X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jon
    • Mar 2002

Power Supply Capacitors

My Enermax 431 Watt supply recently died (too much hardcore OC I guess) I cracked it open to find some burst caps likely causing the problem. I need 1 x 3300uF, 10v, 12mm wide and 2x4700uF, 16v, 12mm wide. Anyone know where I can get some of these and don't have to order in large quantity? I have called most shops in Winnipeg and have been unable to find the correct physical size and rating.
  • Eduardo
    Moderator emeritus
    • Jun 2002

Jon, sorry but I can't answer your question. I'm just curious what you are OC'ing. I got my Barton 2500 up to 2.23 (11X202) Ghtz but fails Prime95. I currently running stock HSF and voltage. Any ways I'm interested in your results.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Jon, Im not sure if you have a B & E electronics, in winipeg, but you could try them on line..

Or

You may have to ask what minumum order is... But those guys would certainly have them.

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• Jon
        • Mar 2002

Well my old 2100+ could do 3000+ fairly stable... I have a 2500 now but will need some better ram to OC anymore than the 2200Mhz its at right now. This damded ASUS board won't run above 12.5 multiplier unless I cut a bridge on the CPU argh.. I knew I should have stuck with Abit

Does anyone have an SI SATA controller running in RAID-0? I have mine setup this way and its turing in some pretty good performance figures:

I have no basis of comparison on this controller, maybe someone with the same controller can let me know if this is about right. FYI: its the built on SATA controller found on many motherboards eg ASUS A7N8X

Comment

• Eduardo
          Moderator emeritus
          • Jun 2002

Wow 8O Fast drive speeds. I currently have an IDE drive so no raid for me

Keep me informed of your progress. I'm hoping to hit around 2.4 with air cooling and no mods. :huh

Comment

• Jon
            • Mar 2002

Here is the max I could get out of my Barton 2500 using an SK6 with Delta fan. It can run prime 95 at that setting without crashing, but it does require the fairly loud delta fan. I run it at about 2300 with a normal fan and a slight voltage bump.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Feb 2002

Hi Jon sorry I came late to the party...try Active Electronics on King Edward

Active Electronic Components Depot
              106 King Edward Street East
              Winnipeg, MB R3H0N8 204-786-3131
              Fax: 204-779-7521

"A RONSTER!"
              Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Feb 2002

I currently have an IDE drive so no raid for me
                Eduardo...fyi...you can do RAID configurations with IDE drives. You just need the controller built-in to the board or an external IDE Raid controller card.

l8r

"A RONSTER!"
                Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

EJ, with a SATA to PATA adapter, you could use your existing IDE drives with the A7N8X's onboard SATA RAID controller.

You don't get the performance benifit that SATA brings to the table, but you do gain the performance benifit of RAID striping.

A popular one is Highpoint's Rockethead 100

More Info

Or I found this one on a search...

More Info

Bing
                  Bing

Comment

• Jon
                    • Mar 2002

I am actually using 2 of those High Point Rocket head's matched with 2 Western Digital 40GB Drives with 8meg cache. The drive score I achieved above is alot better than the same 2 drives scored running on a Highpoint IDE RAID Controller. I am assuming that the SI SATA controller is simply better.

I have tried Active Electronics as well as Ross Electronics, Ross has one of the Caps I need, but still can't find the other. I'll keep looking, I bought a replacement in the mean time.

By the way Bing what happened to the site? haven't seen any action there in awhile, and what are ya doing these days since the plant shut down??

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Nice to see more Winnipegers posting here:T You might try www.Solen.ca and see if they have what you need. They're in quebec but are fast on shipping and great to deal with.

Comment

• Jon
                        • Mar 2002

Yea I used to work with Bing in Saskatoon, but now I live in the Peg

For a $1 part I was really hoping to find it locally, but I suppose its worth $10 shipping to fix a $100 PSU.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Aug 2000

Yeah, Jon's the one that introduced me to Hardcore Overclocking and PC modding when we worked together :LOL:

Jon, I have been working for the U of S ITS Networks department.. It is a term position however. Why? Have you got work for me?

I haven't done anything with my site due to laziness mainly. I had to take it down because my web host was complaining on the monthly traffic. I though OK, time to redo the web page anyway, but I just haven't got around to it, plus I don't have much to say or lack the passion these days.

Bing
                          Bing

Comment

• Jon
                            • Mar 2002

Dave Scarfe is working there isn't he? that's what I heard last anyways.

