X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Next Gen gaming systems from Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft

Since the current/previous editions of gaming systems from those three have been out for some time now, the PS3, XBox 360, and Wii, it's coming to be about the time that we expect the successors of all three will be coming out.

For the Wii, we've (that sounds weird) already seen the release of the Wii U several months ago. To be honest, I'm a bit underwhelmed with Wii U upgrades, but they are definitely good improvements on the Wii system. To me, the Wii has always seemed to be all about the "fun", and often "cutesey", rather than raw performance like the others. Heck, Mario Cart Wii got me through a year in Iraq. I couldn't tell you how many untold hours I logged with that game and my buddies over that year.

Now starting to hear more rumblings about the PS3 and XBox 360 replacements. Saw this today:
    A picture said to be of the new PlayStation 4 controller appears to confirm rumors that the new console will feature a touchpad.

If we do get these later this year, that'll be awesome. Pretty great timing, too. The only thing is, if they come out this year, I highly doubt they'll include next-gen movie disc players, like 4k resolution movies that might be coming out in the next year or two.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I find my own gaming systems funny--I waste a lot of time as it is on various things, so for years I specifically AVOIDED buying gaming systems, and hadn't owned a gaming console since the original Atari 6400 way back in the day. (Asteroids rules!)

When the PS3 was released, though, I broke down and got one of the very first. One of the biggest reasons I did so, was to get it as a BD player. Almost whatever, like 8 years later, and it's still my only BD player, and performs amazingly. That says something about Sony.

Well, a couple years after that, and my oldest daughter was getting old enough, that I picked up a Wii for family gaming in the family room. They've loved it. (except when I came back from Iraq and now DESTROY everybody on Mario Kart) A few years after that, I bought a Dell laptop for my wife, and they were running a promotion giving away a free XBox 360. Cool. And while I was in Iraq, Wal-Mart was having a dirt-cheap promo on PS3 slims, so a buddy hooked me up and helped me buy one to send over to my unit to use when we weren't in the field. When I came home from Iraq, I was one of the last to leave, so I brought it home with me.

That means that I went from 0 gaming consoles for decades, to now 4 consoles of the current generation, two of them duplicates. (I move my other PS3 between bedroom and RV) Geez. Like I indicated above, I haven't seen enough from the Wii U to upgrade. I'm anticipating that the PS4 will be enough to make me upgrade. Since I don't use our XBox 360 as much, it'll have to be pretty impressive to make me upgrade that, too.
    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

We currently only have an Xbox 360 but I played with the Wii U a bit and I think it's quite fun. We will likely pick one up. I've had the PS3 several times in the past 8 years or so and just never got all that into any of the games on it. Most of the games were on the Xbox 360 and I liked them better on the Xbox 360, and the ones that were exclusive just weren't that interesting to me.

There were some rumored leaks for the specs of the next gen PS3 and 360, both being 8 core AMD based CPU's with next gen graphics, PS3 to go with AMD graphics and Xbox to go with Nvidia I believe. Possibly 4k support? Both supposedly having blu-ray drives but with the prices of SD cards and what not getting cheaper and being faster I'd kind of expect them to move to something solid state as I know they are going to be pushing downloadable games more and more as well. But a Blu-ray drive does give some extra functionality.

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

I used to have pretty much every system except the Sonys, just not as into it anymore. I sold all of my systems except the old ones (Atari/NES/SNES/N64). I'd love to see what the new ones have to offer though. Isn't the new XBox going by the "XBox 720" moniker?
        -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

That's what the fan base is calling it, personally I hope they go with something else.

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I am interested to see what the new console bring to the party, because honestly, the current gen are pretty damn good. I've been gaming for decades and still own several platforms from the various eras. I also own PS3 and a couple of 360's. Sadly; I do not play as often as I used to.

So yes-curious to see what can be done to move us forward but, I'm "almost" positive the new consoles will have matured well before I purchase.
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Big announcement regarding the Playstation tomorrow. Wed, 20 Feb, at 6 PM EST.

