X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maseline_98
    • Apr 2005

Wholehouse DVR to get rid of crapcast

We are currently running 3 DVR boxes in order to get a 6 tuner option from crapcast and it is costing us over $50 to do so...I've been trying to get rid of this for years, but I haven't found any viable options. I was waiting on the Ceton Q, but it looks to be cancelled. I don't really want to get rid of cable, but this pricing is getting ridiculous. I've though of building a PC and running the Ceton InfinitiTV 4, but not really sure if we would still need boxes from crapcast to do so, which would negate the solution since they charge $9.99(plus hidden fees and taxes) to do so. Our house has cat5(at least 2 ports for each room) and coax(at least 2 ports for each room) and I was thinking I might be able to leverage that somehow(maybe by putting a dvr box at the hub and splitting the line and using a RF remote, but don't know how I would be able to watch live TV in different rooms).

I appreciate any ideas/comments to try to get me out of this problem.... ;x(

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

• Dec 2000

It sounds like you're looking for a do-your-own solution. But I was with DirecTV, and needed to revamp my equipment. So I asked them about going to their whole-home DVR equipment. They offered me a deal, but not quite what I was looking for. So I ended up switching to Dish and their whole-home DVR system, and they gave me a better deal than DirecTV. It's working pretty good, great deal.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

I don't suppose you have access to AT&T U-verse? Their whole home DVR setup is great.
      -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I like DirecTV's whole home DVR, they also have a new box that does like 6 tuners I think? I have had little issue with DirecTV, and my bill is under 100 bucks.

Comment

• maseline_98
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
          It sounds like you're looking for a do-your-own solution. But I was with DirecTV, and needed to revamp my equipment. So I asked them about going to their whole-home DVR equipment. They offered me a deal, but not quite what I was looking for. So I ended up switching to Dish and their whole-home DVR system, and they gave me a better deal than DirecTV. It's working pretty good, great deal.
          Originally posted by impala454
          I don't suppose you have access to AT&T U-verse? Their whole home DVR setup is great.
          Originally posted by Hdale85
          I like DirecTV's whole home DVR, they also have a new box that does like 6 tuners I think? I have had little issue with DirecTV, and my bill is under 100 bucks.

Crapcast is really the only option. There are some people in our neighborhood that have directTv, but they have complained about losing reception in bad weather.

I have considered cutting the cord all together with a combination of OTA, Ruku, and Hulu Plus...Obviously, it would be far cheaper than what I'm paying now, but I don't know what I would do without live sports! It would kill me not to have it. ESPN3 via my xbox is pretty good, but it's only for college sports and the NBA(the NBA is terrible and I don't even consider it being an option). I watch/DVR every Pirate game in the summer(One Day I might be able to say the fall, but it probably won't happen in my lifetime after last year's collapse).

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
          Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

Well if you have to do cable, then I'd think the Ceton tuners would be your best bet. No you would not have to have their boxes, they give you an "M card" or whatever to stick into the tuner box. I would double check with your local comcast store first though to be sure they still give them out. Think at my local store they charged like $5/mo or something for them.
            -Chuck

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

TV is such a rip off no matter who you choose. I have Directv, but constantly struggle to keep my bill down for 2 DVRs, and some movie channels. Granted, my movie channels are a choice, but I tried to change base packages to less channels, and the first thing they do? Take away DIY, and Golf Channel if I do that. I have to keep the package I have, to get those channels. DIY I could go without, but I do like the golf channel sometimes.

In the end, I figure my entertainment package is less than buying a whole lot of Blu Rays. So I buy less blu rays now. I just buy what I really like, or want.

I also sometimes wait for new releases to go down in price before I buy even then.
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• maseline_98
                • Apr 2005

Well if you have to do cable, then I'd think the Ceton tuners would be your best bet. No you would not have to have their boxes, they give you an "M card" or whatever to stick into the tuner box. I would double check with your local comcast store first though to be sure they still give them out. Think at my local store they charged like $5/mo or something for them.
                How do I get around using their box? I mean understand I can use a xbox as an extender or 3 xboxes in my case, but won't I only be able to have 1 live broadcast at a time so all 3 xboxes would be seeing the same thing?

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

There is one that's like 10 tuners or something? Or 6? I don't remember. It uses one cable card though.

Comment

• impala454
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by maseline_98
                    How do I get around using their box? I mean understand I can use a xbox as an extender or 3 xboxes in my case, but won't I only be able to have 1 live broadcast at a time so all 3 xboxes would be seeing the same thing?
                    As I understand it, the latest Ceton tuners allow you to get up to 4 HD streams from one M-card (it's a PCMCIA shaped card that you get from Comcast and it goes into the Ceton tuner).

Here's a good basic rundown of it:
                    InfiniTV 4 PCIe is the world's first multi-tuner solution for bringing digital cable TV service to the PC, including support for premium cable channels.

And here's a couple of comcast links:

-Chuck

Comment

• maseline_98
                      • Apr 2005

As I understand it, the latest Ceton tuners allow you to get up to 4 HD streams from one M-card (it's a PCMCIA shaped card that you get from Comcast and it goes into the Ceton tuner).

Here's a good basic rundown of it:
                      InfiniTV 4 PCIe is the world's first multi-tuner solution for bringing digital cable TV service to the PC, including support for premium cable channels.

And here's a couple of comcast links:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...ng-a-cablecard

Thanks...

A technician is required to install and activate the CableCARD in a TiVo Series 3HD. Chat with us to schedule an appointment.
                      man...they get you for everything...how hard would it be to plug this thing in? It slides right in....ridiculous...

Comment

• impala454
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2007

I had talked to my local comcast before I dumped cable and they were going to just hand one over at the comcast store. YMMV
                        -Chuck

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

I always thought the technical name for them was Comcrap. Not Crapcast... LOL.

I should evaluate cable someday again to compare. But all my stored movies on DirecTV would be hard to let go.
                          Doug
                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"