X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Klipsh Pro Media

Anybody know where in Canada I could purchase a set of these?

I know thay can be bought on line form klipsh, Ok how about some place in the US where they are cheaper than the on-line price?

Bing
    Bing
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

OK, I have also looked at the Monsoon MM700's Ribbon Planar speakers as well, certainy less cost than the Klipsch (-$125) and they are sexy looking. They are certainly down on the power compared to the Klipsch.

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• RickS
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Bing,

I'm not sure but I thought that London Drugs had these speakers. The are Klipsh dealer and large computer outlet. London Drugs

Rick

The Home Theater
      DVD Collection

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Thanks Rick, I'll give them a call.

Man that London drugs has everything!

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Great Lead Rick, London Drugs in South Common has them in stock and on sale, unfortunetly they don't do online CC sales

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• RickS
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

Bing,

If you would like I could pick them up for you!!! I can get them to you overnight on purolator for about $10.00. Let me know since I'm five minutes away from there on the way home from work.

Rick

The Home Theater
            DVD Collection

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Thanks for the offer Rick, That's very nice of you, I'll let you know.

I'm Heading out of town this week and will be back next week.

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Well, thanks to Rick Sorken, I now have the Promedias 2.1's :B

Rick was kind enough to pick these up for me at London Drugs in Edmonton and send them out to me.

On first impression, the packing was very secure and the box was fairly heavy for a 2.1 channel system.

The build quality of these are very nice and certainly worth the $299(cdn)price. The sub is a 6.5" ported design with an enclosure made of wood.

The satellites are a 2-way design with a .75" polydome tweeter in what Klipsch calls a "MicroTractix horn, ok…) The Mid Woofer is a 3" long throw paper cone design. The enclosures are plastic and have a very appealing shape to them for plastic. The preamp section is mounted on one of the satellite speakers and has 2 knobs, one for bass control and one for volume. The bass control has a marking at the 10 O'clock position, this is suppose to be the recommended bass position for most material. After tweaking with this for a while, I found it is pretty darn close to my liking. On the side of the preamp case are mini phone jacks for headphones and device input from a portable CD player or anything else you may want to plug in for output to the Promedias. The preamp also has a green power LED that is constantly illuminated on my system, as I never turn the power off, that and the power switch is on the back of the sub under my desk so it's kind of a pain to turn it off.

So... How do they sound?

Well I would have to say they are pretty darn good and actually surpassed my expectations even though I had read countless reviews where every reviewer said these things kick A**! One thing that I certainly feel is these may be a bit overkill for general music and gaming while sitting in front of your monitor, for certainly you can elevate the volume of these way louder than a person would care to have while working, or playing games that requires your attention or concentration. I have not had a chance to test it on a DVD yet, for I don't have a suitable player for WIN 2000. Still, if you want to bag drive your MP3's or CD's these speakers will do it and bring a grin to your face and ears. The bass can be adjusted to booming levels that vibrate the walls and rattle the china cabinets as well as most entry, to mid level Home theater setups.

I found the satellite speakers to be a bit bright with good bass punch from the sub, until I realized what was happening... A drawback to this power and clarity is the revealing nature of bad source material, much like how high-end HIFI systems will reveal a poor recording, the Promedias will also reveal a poorly recorded CD and certainly a MP3 at the high compression rate of 128 kb. I was listening to a MP3 at that data rate and I would have to say it certainly was bright and compressed sounding. Something I could never discern on my old Labtec system, but would notice if I ported the MP3 to my home HT system. I then placed a well known CD, Diana Krall "When I look Into Your Eyes" and all was right again I noticed that my sound stage was a bit wider than the width of the speaker placement, but had depth from about a foot from my face, to three feet back of my monitor (wall being the limit). This was something that I had not experienced and was quite surreal to say the least. Sitting this close to a speaker with good resolution certainly has a different feel to it. The bass of the sub is very good with a tight punch that satisfies much like a good car stereo. In fact I was constantly reminded that it felt like many a car stereo setup that I have owned or heard. Like I said before, the bass can be elevated to very loud levels, however it tends to get boomy at that point. Adjusting the bass control around the 10 O'clock position brings most material into the ballpark with a solid punch that truly is fun to feel and hear. MP3 play back seems very acceptable on any material that is 160 kb or higher, though I guess it would still depend on the actual CD recording and the codec used to rip and compress the MP3.

I certainly can recommend these to anyone whose tends to be slightly over the top with their equipment and toys, however, this much power is not required for a general Multi Media system.

Still, I'm glad I have them :B

Thanks again Rick!

Specs:
                - THX certified
                - Total system Freq Res: 32Hz – 20kHz
                - Max SPL: 106 dB peak
                - Power: 2x35 W RMS satellites
                1x130 W RMS Subwoofer

Test System:
                1370 mHz Athalon
                Abit KT7A-Raid
                512 Mb PC133 Micron RAM
                2-Quantum 40Gb Hd's in Raid-0
                Sound Blaster Live
                Winamp Ver. 2.74
                MS Media Player Ver. 7.00

Bing
                Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Sounds like you've got some good tunes and a good deal. I saw these at a local Best Buy last weekend, and they were a very significant cut above the other wares being offered; I suspect their good reputation in the computer market is quite well deserved. Being a bit bright with MP3's could be a problem. That a problem with the voicing of a lot of the computer speakers- lots of bass and highs, but a little rough in the mids.

I'm still getting by with an old pair of AR Powered Partners, the ones in the heavy aluminum cabints that are triangular shaped. I've thought about adding a sub to them someday to lighten the load in the bottom end; for one piece speakers they're pretty good, with 35 wrms per cabinet. Too bad they've been out of production for so long.

The game I enjoyed the audio on the most in the last few years was System Shock 2, though I have to say both the Baldurs Gate titles are also very nice in that regard.

BTW, I've decided to become a real pervert, and take a stab at recording mini disks off the analog output from SACD- yes, I'm a sick, sad man, in need of professional care!

Happy listening, and regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bing Fung
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2000

Those speakers sound like real gems Jon.

If you have the technology why not? Is there a way you could record the SACD to CD?

Bing
                    Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
                      • Aug 2000

I just picked up the ProMedia 2.0 today -in part, due to Bing's review. I've been waiting on this purchase because Definitive is planning on introducing a competing PC speaker set soon. Since my HT is based on DefTech speakers I thought it would be cool to wait for those...needless to say, I got tired of waiting.

The subwoofer is so powerful it's almost scary. Anything beyond the "10 O'clock" setting for the bass is too much for me. I haven't tried the speakers on games yet but I'm sure having such a strong sub will be nice in some games.

The sats are surprisingly "airy" and open. It may sound silly talking about a wide soundstage for PC speakers but these guys deserve real speaker terms. They remind me quite a bit of Energy's Take 5 sats. They're a bit more forward than the Take 5 but on the same level in terms of quality output.

Great stuff! Everyone in this forum should have a pair.

-Sili
                      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2000

Welcome to the ProMedia club Sili!

Glad my rambling had a positive influence on your decision

The more I listen to these the more they make me smile!

I was able to play the DVD "The Rock" on thesem and though it was 2 channel, it was still impressive.

Bing
                        Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Bing you know a clean desk is a sign of a sick mind

Comment

• Bing Fung
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Aug 2000

You can call a spade a spade Andrew :B

Bing
                            Bing

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"