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Cool stuff about the PS4. Lots of details we don't know about it yet, but it will have a pretty nice upgrade to the dualshock controller, will have what looks like AWESOME processors, and perhaps most interestingly, will output 4k. This is not a huge surprise, as Sony is leading the industry push for 4k, and they will definitely want their flagship PS4 to lead the charge on it, just as the PS3 led the push for upgrade to BD. However, we still don't know yet what optical drive it will have, and how that's going to match up with the 4k push. Will the 4k standard be set by the time the PS4 is finalized and released, so it will actually play 4k discs? I hope it will NOT be just 4k streaming. One thing they have said so far is that the first GAMES being developed for the PS4 will not have full 4k resolution, which I'm not to worried about.

Check out the following links:

Sony tonight announced its much-rumored next video game console, the PlayStation 4. Sony Computer Entertainment prez and CEO Andrew House unveiled the console with little more than a logo and a handful of concepts, though he did say it's coming in holiday 2013. As far as specs, the PS4 has an 8-core 64-bit x86 "Jaguar" CPU from AMD and a Radeon GPU with 18 "compute units" pushing 1.84 TFLOPS of horsepower. It features a 6X Blu-ray drive, 802.11n WiFi, USB 3.0, Bluetooth 2.1, HDMI, optical out, analog AV out, and an unknown amount of internal storage. Lead system architect Mark Cerny -- legendary game dev and, most importantly, creator of Marble Madness -- said that development of the PS4 started five years ago, and since then, he's been exploring how to evolve "the PlayStation ecosystem." Speaking to the limitations of the previous PlayStation console, Cerny said he's been aiming to make sure "nothing gets between the platform and the game." An image of an old-timey hunter shooting Space Invaders ships in the sky (in reality) was used as an example -- later, a more concrete example was given in the PS4's multitasking ability, as well as its ease of use. More on that in a moment. "We were able to create in PlayStation 4 a system by game creators, for game creators," Cerny said. Double Fine president Tim Schafer and Harmonix president Alex Rigopulos were just two of several game devs that spoke to Sony reaching out and asking for input. He next unveiled the DualShock 4, which looks an awful lot like the leaks we saw recently -- it features a new touchpad, a new light bar, a Share button, a mono speaker, and what looks like rubberized grips (in addition to the standard dual analog sticks, d-pad, triggers, shoulder buttons, and four face buttons). Internally, it's still got rumble functionality and a built-in, non-removable lithium ion battery. In so many words, the DualShock 4 looks an awful lot like a DualShock 3 with some new bells and whistles.

Despite showing a variety of games running on the newly announced PlayStation 4, Sony PlayStation's US head Jack Tretton says the console's "still in development in terms of final specs and design." He told All Things D as much in an interview this morning; the PlayStation 4's specs were detailed in a press release by Sony last evening, which detail the internals as an 8-core 64-bit x86 "Jaguar" CPU built by AMD, a Radeon GPU comprised of 18 "compute units" which push out 1.84 TFLOPS, and 8GB of GDDR5 RAM. Tretton also said he "hopes" that the PlayStation 4 won't cost $599 at launch (the PlayStation 3 launched in two models, at $499 and $599). "When I think about the console, you open it up, you look at it, you certainly look at it when you insert a disc, but for most people, it's behind a cabinet or on a shelf somewhere and you spend all your time looking at the screen," Tretton said. Sony's focus last night, however, was all games. As for when we'll see the elusive box? "There will be multiple opportunities to share the look of the console between now and launch," he said, "We just didn't choose this first event as the time to show it." In speaking with Sony president of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida this morning, we confirmed that we'll get to go hands-on with the PlayStation 4 "by E3," which goes from June 11th to the 13th.

Yes, the PlayStation 4 is capable of pushing out a 4K video signal. Sony president of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida confirmed as much to Joystiq in an interview this morning, where he said that the PlayStation 4 will play video that was recorded in the super high-def resolution, but the games currently being made for it aren't in 4K. Sony made a big 4K push at CES 2013 -- it was all Sony president Kaz Hirai would talk about in our interview, and Sony's booth reflected the company's 4K initiative. It seems that the company's not getting too far ahead of itself, however, recognizing that few consumers buying a PS4 this holiday will own the still-nascent TV tech.

