• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

A word about Bluetooth technology

Hi Folks,

I recently posted a review of a bluetooth stereo headset and thought that I would share some views on this technology. I've read many reviews and postings on this technology recently and one complaint rings through time and time again..........loss of signal!.

First off and obviously, if you are using a bluetooth headset inside a car, you should have no problems signal wise. Bluetooth LOVES walls and glass to bounce off of. Outside is quite another matter however!. Based on the complaints I have read, I have come to the conclusion that many of these complaints are the fault of the persons device, rather than of the headset itself. I firmly believe at this point that some PDA's/ phones and other Bluetooth emitting devices broadcast bluetooth better than others. A good example of a great Bluetooth device would be the Playstation 3. Works flawlessly!.

When I changed phones recently, I immediately noticed a big improvement in my Bluetooth signal with my Motorola SD9-HD headphones, both inside and outside, which I had been using for years with a number of different phones. This has convinced me that the device broadcasting the signal makes a very big difference on how a headset will perform in all environments. That being said comes another bit of advice regardless on the quality of the emitting device used.........

Outside, you CANNOT put a Bluetooth enabled device in your back or front pocket and expect a solid signal!. NOT gonna' happen folks!!. It MUST be out and visible to the headset for a clean, break free signal. There are no walls and glass for a Bluetooth signal to bounce off of outside!. Firstly, find out where the antenna array is on your headset and keep the music player/phone as near to it as possible. I STRONGLY recommend an armband for your device. Belt holders are much less effective in this regard. If the headset array is located on the side, front, or in the back, adjust the armband accordingly. Also, both the music device AND the headset should be very well charged for a nice, strong signal and reception on both ends. All the complaints I have read are by people that do not understand these facts, ignore the instructions, and invariably give the headset a bad review, and return it for nothing.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with this technology when used properly, so use it wisely and enjoy the music!. I am personally sold on this technology for active, mobile people who do not want wires in their way. I would also like to see it improve as well in the future. The sound fidelity can be quite exceptional as well. As good or better than many wired mobile headsets. :T
    Dan Madden :T
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

mmmm, I've NEVER had any dropouts problems with my iPhone and a multitude of random bluetooth audio devices. Also, "Bluetooth LOVES walls and glass to bounce off of" is misleading... multiple reflections can f'up any radio signal extremely nicely - so a clear view is best. Signal strength defines bandwidth, and bandwidth defines audio quality. You can't use Bluetooth on aircraft, which kinda limits the appeal.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mjb
      Also, "Bluetooth LOVES walls and glass to bounce off of" is misleading... multiple reflections can f'up any radio signal extremely nicely......
      Radio waves bounce off glass?
      Really?
      Is it reflection or impedance?
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
        Is it reflection or impedance?
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipath_propagation, although Bluetooth is only good for a few feet so I don't know if this really matters...

Perhaps the reason why Dan had better luck inside was because there you're better shielded from other RF signals or interference. Bluetooth can be affected by (2.4Ghz) Wi-Fi signals, so if you're in a dense area, this might cause problems. A microwave will probably knock it out too.
        Last edited by mjb; 14 June 2013, 02:06 Friday. Reason: spelling :-)
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

I can honestly say that Microwave ovens and an active Bluetooth enabled device DO NOT like each other at all. That comes from first hand experience!. Also, All I'm saying is that Bluetooth signals in a closed room or car work better is all. My instruction manual that came with my Motorola's was specific about this. It could be for a pile of reasons, many of which are mentioned above. But, as mentioned above, just go on Amazon and read the reviews of people complaining about these Bluetooth stereo headsets. They are most likely putting their phone in their pocket and expecting perfect performance.....which as mentioned above.....IS NOT gonna' happen. I do put my phone in the front steering wheel bag of my bike (Opened zipper though) with no issues.

Incidentally, these Plantronics Backbeats continue to sound better and better the more I use them!. Break in I guess??.

Funny story!. I used to strap my old HTC phone on the back of my bike when I used my Old Motorola's since the antenna was at the back of that headset. One time, I was happily cycling along and the signal cut out entirely!. Turns out the phone fell off the back of the bike. I went a good 2 blocks with a good signal before this cut out happened. Stopped the bike and realized that the phone was NO LONGER THERE!!. I Hi tailed it back only to discover the phone lying on the road......It had unfortunately been RUN OVER by a car!!. Hence, the new Samsung Note II. Hehehe!! S**t happens right!!??.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Yeah, I don't think microwave ovens and Gremlins like each other at all either.

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

......Wind and running tap water are another phenomenon that Bluetooth frowns on too!!.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"