X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rudee
    • Oct 2000

Radeon LE on my front door steps

The title says it all, I'm left wondering where to start? what drivers do I want to install? This is a brand new system- I've been waiting on the vid card to install the os and anything else I need to use my xga lcd fp. Where do I look first?

rudee
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Rudee,

It's my understanding that the LE's have been shipping with somewhat later drivers, and with the 7.1 MMC, including 7.1 DVD player. That being the case, start with the drivers on your CD! Since you bought the LE, I'm assuming that over the top gaming performance wasn't your first priority, but solid all around performance and great DVD playback is. You literally should have a good OOTB experience. With an XGA projector, you won't need custom resolutions. When you get the DVD player installed, use AVIA to set brightness and contrast, then as a last adjustment you may find you want to investigate judicious use of the gamma curve control in the Video panel of the ATI advanced tools. The gamma control is a little trick; "default" is not the center, but the far left; you may find the ideal position to be somewhere between the 1/4 point from the left and the center point.

Have fun, and enjoy your new Radeon!

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Saw your other post, so a few words to address the other questions:

The OS I've been using is 98SE; I have ME, tried it a while on one of the HTPC systems, had some occasional glitches becuase their are some driver and code incompatibilities with 98SE. When that hard disk (Maxtor) failed, decided to go back to 98SE on that system. Haven't regretted it.

I have PowerDVD, WINDVD 2.64, and now the ATI Player. PowerDVD hasn't had as good a picture quality as WINDVD. Also, many people have reported difficulties with both PowerDVD and the ATI player coexisting. WINDVD 2.64 and the ATI player seem to coexist fine. Beside impressive video quality, frankly I think the audio with the ATI player is better. A number of others have reported this, so it mustn't be just me. It wasn't something I expected or can explain.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Obi-Wan
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• rudee
        • Oct 2000

Thanks Jon- I'm installing the os now and other hardware- I gotta a little side tracked last nite- I ran up on a mint MSB Link I for $100 last nite and had ended up playing with it most of the evening- so many toys so little time. Now let's go put up some drywall for the ht room- Man the fun never ends. I'm going to finish the htpc tonite and give it a test run- thanks for the info-

rudee

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Congrats, sounds like you're going to be a busy guy. Now, I'm trying to figure out what kind of hardware to put together to try out my WIN XP beta which should be here in a week or so. I'm going to steal a hard disk from my living room PC, which *isn't* going to be equiped with a PC based HDTV card anytime soon- just not ready for prime time, yet, in terms of what's available. May still try to go with another Athlon based system, since supposedly the current code support VIA chip sets. The media Player 8 does DVD also, using a new Cinemaster engine (same OEM brand as ATI's), but I'll probably install WINDVD, too.

I'm still not convinced that XP won't just be NT in drag, or rather, WIN2K with Aqua skins, but I've got my fingers crossed. Office XP is pretty cool, at least I really like the changes to PowerPoint and Excel.

Let us know how it turns out- enquiring minds want to know.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• rudee
            • Oct 2000

Well I fiddled with the Radeon last nite and could not get dvd playback- I was using Bug Life, I could get to the part where you select Standard or widescren and after selecting either- itried both- I would get nothing in the playback window? The driver date was 11-10-2000 player was 7.0 Region 1 I'm thinking this had something to do with it-
            Based on this I'd say my card is not ready to go- I got tired of messing with it and went to bed. I'll investigate further tonite. If I download the lastest drivers form ATI do I need to do any of the registry hacks that have been discussed?

rudee

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

In a short word, no. No registry hacks in my system. IF you download the DVD player update, be forwarned the the printed SN on the disk may be wrong, but if you look at the inner circle of the disk, you can see a number that's sort of etched on the plastic. *That* is the SN you'll need to use. Also, be sure to install your 7.0 media players and DVD player first. Best thing to do is to uninstall all the MMC stuff; then install the main 7.1 MMC upgrade, then the DVD player.
              On my system, the video adjust panel became immediately accessible without any registry tweak.

Note that the Gamma control works a little oddly; default position is far left, then it goes through an adjustment range as you move it to the right that first gets darker, then boosts the gamma. Once you realize that, it's straigtforward. It would be much nicer if they had numeric readouts on the controls. Oh well, people in hades would like ice water, too.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"