X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Pimping a Lian-Li PC65-U

As most of you know I purchased a new Lian-Li PC65-U for my sometime :?: soon, new PC (Trevor's fault :P ).

I thought I would start with the case, first collecting parts and getting it ready while I wait for the new horizon parts to come to market.

To kick off the project I purchased these Items;

-Lian-Li 65-U (USB) aluminum case with factory installed window
    -Enermax EG465P / 431 watt ps
    -Pioneer 106s DVD rom Slot load
    -2 Maxtor D740X Hardrives, 40gb, ATA133, 7200 RPM
    -2 Cold Cathode light kits to pimp out the case.

So, I have completed my first mod tonight. I made an aluminum face plate for the DVD drive so it would be a closer match to the Lian-Li brushed finish. I think it really adds to the sculpted aluminum look of the case

The Lian-Li is such a beautifull case, it seems such a shame to place beige drives into the bays. I thought about painting the drives, however I though why not go the full distance and really trick the case out. Have a look and tell me what you think...

Edit: Updated image

Click Here to see more of how it was done

I found the results to be really worth it, however the hard part is yet to come. My plextor will require a lot more work I think....

Stay tuned as there is lots more to come...

Bing
    Bing
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Bing,

That is an incredible piece of work. You should be proud.

I own a PC65 too (as well as the same power supply and Pioneer DVD drive) and have seen pics of this type of mod. I'd love to do it but damn if it doesn't look extremely difficult.

My drives are blue to match my cold cathode (and the Lian-li's power LED).

The one problem I found with the PC65 is the air flow. The single 80mm exhaust fan just didn't remove enough hot air (even with the Enermax and its two fans). I solved it by adding a top blowhole (92mm). It has lowered my CPU temps another 5 degrees C.

Where are you planning on mounting your cold cathodes?

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Thanks Sili,

It's actually not hard at all, you just have to be committed and you can do it

I'd like to see a picture of your case, it sounds nice.

I'm not a fan of the blow hole, but I guess if it helps, it should be considered. I'll think about that, certainly I want the case to be cool. Thanks for that timely tip!

I'm not sure where I'm placing the CC's. The ones I bought are the 4" variety, I thought these would be more verstile for placement due to the size. I'm sorcing some boxes for the inverters right now. I have these duall AA battery boxes that may work with a bit of modification. as well i need to find some new power switches. the ones that came with the kit are nice however don't quit fit into a 3.5 bay. Where have you placed your CC? Along the back corner, vertical?

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

An alternative to a blowhole is to add another 80mm exhaust fan beneath the stock fan. I've seen lots of people add a fan there.

I'll try to get a pic up once I've got my CC working. My original CC was defective (inverter, perhaps). I've got a replacement (12.5") on order. I think the vertical mount at either the front or back is the best plan.

Where did you get the 4" CCs? I might want to add one of those to the opposite side to get a more even light coverage.

I'm considering adding a fan in the plexiglass. It would be blowing in on the video card. I probably won't do it as my temps are fine...at this point I'm tweaking for the sake of tweaking!

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Wow Bing you never cease to amaze me with your tallents!

I'm going to play with the fans I've got installed now...simply put they are still too loud...and thats after I moved them off the 12 volt line to the 6 volt. Still case temps don't move much even under duress

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

Thanks Andrew! I was going to suggest a fan bus controller, however if you are running at 6 volts, thats the equivelent of throttling the fans... I guess the old rule applies, if you want a muscle car, it's going to be louder than normal

Silli, I bought the 4" CC's from a place in Canada E-Compuvision They are slick and fit nicely width wise in the case. I may add one more depending on how well these light up the system.

