenzy
                                project gotham racing
                                halo
                                nfl fever 2002
                                oddworld: munch's oddysee

C) one of:
                                airforce delta storm
                                dead or alive 3
                                fuzion frenzy
                                project gotham racing
                                halo
                                mad dash racing
                                madden 2002
                                nascar heat
                                nfl fever 2002
                                nhl hitz
                                oddworld: munch's oddysee
                                test drive off road
                                tony hawk 2x

D) one of:
                                xbox controller
                                xbox dvd remote by microsoft
                                xbox memory card by microsoft

all this for $699.99 cdn.

Comment

• P-Dub
                                  Office Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

So I would have to pick one from A, B, C, and D? Does the box not come with a controler? or is it a second controller in D?

Idealy, I'd like to get the box, 2 contollers, one game the dvd remote and a memory card. Not that it's actually going to happen.
                                  Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                                    • Nov 2000

yeah, sorry it was a little unclear as to what comes with the xbox. it does come with one controller. and, yes, you automatically get A, the xbox, and have to chose one from each category. they also told me at eb that although they don't have prices for any peripherals yet (like the hdtv av pack) they will closer to launch and you can add it to your preorder.

i should also mention that you have to put down $100 cdn (pre-order date is sept 1st) and you can keep adding to it if you want between that time and the pick up date which is november 8th. you have to pick it up within 48 hours of launch day at which time you have to pay off whatever is the balance.

i think that's everything from the sheet i have (which you can pick up in store).

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2000

Good info, I think I would take Halo, nhl hitz, DVD remote.

It the EB thing the deal to get for us Canadians? I'm wondering if it would be more cost effective to purchase through somewhere in canada?

Bing
                                      Bing

Comment

• Huskerduck
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Oct 2000

Bing,
                                        where did you get your info that the DVD player is progressive?

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
                                        Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                                          • Nov 2000

in the sept 2001 issue of sound and vision (pg 113 to be exact), it's mentioned in the back that both the xbox and the eventuall panasonic gamecube (a nintendo/panasonic game system/dvd player) will be progresive scan dvd players.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2000

Mark, this is from cut from EBGames XBox FAQ's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                            DVD Questions

Will I be able to watch DVD movies at full resolution with this?
                                            The Xbox will have full DVD video and audio support, comparable to most DVD players out on the market today. That includes full HDTV support, which includes 480p, 720p, and 1080i component resolutions but you’ll need the High Definition AV pack to take advantage of those. Yes, that means progressive scan, so you can cool down your little message board fights over the issue. Will it compare to high-end DVD players? Probably not, but it is very close. But it’s definitely looking to beat PS2 in terms of quality AV output.

Will the Xbox play DVDs right out of the box?

In what seems like another move to cut costs of the initial price of the system, you won’t be able to play DVDs right of the box. Instead, you’ll have to purchase a remote control kit that will basically include a piece of hardware or software and a remote control that will allow you to play normal DVDs on your system. Most likely this is to avoid having to pay the somewhat pricey DVD licensing fees on every system that ships to stores. The price of the license will be included in the remote control pack, which will most likely cost in the $20-30 range.
                                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bing
                                            Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2000

Paul, keep your eyes & ears peeled for any Canadian place that may take pre orders....

Bing
                                              Bing

Comment

• Huskerduck
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Oct 2000

thanks Bing

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
                                                Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                                                  • Nov 2000

hey. to all the winnipegers out there... i was at eb last night picking up mario kart advance and the sales girl and i were talking about xbox and she told me that their store (the one in st. vital mall) is getting 180 xboxes! i don't know how that's possible and i asked if she meant city wide and she reconfirmed that it was that store. so anyway, i guess it won't be that difficult to get one. preorders start tomorrow.

Comment

• SiliGoose
                                                    • Aug 2000

180 Xboxes all year? -or the first day?

That number sounds very possible for the whole year but not for launch.

I say that because 180 pieces for the year compares somewhat favorably (though a bit low) for the stores in my company (which is much bigger than EB).

-Sili
                                                    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                                                      • Nov 2000

i know, sili. it sounds rediculous, but that's what they said. i'd say you're the one that's right (enough until end of december).

anyway... i did go to eb today for the whoe preorder deal. i didn't put any money down (still kinda not sure what with the gamecube coming too). what i wanted to know was what the deal is with the high def pack. as it turns out it does come with a set of component video cables and a set of stereo audio cables. the guy said it retails for about 39 bucks (cdn of course).

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2000

Matt, is there an EB in Canada that you would have a price on a Xbox?

Bing
                                                        Bing

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                                                          • Nov 2000

bing, i've been going to the one here in winnipeg. don't know how many there are across canada. you can go to their website and order it from there. they also have a store locator on the left hand side margin.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Aug 2000

Thanks Matt!

Well here I'm pressed on the precepice of weither or not to Pre-order the Xbox.

Pro - I want the technology it offers.

Con - Looking at the list of games has left me rather unimpressed.

Basically there are only 2 console games I care to play, 1) MSG Sons of Liberty, 2)Gran Turismo 3. Both of these are Playstation games

NHL 2002 for Xbox would be ok, but I could just play that on my PC, and can output it to my TV from my Geforce3.

So what to do??? (Please don't tell me to buy a PS2 )

Bing
                                                            Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
                                                              • Aug 2000

I agree, the games seem more like genre fillers than system sellers. No doubt some will be quite good but I'm afraid most of the initial games will be average at best (as with last year's PS2 launch).

Metal Gear is coming to Xbox in the form of "Metal Gear X". It's not due until the spring though. It'll be a specialized version of Metal Gear 2.

There's a racing game called Project Gotham that many are comparing to Gran Turismo. The graphics blow GT3 out of the water but the gameplay appears less focused on reality than GT3.

I'm getting Halo for sure. Bungie has never let me down (Marathon, Myth). Plus, I love first person shooters (I just hope there is a keyboard/mouse option).

-Sili
                                                              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Aug 2000

Project Gotham looks to be ok, so long as the cars are real cars and not fantasy cars, I could learn to live with it.

Metal gear X will cetainly be a title to look for. I also read Max Payne will be coming to Xbox, so the game list is already looking promising.

I can't play first person shooters like Halo and Quake, I get terrible dizzy playing those, put me on the wildest roller coaster though and I'll beg for more :B

Anyhow, I went and signed my name right below Trev's... That was kinda cool!

Bing
                                                                Bing

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"