X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

Is there any reason that I can't

Take an A-socket MB, and install it in an IBM Aptiva that is a piddly 100 mhz, and basically create a new PC using all the other standard components that came with the Aptiva?

Maybe MB different size? Power supply issues? Hell, maybe I could just assemble on a big flat board and hang it on a wall as "art", but still use as a PC? lol.

I made what could be conceded as the wrong MB decision. Later, when they are introduced, I plan to get a dual T-bird A socket MB. Take the old board, get the lower priced CPU, install it in the Aptiva and have basically a good "spare" PC with decent power.

Lex
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

nope sorry lex IBM loves to use too much proprietary hardware etc so upgrading IBM's isn't as easy as it should be. The best hope you have is pulling the harddrive, floppy drive , CDROM, monitor, possible the video and sound cards if they aren't part of the mobo (highly likely though) and buy a new case (cheap)....honestly though it may be cheaper just to sell the Aptiva cheap and build a new one from scratch.

Comment

• Lexman
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2000

What does the wiring come with anyway, the case, or the mb?

I know IBM is famous for that, as compaq "was" or is. I heard they were changing their way, but can't confirm that.

Lex

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Lex

Wiring loom is mostly from the power supply, and a few are attached to the front panel, switches/indicator lights. So if you buy a case that includes the power supply you get it all.

BTW the Addtronics available below, are very well built, quite easy to work on (the MB tray removes as a separate entity, all drive bay devices are on quick remove sliders, sides are quick remove etc, etc)

Jon and I have been using these for many years and they have proven tanklike

Also, the SuperMicro cases listed on the same page are just custom versions of Addtronics with superficial differences. And not worth the price difference

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Addtronics has a new ATX Midtower model, the last several systems I have built for friends and myself have used it, the "key" is a 300Q power supply, particularly where Athons are concerned, and ESPECIALLY if you want to pair an Athlon with an original GeForce based video cards, which are some of the most power hungry on the planet for so-called "consumer" grade video boards.
          My personal fave is ASUS or ABIT socket A boards paired with Elsa Gladiac (Geforce 2; lower power consumption AND faster). Plus, the Gladiac driver panel supports custom resolutions.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lexman
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2000

Thanks for the tips guys, but I just built my supercomputer. I know I should have gotten the Asus board, but I didn't. But this system seems to be performing better and better as I get configuration issues resolved.

I was mostly looking at something very cheap to make a low powered box into something worthwhile.

Lex

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"