X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Your input on these component parts.

What do you guys think of these items? a case, 2 mother board options for a 1.4 T-bird, and a graphics card....

I am considering a system with these items. I don't want to get into a 1500-2000 system. What I am looking at is a system that may edge my current system for performance, but not cost a lot. why? Simply, a backup. I feel especially vulnerable with a single system. I would like to have two that are so close in configuration and setup, that if one fails, the other steps up and never misses a beat. In fact, it could come to a syncronized backup procedure.

A customer of CAT build's PCs, and in a bit of an exchange, I am considering this deal.

<a href="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=11-116-104-01.JPG/11-116-104-02.JPG/11-116-104-03.JPG" target="_blank">http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=11-116-104-01.JPG/11-116-104-0
    2.JPG/11-116-104-03.JPG

Motherboard: http://www.soyotek.com/ Look for the K7V Dragon, AND
    Founded in 1987, ECS, the Elitegroup Computer Systems, is a top-notch manufacturer and supplier of several families of computer products in the industry. With almost 30 years of experience, ECS not only produces high-quality products such as motherboards, desktops PC, notebook , Mini PC and semi & fully ruggedized tablets , Gateways ,IoV platform & AI solutions, but also provides customized computer programming and hardware/ software design service for a wide variety of customers.

Video Card: http://www.ati.com/na/pages/products...ddr/index.html

He also proposed a Pioneer DVD player, and 512 meg of RAM

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Doug I fixed the links above for you but in general is this a PC for gaming or just general use? I'm not sure about the motherboard choice seems most people favour the Abits, Asus and ECS's these days but I'm sure Bing can elaborate on that. As far as video cards go its my understanding that the Radeon's are very good for DVD play back but the Geforce cards are better for gaming.

I can comment on the case though since I own the same model only mine is a 3 bay model. I really like its features and easy of use but my problem with mine is that the power supply is mounted vertically down one side of the case so what happens is that the CPU is partially closed off with the CDROM on one side and the power supply on the other and the AGP card blocking the bottom...I had to mount a fan blowing air up past the AGP card to keep the air moving. I'm not sure if this is the same with the 4 bay models or if they changed things since I got mine (mine's nearly 2 years old)

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Very nice Lex! You did a great job specing your soon to be system.

The Soyo looks to be a nice board, however I would shy away from it just because it has the older gen KT266 chip set. It's not a real big deal, but the Elite group offers so much for so little, and it has the SIS chip set which is a well rated and fast chip. It can out perform the AMD 760 and has just only been beat by the soon to be realsed KT266A. Tom's recommends the Elite group for a best bang for buck mobo.

The graphics card is a nice choice, you'll never go wrong with a Radeon, desttop images are top notch as it the DVD playback.

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

OK, update. The Soyo MB, wasn't my idea, but my vendor. Did I say I am working a barter exchange for this PC? Well, I am.

Here's the latest speced out system, take your best shot, I dare ya.

Abit KG7-Raid
        ALPHA PAL 8045 Heatsink
        Enermax 350 watt PS
        AMD 1.4GHZ 266FSB CPU
        (2) 40gb Maxtor 7200 RPM Hard Drives in a RAID 1 array
        512mb PC2100 DDR Ram
        Asus Nvidea 8200 Ge-force 3 with video In/Out
        16X Pioneer DVD ROM
        Floppy Drive
        Directron IMT4000 Midtower Case

CD-R/RW is a non-issue, already own 1.

Ok, gentlemen, start your engines and fire away

Lex
        Doug

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Ok, reliability is a key consideration. DVD playback for progressive scan, not hugely important at this stage. This system MUST BE stable. My current 900 T-bird becomes my backup, and hopefully shop PC.

Graphics wise, Photoshop capabilities are probably as important as anything, in addition to general web page viewing.

Link to the new case:

The best deals on computers, computer parts, desktops, laptops, electronics, tablets, software, gaming, hard drives, CPUs, motherboards, cables, and much more. With fast shipping and great customer service from Houston, Texas!

Thanks Andrew for repairin those links, I did that on the fly in a hurry...

One person told me there were reliability issues with Abit, is that accurate?

One person said the Raydeon was slow, but accurate in 2D graphics, bad in 3D, comments? I must say my Ge-force 2 has been a good performer I have now.

Lex
          Doug

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Oh heck, got to show this case!

Doug

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Man thats got to be the nicest case I've seen in a long time...very classy. If 2D graphics are your bag I think the radeon would be a better choice...you could always swap it out for the Geforce if you wanted but both are great cards.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Lex, the KG7 is the best board going overall, however, even the Elite group K75A beats the KG7 in some benches, that's how much bang you get for buck. However if I was to purchase a board TODAY I would tend towards the KG7. Don't know about stability issues, but I would think the Abit is very stable.

