X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Asus A7M266-D + XP1900 X 2

Well, finally, I seem to have a stable system. As you probably recall, I had quite an adventure with my dual MP-1600 Tyan S2460.

So, I sent it all back, and traded for the Asus with dual XP-1900s. Cost me 166.60 more. But I had to have something.

Upon install, it went to CMOS first time, seemed to be booting,but the keyboard didn't work! Fear not, apparently I plugged in one of the system indicator lights incorrectly that was keeping the keyboard from functioning. Strange. Anyway, I reseated the Mobo just to make sure all was ok at the keyboard connection, and I unplugged all the indicator connectors except for the power switch. Houston, we had lift off!

I installed the USB 2.0 software for the 4 plug USB port. (Remember,due to north bridge problem, USB ports on the mobo, are practically useless. As it turns out, unlike the other vendors, Asus just left them off entirely, and included the card. The Card will function in a 64 bit slot, which is good, because you only have 3 standard PCI slots! That's the worst part of the MPX chipset.

Designed primarily as a server, I suppose those slots serve a prime function in that market. But for home use, they are nearly useless. Operation has been very smooth outside of a failure running 3D Mark. I had heard that there was a compatibility problem between Ge-force 3 graphics, and the MPX board. Perhaps my test confirmed that, I don't know. I will run it again later when I can plan on a system failure, lol.

Anyway, I am thrilled to just have the hood back on this thing with the memory in place once from the get go,and no memory ejection problems as with my Tyan.

In short, I give this board reasonable marks so far. Time will tell as to it's longevity, and reliability long term-

Comapred to what I had though, I give it an enthusiastic :T

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Excellent news, Lex. I'm very happy to see the monster dualy in action again.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Once you had some dual lovin, there's no going back :twisted:

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Thanks guys! Been running now for at least 24 hours straight, no problems at all. Happy as lark.

Lex
        Doug

Comment

• Trevor Schell
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I bow to you..Dually.

Trevor
          My HomeTheater S.E.
          Sonically Enhanced
          C5
          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

haha Trev

Well, guys, there is a G-force 3 incompatibility. Not sure what I will do on that yet. Locked up in 3DMark, and when I play Counterstrike, and it exits out, the white color becomes grey. Have to reboot to fix. But if I don't play the game, works ok.

Lex
            Doug

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"