Maybe you should move here just might be work for ya heh heh

BTW, what do you do with all thoes axtra video cards you seem to be going through, I think its time to upgrade my GeForce 2.... Simcity 4 is pretty hard on the ole card.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Aug 2000

Hey Jon, yeah, I was working with Dave and Emily..... The only thing about moving is christine has a good job with Sasktel, so I would need to make enought to off set that for the interim.

The only spare card I have is that old Matrox G400 Max (Dual Head). The Hercules GF3 is in the A7V333 system and the Radeon 9700P is in the A7N8X-D. I would like a newer card but I just haven't been playing games of late and as such will wait for R400 or NV40 :P

Bing
                              Bing

Comment

• Jon
                                • Mar 2002

I thought you had a GeForce 4 too? Your 9700 is still pretty much top end, not too much of a reason to replace it just yet, but feel free to ship it out this way when your done with it

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Maybe you should move here just might be work for ya heh heh
                                  :banana: that would be so cool!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

I just talked to a tech here and he suggests ordering from http://www.digikey.com They're in North Dakota but will drive up and ship via purolator from out side of the boarder and the prices on their web site are in cdn funds. He's being using them for awhile and says they're great to work with...plus the costs are more then reasonable.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2000

You say that not Andrew, but after a while you'd get tired of me :wedgie: (thanks)

Andrew, I have always purchased form Digikey for Corning and myself... Great service.

Jon, I returned the GF4 for the performance wasn't to my liking. It had a serious image ringing problem, and plus I decided to wait for the 9700p. That was like a year ago now that I think of it... :roll:

That's pretty incredible perfomance from the Rocket Heads adpaters Jon. I may have to get a pair of those Rocket Heads myself as I have two 40Gb Maxtors sitting around doing nothing. There were from my old RAID array in the A7V333

Bing
                                      Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Bing you're right its probably for the best you're in toontown...you'd get me into serious trouble with envy if you were here in winnipeg.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2000

The hell are you talking about Andrew.... :twisted: You have some pretty serious "enviable" toys yourself :LOL:

Bing
                                          Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Bing that might be true but you've a Beemer:drool: ...and a titanium spork ;x(

Jon I was thinking about your PS and I wonder why the caps failed in the first place. I'm a little concerned that simply replacing the caps might not fix the root of the problem...and I'd hate to see the new caps explode if there's a short or blown resistor etc somewhere else that caused the orignial caps to go. I'm sure you know what you're doing though so keep us posted on how the surgery goes!

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2000

Andrew, it's just an old car Now that Ti spoon is to die for...heheh

Maybe the capacitors were built with that faulty electrolyte that has plauged the IBM and Abit motherboards. Actually Abit and IBM where the only ones that have claimed there maybe problems associated with bursting caps, the rest of the world is turning a blind eye On the UofS campus there was/is a huge program going on where all the IBM pc's are having the mother boards replace just for the threat of the leaking/bursting caps. "That's a Huge Bitch" amount of PC's 8O

Jon, also fried some caps in an older K7A board as well. I think he's just pumping up the volume to much :rofl:

Bing
                                              Bing

Comment

• Jon
                                                • Mar 2002

Yes that was an Abit KA7 KX133 Athlon board, almost every cap on the board burst I am quite sure my Enermax supply fell victim to some of these faulty caps, the supply is a little over 2 years old. If I do eventually find some replacement caps I'll let ya know how it goes...

Comment

• Eduardo
                                                  Moderator emeritus
                                                  • Jun 2002

Girls, I hate to break up the tea party. Just kidding. But I do have a question you smart guys might be able answer...

I have a 120 GB drive with multiple partitions and a 20 GB from my old system, both IDE. If I want to convert to raid 0 or 1 :huh: what would I need to do? Will I lose my current data? I would like to have some reliablity with my data but at what cost.

Comment

• Jon
                                                    • Mar 2002

Well if your looking for reliability you want RAID 1(mirror). I would have to say the easiest way your going to make it happen would be to buy another identical model of 120GB harddrive and creating a mirrored array by replicating your orginal drive. Another possible option would be to mirror the 20GB onto the 120 GB then use the remaining 100GB for other stuff. If you are running Windows 2000 or XP and are not booting off the 20GB drive you should be able to do that in software with out too much pain. I don't have detailed instructions handy but just play around in the disk manager a bit

Comment

Working...
                                                    😀
                                                    😂
                                                    🥰
                                                    😘
                                                    🤢
                                                    😎
                                                    😞
                                                    😡
                                                    👍
                                                    👎
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"