If you want the fastest graphics card possible there is currently only one choice and thats the Geforce 3. Depending on the maker of the card, it dosen't give much up in 2D graphic quality compared to other known 2D cards. I have a Matrox G400 Max, which is the undisputed reference standard in 2D graphics, and My Hercules G3 is equal to it in every 2D image I have seen. I run a 1600x1200 desk top with my G3, where as I did not with my Matrox, it's that much sharper. I think where the Matrox may be slightly better is in the color fill of the pixel/triangles, but I'm searching for faults with that comment. Once you see the pixel and vertex shaders the G3 is capable of, you will not want any other card at this time, trust me.

Well is seems you have really stepped up to the plate so I would say open that wallet wide!

-Abit KG7 Raid
                -Gainward G3

If it came down to the G2 or Radeon, I may chose the Radeon for the G2's are know to not have great 2D images do to inferior caps and filters on the boards, this is not a fault of the G2 chip rather the maker of the boards.

You may as well spring for the 64mb version of the Radeon as well, you might as well keep the price of the neighborhood up :B

Bing
                Bing

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Nice post Bing, and good advice. Well, part if it is up to my horse trader buddy. This system is being traded for in entirity with CATs. Yup, believe it or not. The list is to long to list at present, lol. But I am busy, very busy filling this order, trust me! actually, the list is so long, even with the G3, there will be cash coming my way. Not a lot, but something for the company.

I may in fact get the G3. so, which is best, I see there's a virtual plethora of different G3 cards out there! Any that are better with DVD?
                  thanx,
                  Lex
                  Doug

Comment

• Jariten
                    • Jun 2000

Lex..you unbeliever!

Comment

• Jariten
                      • Jun 2000

Bing..
                      I would still steer away also from the SIS735 Chipset..
                      The KG7 is very stable and the raid feature is good since lex intends to use a raid 1 on it...

Go Lex Go!

=)

Comment

• Bing Fung
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2000

Jariten, why would you steer clear of the Elite group K75A (SIS735)?

It's one of the best deals going, $98 cdn for the mobo, it has built in sound, 10/100 lan, is based on the fast SIS735 chip and is a good solution for those wanting a good low cost, stable AMD platform.

It' not fair to compare the KG7 $300 board to the $98 K75A, but it can hold it's own

It can be a good solution, maybe not for Lex, but I have spec'ed this board on many occations, the toughest thing is finding it in stock as it is in very high demand.

Bing
                        Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

bing they're only a $100 eh....hmmm wonder what my Abit VH6II would go for on ebay

Comment

• Bing Fung
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Aug 2000

Well It's increased to $109, now, but was on a weekly special of $98.

Keep watching for it...

Bing
                            Bing

Comment

• Jariten
                              • Jun 2000

Bing ..because if you read around..there are some people having problems with those boards...

Anyway
                              Don't want to start a fight here ^_^;;;

I would still vouch for the KG7

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Aug 2000

Jariten,

No fight implied, just a friendly discussion

If you read around, people always have trouble with things (KG7's included), It' doesn't summarily mean that particular item is 100% bad. We just tend to hear more about the negitive than the positive.

Every application requires different sets of hardware, depending on the users budget, applications and expectations.

We all can't drive Ferrari's, some of us have to drive RX7's instead

Lex started with wanting a RX7, cheap, fast PC, the K75A would have done the job very well. He however decided he could afford the Ferrari, well then of course the KG7 is now a logical choice.

Bing
                                Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
                                  • Aug 2000

Geez Lex...first you say you want a budget PC and then the real Lexman shows up!!

Your updated components sound good to me (I'm partial to the KG7-Raid as I'm running one right now). The new KT266-A boards ought to be hitting shelves soon so if you're not in a hurry -wait a couple of weeks.

The only thing I'd change is your HSF. Alpha used to be state of the art. They just haven't been able to keep up. They're still well made HSF's but they just don't perform as well as others. And they tend to be overpriced.

That case is cool. That's what really matters!

-Sili
                                  www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

All I can say Bing is Varooom!

Did I mention the Asus NVidia 8200 Ge-Force 3 with Video in/out? That's right, upgraded the video again.

Sili, haha. Well, the heat sink fan is pretty well set, and the board is ordered too. Since I am trading cables for it, and the guy really started out ordering cables to pay for, well, obviously, he won't want to wait a month. So, the PC is ordered and should be arriving in parts by Wed or so this week. Optimistically, Greg is shooting for a ship date of Friday on the PC. That leaves me a few days to finish up 2 more S-video, and another pair of Silvercats.

Actually, I may have to thank him for his order, as a new cables is being born. Stay tuned.

Looking forward to this Farrari, that's for sure! Fact is, I will have to play at least 1 game on it, or Greg threatened to come and take the video card back, lol.

Lex
                                    Doug

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Way to go Lex,,Sounds like you will have a hot new system very soon.

You forgot to mention cables!!..What are you going to connect everything together with?
                                      Time to start up a new sector of the business.

Trevor
                                      My HomeTheater S.E.
                                      Sonically Enhanced
                                      C5
                                      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• SiliGoose
                                        • Aug 2000

Oh yea! Cat Rounded IDE Cables!! I'm there! When can I order?

-Sili
                                        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"