X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Oops?

Hmm...I decided to play with my FSB overclock to see where my limits were.

I had been running my 1.4 Tbird at 1.5 (10x150) just fine. I decided to lower the multiplier a bit and raise the FSB. When I got to 9.5x160 I got a BSOD before Win2K completed booting. No big deal...I'll just back off a bit and re-boot, right?

No. I rebooted and got into the bios but it kept locking up before I could back off to stable settings. I decide to power down and step away for a while.

I come back...power up and the monitor is no longer getting a signal. The system fans all spin and the drives spin but nothing on-screen.

Could I have killed my Geforce 3 with this FSB OC?? That would explain why the system previously froze on the bios screen.

I've got a GeForce 2 and an old TNT2 Ultra around here somewhere but my wife is gonna kill me if I fried my $350 GF3 (especially after killing my $170 Gigabyte GA-7VTX).

Is it possible for a FSB OC to kill my video card?

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

You certainly live on the edge my young man.

Better run before the wife gets you.

Sorry I don't know what could be the problem but did want to pop in and poke some fun at you.
    I know I am bad.

Good Luck,,hope you do get the problem fixed.
    When I hear of these type of things happening I tend to shy away trying anything in terms of playing around in the system.
    When it comes to fixing computer problems I would not be able to fight my way out of a paper bag.
    We need Super Bing to the rescue.

Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E.
    Sonically Enhanced
    C5
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Sili,

Try turning off the power at the back(main switch)and then switch it back on.

Hold down the "Insert" key on your keyboard, and then press the power button.

This will initiate Abit's Bios default, reset mode when you OC to a point of no boot.

Give that a try first and we'll go from there.

Also try resetting the CMOS.

I have not heard of frying a card due to over clocking unless the AGP port is set to 1:1 with a high FSB. The newer boards have independant AGP's most times I think, and the KG7 most definitely does.

Trev, super? Hardly LOL!

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

well I once had a mobo short on me at the AGP slot when I was OCing so I guess anything is possible. That mobo was replaced under warrentee though So far with my Abit VH6II all I ever had to do if it wouldn't respond is flip the main power switch on the back of the tower and wait a few seconds...it always reset the bios back to default after that

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Most motherboards have a provision for a hardware reset of the BIOS, (via a jumper) which resets the BIOS parameters to default conservative values. I think that may be the only way for you to recover your system. Bing mentioned that among other suggestions, but that is probably really your only recourse.

Good luck getting it going again.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• SiliGoose
            • Aug 2000

I'm back. Thanks guys. Like you all said, it was no big deal. A simple CMOS clear and I'm back at it. Whew!

-Sili
            www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"