I seen this 5.25" bay fan system that has 3 fans, I think it would look cool with the aluminum face, placed in the top position. It in effect be like a blow hole. However I don't know if I want to give up the bay. I have also pondered the extra 80mm below the original one, that would be the the easiest, however I would hove to mod the orignal fan as well so they both matched. That's my thought anyway..... Or I colud place a bank or 3 x60's down to the left of the original exhaust fan. Lots of options

When I first invisioned this project, I bought a port that I was going to cut into the side glass that would allow the CPU fan to draw in fresh outside air. I thought it would look cool and would work well. However I think it would just get in the way and spoil the looks. I may add a fan or to to the side window, but I'll do that if only it is required. I thrying to maintain a clean uncluttered look, however it doen't take long to stack it all up with tweaks. :LOL:

These type of tweaks are the most fun!

Bing
            Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

I just finished my Plextor today. I decided to bring it into work and use the CNC milling machine. The Plextor has a very thin top- line when cut and I wanted it absolutely straight. This allowed me to use the cut-out blank as a door cover as well.

I was a hair off in the eject button, but no biggie, I just made a button plate by hand that covers the mis-alignment, it actually looks slicker than I could have hoped.

Check it out.....

Here is the map once the co-ordinates are entered in to the CNC mill.

Here the blank is being cut. That's cooling fluid in the blank.

Here it is after the milling.

Here is the original face inserted into the milled blank. I painted the original face aluminum and used the cut-out for the door insert. Note: the hand made button plate.

Here it is finished and installed. I tested it in my current PC and it works great!

Total time for job would be 3-4 hours.

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

heckuva job Bing! That thing is gonna be beautiful, heck, already is. Not bad for a processorless PC, ROFL.

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• SiliGoose
                  • Aug 2000

Again...fantastic work.

You can almost miss the drives if you're not looking for them.

-Sili
                  www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2000

Thanks Lex, maybe you could spare an extra CPU, seeing as your case has 2 :LOL:

Thanks Sili, some how it's looking cleaner than I had anticipated

Next up, floppy drive.

here is another project I just finished to night. The cold cathodes inverter boxes :P

For those of you with cold cathode kits that want to make boxes for your inverters, here is my solution. Sure a few wraps of electrical tape will do the same job, but then that's not why we are here :

How to Here

Bing
                    Bing

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

Heck, I don't even know what a cold cathode kit is, but it sure is perty with that tech flex on it, haha. Now, what does this thing do?

:

Lex
                      Doug

Comment

• Bing Fung
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2000

They're lights

Great eye Lex, I like that flexy tech stuff. The kit did not come with it. I had it lying around and put it on.

Bing
                        Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Aug 2000

I finished my floppy drive tonight. It took the most filing and care to make it look good.

This picture shows how integrated the look is.

Next up is the Live Drive...

Bing
                          Bing

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

You make me sick Bing! : I am jealous, I want one, I want one!

Beautiful

Lex
                            Doug

Comment

• Bing Fung
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Aug 2000

Heheh... :LOL:

Lex, if you want one let me know, I could take an order.... :P

Bing
                              Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Hey Bing!!

:E:E:E

Awesome,,buddy! I am totally impressed. Not to many would take the time to do that. It sure looks to have paid off.
                                Bing sets a new standard for pimping a PC. 8O

As most of you know I purchased a new Lian-Li PC65-U for my sometime soon, new PC (Trevor's fault ).
                                Glad that I could be of assistance. :B

As for a processor,,I have one you could try repairing.
                                Also have a fan for you,,if you can find a new motor for it.

BTW,,what processor direction are you taking with it..

PS,,I need a new computer now Too!

Trevor
                                My HomeTheater S.E.
                                Sonically Enhanced
                                C5
                                Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2000

Thanks Trev!

I tell ya that 1700+ would make an excellent Keyring :cry:

I'm not sure which way I'm going for the CPU. I'll wait for the new Thoroughbred to come out (March IV) and decide from there.

You do need a new PC and I'm the person to build you one Now that your into a house twice the size, you need more PC's

Bing
                                  Bing

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

Thanx for the offer Bing, I may need it yet. Maybe work out trade, cables for PC tweaks?

More PC problems at the house. More on that someplace else. For now lets focus on the beauty of this CPU'less computer!

Lex
                                    Doug

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"