X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Cloudmark Email Spam Filter

At work I get so many spam mails it's ridiculous. I get on average 100 a day. Needless to say every morning is spent deleting the spam mail from the legitimate mail. A Monday morning is the worse for the spam does not let up over the weekend.

I have resolved to the fact that soon my employment will be done and I will not have to worry about spam at work anymore. However I see my home account is on the rise as well now, and I'm really getting some nasty Adult ones that really offend me...... to the point that it really pisses me off!

I read about a Spam filter today called Cloudmark.

Cloudmark SpamNet saves you time and frustration by automatically stopping spam. The service is free and easy to use. Spend time reading your email -- not deleting unwanted spam messages.

Not only do you protect your own Inbox, but you also shield the entire community from spam each time you block a message. Help others and join SpamNet now.
    Get It Here

Well I willing to give it a try, however before I do, I want to be sure that it isn't some ploy that could worsen by setting it up.

Anybody have thoughts on this program or technique of Spam filtering at all?

Apperantly it only works with Outlook right now which is fine by me for that is what I use.

Bing
    Bing
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Looks like a cool idea, but I have to wonder about it being centrally controlled, or being reliant on a server-based spam filter. If the server goes down you can't receive email? Plus they claim about a 75% success rate. I believe I can get a higher rate using a heuristic algorithm, which I plan to implement some day when time permits in my own spam filter, which will be an end-user piece of software that would work similar to anti-virus programs. It would monitor incoming emails for spam, and automatically filter out unwanted messages. Updates would be issued periodically to make the filter more effective over time. Initially I plan to make it POP3 based but could offer server-based solutions down the road (SMTP front end, Notes, Exchange, etc, for business use).

Not only that, I believe I'll be able to heuristically detect many virus emails (such as Klez) without using virus definitions.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Thanks Kevin, I never though that it would reroute my mail traffic at all. I just thought it runs as a standalone app that uses a data base of know spammers to block mail.
      Security / Privacy
      The Cloudmark SpamNet service places the highest importance on your email privacy and security. The legitimate email on your computer is never transmitted or shared with anyone - your email never leaves your computer. All the spam checking occurs in your email program and no one can ever view your messages. The unwanted spam messages that you report to SpamNet are only seen by SpamNet operators at Cloudmark. No one else, including SpamNet users, have access to your reported spam.

How soon before the Patz Spam Buster is ready?

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Wow, that's equivilent to what my hotmail account was doing before I let it go. That's a serious amount of spam!

Kevin, if I may say so, if you wait until you have the time, you will never do the spam filter. You just have to make the time for what's important. That's what I have to do for my business. Sometimes you guys wonder where the time comes from for me I guess. It's just a matter of determination, that you will make something happen. Then it's just to have the perseverance to hang with the tough times, and roll with the good times.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lex
          Kevin, if I may say so, if you wait until you have the time, you will never do the spam filter. You just have to make the time for what's important. That's what I have to do for my business. Sometimes you guys wonder where the time comes from for me I guess.
          I was actually going to ask you that, where do you find the time to run your cable business, work full time, raise a daughter, etc. I'd love to do the spam filter, but there's that little thing where I'm programming at work all day, and find little motivation to do more programming when I get home. And then there's Heather who thinks I spend too much time on the computer as it is. :roll: But I will do it, even if it takes a rich relative dying and willing me a million dollars or something.

I figured you have the time to do cables since you're single. Imagine having a wife and then all the cable stuff lying around. I'd probably be stuck with (cough cough)M...MMon... Oh, I can't say it!! :B :LOL:

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
          My HT Site

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"