• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Laptop EXPLODES (literally)

From HardOCP.com:

I work as a pc technician for America's largest electronics retailer. Today a customer brought his laptop in for repair and stated that it "exploded". After five years as a tech I thought I had seen it all and was wondering about his perception of "explosion". As I cracked open the box of a five month old Compaq Presario I was hit with a foul stench and immediately knew the chosen words of "explosion" were appropriate. Somehow, someway....this laptops battery totally exploded causing a large fireball and partial disintegration of the computer. The battery caught fire sending a fireball through the front of the laptop blowing a three inch hole through what used to be the floppy on the opposite side of the case. I know that any battery has the potential for danger given the correct circumstances, however this battery met a truly violent end under normal operating conditions. The customer stated that his entire table was burnt to a crisp and would of been true of the whole house if a fire extinguisher was not as handy as it was.

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

:wtf:

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Yikes 8O

Comment

• viragshah
        • Jun 2004

Compaq Explosion

Hi
        I guess my laptop also exploded similiarly, in the Business School and it was on fire. The building also had to be evacuated. Do these incidents happen often? Did anyone get compensation or replacement from Compaq?

I was completely taken aback by the luke warm attitude of the company. They are not bothered or applogetic over it. My laptop was a compaq presario 2139EA. It was just 8 months old. It was in Hybernation mode , when it exploded.

I feel sorry for the Compaq owners. Hope it does not take anyone's life.

Take care,
        Virag
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"