X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Love/Hate that Radeon VE...

This is a quick update for those interested in the "Video board of the Week" saga. Wanting to upgrade one of my desktops and my bedroom HT/Gaming system, I got a reasonable deal at my local Central Computer store in Fremont (it's a small Bay area chain; unlike Frys, they have *nothing* except computer stuff). VE's can be had for the $90 to $100 range with a little looking.

The VE is Radeon's answer to the Matrox G450 Dual Head and NVidia Geforce MX dual head. The VE is a 32MB DDR memory board, but slightly lower memory speed and DAC rating than the standard 32MB DDR. It includes a standard DB15 VGA output, plus a DVI output connector (with adapter to convert to VGA supplied), and S-Video out.

If your primary use is DVD or gaming at resolutions of 1280X1024 or less, and you want above average 2D quality and very good DVD playback, this could be the board for you. I wanted one for my desktop, because the GeForce is a bit fuzzy on the NEC LCD1810 panel compared with my Matrox Millienium II at work. The Radeon got rid of the fuzz, but not without a few tears at first. Hence the "hate" factor.

The install was no fun at all on my desktop, which is an Athlon 600 built with an ASUS K7M motherboard. This system has had a couple of different video cards, 3DFx then Geforce2, and though I religiously deleted all past drivers and set it up for plain vanilla VGA, the ATI install program wouldn't recognize it that way, and wouldn't recognize that there was a Radeon installed, either. It installed part of the AGP Gart drivers, then stopped the driver installation. On top of that, some files got corrupted, and I started getting BSOD's at boot up unless I went to safe mode. This could be interaction with the Stardock Desktop X system which I run, also.

Re-installing Windows 98SE ultimately cleared up these issues, and allowed me to run the driver install again. That time it took; it's best to just let it do the Easy Install, where it puts everything on, and installs the DirectX update.

Once donce, setting up the driver color depth and resolution is no big deal, and the NEC monitor was detected autmoatically, and refresh/resolution options adjusted accordingly. DVD playback on the desktop at 1280X1024 is pretty cool; the trailer for "Final Fantasy", even though not an anamorhpic source, is farily stunning. I can't wait to see the DVD they eventually release from this movie.

The Gaming HT was a little easier. They key to getting the ATI install to work was letting the system autodetect the hardware after manually changing the driver, and letting it setup/search for the best updated driver (which didn't change it, just re-enumerated it). Then, I found you had to be careful, because the install took a while (30 seconds to a minute) for each part of the install program to initialize. Once all steps had been gone through, the results were good.

BTW, if you're into gaming, the advanced settings includes control panels for D3D and for Open GL, which you should check out, depending on the optimization choices you want for quality or speed. With a slower CPU, maybe some of the "speed" choices make sense; with a 750 MHz AMD, go for quality, as I did. Performance in D3D and open GL was quite good on my system, but Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate II, and Flanker II are not really state of the art "stress tests". Performance with "B17 Flying Fortress" was quite good also, but that's more a function of installed memory (if you don't have 256 Megs, you don't want this game).

Video overlay settings are available in the 7.1 DVD player. No discernable quality difference on DVD between the VE and the standard 32 MB DDR on several test selections, including "Fifth Element", "Matrix", "Pitch Black", "Lost in Space", "Shakespeare in Love". Which is to say, they all looked pretty fabulous.

Final Ratings:

2D Video quality: 9 out of 10
    DVD Video quality: 9.5 out of 10
    Gaming performance: 7 out of 10

Installation: -2 out of 10
    Driver Stability: 8 out of 10

Value: 9 out of 10

So, this is the "cheap" board I love to use, but hate to install....

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Thanks Jon, your starting to talk me into a Radeon...I'm starting to have nightmares about htpc crashes, so I know it's close...

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

-2 out of 10..... That's a very low score

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Well, if you'd gone through the install I did on two systems, you might have rated it even lower, Bing! Maybe I'm just turning into a wussie; I'm too used to the slick install's from ELSA Gladiac's and the like, I guess! Just not used to dealing with BSOD's all over the place! Makes me feel like I have Windows karma no better than the average Joe!

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• KennyG
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2000

Jon, I have a question about the video capture card, I hate to ask it here, but I can't get you to answer it in the capture card post, so here goes.
          You say the vid capture cards have RGB outputs...why would we use those if we are using the Elsa or Radeon video cards? Can't we just do all our outputting through the Video card?

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Kenny,

The only reason I've looked at vide capture cards is for a DTV software compatible Brooktree capture chip for getting laser disk into the PC; output would be through the main video card. Standard video capture cards usually have video in (composite, S-Video) and video output. Video out is useless (well, not totally, my NEC can handle video in, but I never use it).

What do you want to do with a video capture card? Record to the HD and edit? Line double interlaced sources?

BTW, what are you planning on getting when you sell your XG135? Seems like I've been coming across all kinds of interesting deals on used gear this spring, but the payout on my 5 year long term incentive plan won't be until October this year!

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• KennyG
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2000

Jon, I'm planning to scale NFL football off directv...I don't expect a great picture, just a decent one.
              I'm getting another xg135 but this ones got liquid coupled lenses.

Comment

• P-Dub
                Office Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Which is the better card, the ATI Radeon VE card or a Nvida GeforceMX card?

My current system is a OC'd Celeron450 with 256M ram. My current video card is an old Nvida TNT based card. Performance wise I've seen the Nvida card beat out the ATI, but I'm not that much into gaming. Plus I've been pretty happy with my TNT card. I would hope that the ATI gaming performace will be greater than my old TNT card. But really the DVD playback ability is the main priority. I'm not looking to output to a TV, just to watch on my monitor. Don't know if that makes any difference.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
                Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

The card to get if you want to save money and play some games is the LE. If you want to play around with dual head, then the VE, but the install, as noted above, is substantially squirrelier.

Both, though crippled compared to a std. 32 MB DDR Radeon, have pretty decent gaming performance. DVD quality is as good as their big brothers, the 32MB and 64 MB DDR.

I have a 32MB DDR in one system; it's a little slower on benchmarks at 800X600 and lower resolutions than the ELSA Gladiac's I have, and 16 bit color is nothing to write home about, but 32bit color at 1024X768 and above it pulls ahead of the Gladiac. Video qaulity is the prime issue for me. I "may" pull one of the VE's in my bedroom system, because that one is used for sims and some other gaming, and put it in my daughter's new PC I'm assembling.

The VE or LE will give you better gaming and much better DVD than the TNT. I had a couple of TNT's, and they were great boards in their time, but that was a *long* time ago! The only thing faster than internet time is video board time....

Regards, and enjoy your upgrades!

-Jon

Earth First!
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• P-Dub
                    Office Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Thanks Jon,

I'm a bit torn between dual or not. I'm using a dual monitor system at work, and it is pretty cool. I've got another monitor at home that isn't getting much use, so it would be pretty cool to have that at home as well. I don't see much info on ATI's site about the LE. I'll probably go with the VE, but the install sounds pretty scary.

I more or less figured that any new video card should beat the old TNT. Let see, there was the TNT, TNT2, TNT2 Ultra, Geforce, Geforce2, Geforce2GTS, Geforce3. So that makes mine 6 versions behind.

Paul

Paul

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"