X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

My Asus A7N266 fix for my Abit gone bad

Well, it won't make a country song, or will it? But here's what happened. For me to be a computer professional, sometimes I don't think they like me very much, lol. Read on...

I had an Abit system built 4 months ago, and it continuously wanted to randomly blue screen and reboot. I determined it was the Mobo, at least what else could it be? General protection fault was the error.

So, I replaced it with an Asus A7N266. fresh partition and format, installed W2K, and then shelved the system for a few weeks. Then my Tyan S2460 developed problems. So it was time to get the Asus loaded up with the stuff I use while I get my Tyan replaced with something.

Immediately, when I started loading software, I noticed that if I moved my mouse when the hourglass was on (processing), the whole system would lockup tight as a drum. All I could do was reset. I learned quickly to press the activate button on the mouse, then clear of it while it was processing. Well, while that wasn't very good, I did it anyway to avoid lockups.

Then, boom, I got a pop up window after installing one of my programs that said:

Error writing file blah blah blah, your data has been lost due to hardware error or network error. (that's the short version of message, I can't find the text I wrote out right at moment)Saying ok would produce another, and another message maybe 6-8 times before you got to a point of no popups. Then you start doing something else and it happened again. Once this happened, rebooting did nothing, the problem was there to stay.

Since I had reloaded windows 2 times, and both times this problem came back, I decided it was time for more drastic actions. So, I removed both HDs, and made the slave that I hadn't even connected during this install, the old main drive, and threw the old drive in the floor.

What do you know, after a format and load, the system has miraculously become stable now, no lockups in 2 days, and no pop up error screens.

Diagnosis- Bad Quantum Fireball HD. Live and learn.

Now, I am wondering, if the problem HD had been the Abit's problem as well, just the Abit didn't handle the error with the OS as gracefully as the Asus. Anyone? Remember, the Abit blue screened and rebooted, but the Asus gave pop up messages.

I could be proved wrong yet. But I am doubting so.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Lex,

That's very similar to my problem. I went through 4 motherboards in 6 months because I kept having problems. My new motherboard (Abit KR7A) seemed very stable so I was quite surprised when it suddenly began exhibiting stability issues.

Someone suggested I use a piece of freeware that checks your RAM and sure enough...one of my 256MB sticks was bad. The system would see all 512MB at boot-up but there was enough corruption that certain OS functions and certain applications would kill the system.

I'm still convinced the first motherboard was bad but I think the Abit KG7-RAID I now have hanging on my wall (nice art) is perfectly useable.

BTW, Crucial replaced the bad RAM for free -after 6 months! Great company, Crucial is.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Good to hear that you may have found your problems Guys. Maybe Lex may cut Abit some slack now as they are the best enthusiast board on the market ( he just doesn't know it)

It's amazing how much trouble RAM can cause. During my set up of XP I had nothing but troubles, untill I removed the one stick of RAM that I had marked a while back as not able to run at CAS2.

I have a simular story however not hardware related....

I had been running a lot of funky programs on my PC of late. Well I start getting this "Windows had recovered from a fatal error" message everytime I boot and once windows has loaded. I look at the other clients on the PC and none of them get this error. I look at the registry and see what may be loading in my environment that is not in the others... Nothing stands out.

So I start mucking around with system restore, and tried various points in time, before I started running funky programs. Nothing helped remove this error message. So then I used MSCONFIG and load only system files trying to trouble shoot this.... Well things went ugly from there... It ened up really screwwing things up and would not load the system fonts, desktop items...etc, and to add insult to injury, the system restore was now inactive, no restore points could be found :x :x :x :x

I then used the XP disk to repair the setup, basically a re-install over top of the existing OS (Xp does this for you). After this was done, the system would still not load the fonts and desktop items, and to top it off the error message was still there. Given my choices, I formatted the partion and reinstalled Windows fresh..

So now all is dandy, however I was crusing the XP support site only to find this Here GRRRRR! A bug and then a patch???? :?: So if I would have found this sooner I could have just run a patch that would have eliminated the flag.... Freeeak I hate crap like this! :evil: MS was probally working on the patch when I was having the problems as the fix was made March 8th. :evil:

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

ExTREMELY annoying, I'm sure!

And folks wonder why "ordinary" people (i.e., non technial) hate computers.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Bing. We feel your pain. :evil:

-Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Thanks Jon for the thoughts

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Whew, misery loves company, lol.

Well, I suppose anything is possible, there could be a problem with this Crucial memory. 2 @ 256K. However, I did the initial install with 1 stick only. However, it does seem very strange that operations are now much better on the other hard drive. Only froze up once or twice. (possible other flukes), and no disk write errors. Software installs much smoother this time too.

But talk about memory errors, wow, that Tyan outdid everything. Stop anyone talking about getting a Tyan S2460, unless the place has a very good return policy. Some say, it was my Samsung registered memory, that Crucial would have done the trick. Well, I am not convinced. I am now gettingi the Asus dual board, yeah, with few PCI slots, but hopefully a more reliable system. That Tyan would pop the memory out, 4-5 times a week. Just like phuoy! I don't like this dimm, lol. I am staying with the Samsung memory, as I understand it, the new Asus is more forgiving in regard to memory. In fact, doesn't even have to have registered for 2 dimms. So they say, but I am staying with registered.

Jon, your right, a homebuilt computer would scare the bajeepers out of the average Joe. Even a Dell they have to call a number to get it fixed stresses them out, haha. Many wouldn't have a clue about troubleshooting, fixing problems, IDEs, DIMMs, re-installs, etc... Lucky us. Right? Tell me Right? Right? Right?

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"