Sony head of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida is a gregarious, smart, talkative interviewee. And that's exactly why it was so weird that he fully waffled when we asked him to address whether or not the newly unveiled PlayStation 4 will play used games. "That's my expectation, that PS4 games will work on [the] hardware. That's my expectation," he told us in an interview this morning. When we pushed to clarify what he meant, Yoshida stuttered. "Ummm ... yeah. We have to really name our system services to explain more about it," he added. That's a similar answer to what he told Eurogamer last night at Sony's big PlayStation 4 announcement event, vagueness and all. Yes, used games "can play on PS4," but does it require a license repurchase? Perhaps you have to belong to an as-yet-unidentified PS4 online network? It's not entirely clear, but there seems to be a caveat to the statement, "Used games work on PS4." Sony, however, isn't saying what that caveat is just yet. Of course, current-gen consoles all support buying any used, physical copies of games and playing them on their corresponding game consoles Yoshida also confirmed that games will launch at retail as well as digital, but, well, you probably already guessed that from the included Blu-ray disc drive.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

It will output 4k, and likely be one of the first disc devices that will support 4k blu-ray I'm guessing. There is plenty of space on blu-ray disc so this seems like the obvious route to take for 4k disc content. You will need a new player, but it will work with all old blu-ray discs as well.

I'm sure most of the games throughout the life of the PS4 will not be 4k. Just like the current consoles, only a handful of them are even 1080p. Many games are only 720p.

Also I'm going to assume that the new XBox will also do 4k. Kind of funny as Nintendo just got caught up on the resolution things and now it's going to be behind again lol.

Comment

• impala454
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2007

As Dougie mentioned, I just read somewhere that although it's designed to be able to output 4K, the games will not be in 4K. That'd really take a smokin machine to run full 4K rendered 3D stuff at the frame rates console gamers demand.
                    -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Well it's more about video buffer memory. And I think we can render at 4k now days with some of the new cards coming out. The new Geforce GTX Titan is a single GPU card that has 6Gb's of video ram. That thing is amazingly fast too! It should do 4K no problem.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Huh... one of the places, I read that the PS4 would be backwards compatible for games. (i.e. be able to play PS3 games) This cnn news article says that it won't be, though.
                        Despite all the clatter about what’s inside the new PlayStation 4 console, games were in the forefront of everyone’s mind during Wednesday’s Sony launch event.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• maseline_98
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                          Huh... one of the places, I read that the PS4 would be backwards compatible for games. (i.e. be able to play PS3 games) This cnn news article says that it won't be, though.
                          http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/22/tech/g...html?hpt=hp_t3
                          I don't think it is going to be backwards compatible in the sense of putting in the ps3 discs and being able to play them. I think the games are going to be downloaded via the psn. I don't have a ps3(more of an xbox player myself) so this is not really a big deal to me.....ymmm of course.

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
                          Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• impala454
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Hdale85
                            Well it's more about video buffer memory. And I think we can render at 4k now days with some of the new cards coming out. The new Geforce GTX Titan is a single GPU card that has 6Gb's of video ram. That thing is amazingly fast too! It should do 4K no problem.
                            Geez. I had no idea there were cards already out that did 4K.

Man after perusing newegg a bit, there's some insane stuff out there now. I have been totally out of the loop.
                            -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Yeah just recently some new stuff has come out. That Titan card literally just released like this last week lol. It is amazingly fast! It matches and beats dual GPU cards in some cases.

Comment

• impala454
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2007

At $1,000+ I'd hope it could deal cards too

Sure would be fun to have an unlimited budget to build a computer.

Ok sorry I'm getting off topic.
                                -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Ah, build your own next-gen gaming system, Chuck! Call it the Chuck-S5-721, and sell one to each of us.
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"