X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

New PC build, revisited for 2012

Well, due to budgetary considerations I've decided to dispense with "Trevor trouncing" and am looking at a more budget-friendly build this time.

AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX
    I don't need 6 or 8 cores.

ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    Nice budget Socket AM3+ mobo.

HIS Silence H645H2G Radeon HD 6450 2GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
    No point in spending big $$$ on a gaming video card when I don't play games more advanced than Solitaire.

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Hard prices are ridiculous these days. I never imagined I'd have to cut corners here. I have my Raid 5 file server to store pics and stuff.

Antec Three Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded 2 x USB 3.0

SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W ATX 12V v2.3 & EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power SupplyThe Silverstone PSU in my file server has been going strong for 3+ years now.

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
    Gotta have RAM.

Haven't decided on an optical drive yet. Probably a BD reader/DVD burner combo, or if BD burners have gotten cheaper...

Any other suggestions for a "money is the biggest object" build?
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Hi , Kev! If you can hold off for a couple months , HDD prices should come down. Flooding in Thailand has screwed up production and messed up the prices. The Zambezi cores are nice , but if you can find a AM3 mobo that upgrades to AM3+ with a BIOS update , you can still pick up a Phenom II X4 CPU that is as good , or better , and leave yourself room for a Bulldozer when they get better. They're good for the money but have been somewhat of a disappointment as far as being an improvement over the Phenom II. The Phenom II (X4 or X6) is still available at newegg. I'm drooling over the 980 BE now. For $159 @3.7GHz it's an overacheiver by any standard , and built like a tank. They are being run at 4.1~4.2 stable enough to run Prime95 for 24 hours. My mobo is only AM2+ and AM3 , so I'm out of the Zambezi market. :cry: There is also the 6 core Phenom II series. 6 cores at 3.0 GHz? Sweeeet! and a relative bargain for a proven chip. Just some food for thought.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Nick M
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I picked up the retail version of Samsung's BD player. It doesn't write, but is fairly inexpensive and comes with a perpetual license of Cyberlink's BD software. It also comes with a suite which can be used for burning CD-R's, DVD-R's, etc. BD playback with my 2.8GHz C2D and 1GB Video Card is flawless.

I think it was about $75, and I had a coupon for $10 or $15 off.

Ah yes... $64 from the egg.

~Nick

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Alaric
        The Phenom II (X4 or X6) is still available at newegg. I'm drooling over the 980 BE now. For $159 @3.7GHz it's an overacheiver by any standard , and built like a tank...
        The Zembezi I picked is $109.99, the only other Socket AM3 at that price is the Athlon II X4 645. The Phenom II 980 BE is 50 bucks more. If money were not an obstacle I would consider going that route, but I have to play poor boy right now, to the extent I'm even considering ordering a Dell. But I need something that will last, so that's why I home-build.

I would wait longer but my old machine and my KVM don't get along very well and it's a huge PITA to have the mouse and/or keyboard stop working any time they feel like it.

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Kevin, my backup server is using the same AMD, ASUS, and G.Skill memory. It's a great combo, got Server 2008 and 4 VMs running on it...not a single issue and still plenty fast on everything. Those are good picks!
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kevin P
            The Zembezi I picked is $109.99, the only other Socket AM3 at that price is the Athlon II X4 645. The Phenom II 980 BE is 50 bucks more. If money were not an obstacle I would consider going that route, but I have to play poor boy right now, to the extent I'm even considering ordering a Dell. But I need something that will last, so that's why I home-build.

I would wait longer but my old machine and my KVM don't get along very well and it's a huge PITA to have the mouse and/or keyboard stop working any time they feel like it.

Wow , good price on a solid chip. I haven't looked at the 4 core Zambezis much. I didn't know they were that affordable! (a relative term). I've had good luck with my ASUS mobo as well. AMD and ASUS seem to play well together. It's a shame about HDD prices right now. I did find this , though
            http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch...eTitle=WESTERN DIGITAL WD5000AAKX Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM 1
            Might save you a few bucks.
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"