• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

HDMi

Important Notice to Manufacturers and Resellers of HDMI Cables

PLEASE TAKE TIME TO REVIEW THESE CHANGES AS THEY MAY HAVE A DIRECT IMPACT ON YOUR BUSINESS

As of November 18, 2010, important changes to the way HDMI cable products are sold and marketed go into effect.

The following are now mandatory for cable products.

• You shall not use HDMI version numbers in the labeling, packaging, or promotion of any cable product. This includes releases of the HDMI specification (for example, HDMI 1.3, etc.), interim version numbers (for example, HDMI 1.3a, etc.) and CTS (Compliance Test Specification) version numbers (for example, 1.2, 1.3c, etc.).
    • All cables shall be labeled, both on the cable itself and on the front of the cable packaging, with the appropriate cable name (see below). As of November 18, 2010, compliance will be mandatory.
      • Standard HDMI® Cable
      • Standard HDMI® Cable with Ethernet
      • Standard Automotive HDMI® Cable
      • High Speed HDMI® Cable
      • High Speed HDMI® Cable with Ethernet
    • You shall label the physical cable based on the requirements listed in Section 5.2 of the Adopted Trademark and Logo Usage Guidelines.
    • All packaging for HDMI cables shall clearly indicate the cable type by using the Cable Type Logos shown in Section 5.3 of the Adopted Trademark and Logo Usage Guidelines.
    In order to enforce the cable market and ensure that only compliant HDMI cables are sold in the market, HDMI Licensing, LLC has been working with Custom and Border Protection agencies in the US, Europe and China. These agencies will evaluate imported and exported HDMI cable products based on their compliance with all aspects of the Adopter Agreement including these latest marketing requirements. HDMI Licensing, LLC strongly recommends that all Adopters abide by these requirements in order to ensure that there is no disruption to your business.

For more information, please reference the latest Adopted Trademark and Logo Usage Guidelines. To download a copy, please visit http://www.hdmi.org/logosphotos/atlug.aspx

www.hdmi.org
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Now how will stores upsell you on an HDMI 1.4 cable with these cumbersome restrictions?

Comment

• Theresa
      • Jul 2010

It's to sell things that are totally useless and limit consumer choice protected by governments in collusion with industry groups. Its the sole purpose behind hdmi 1.4. Industry has made controlling consumer choice its driving force.

Comment

• chrispy35
        • Feb 2004

And here I though 1.4 introduced nice things like Ethernet, 3D, audio return channel etc...I had no idea the government was going to work with industry to introduce a new spec to limit my choices.

How exactly are my choices limited here??

Also, the labeling requirement, although 'effective immediately', also has a grace period until Jan. 1, 2012 according to hdmi.org.

Chris P.

Comment

• Industrial
          • Mar 2009

What restrictions? I actually think they just want to be more clear. Makes more sense to me. I was shopping for HDMI cables locally and most places only understood what I was asking for saying 1.3b or 1.4 etc. All I wanted was a high speed HDMI cable (doesn't matter if its 1.3b or 1.4) with OR without ethernet (I was kinda desperate so I would of taken it without) And they kept saying they didn't have an 1.4's in stock and wont for a while. That doesn't matter! a 1.3b high speed and a 1.4 high speed (without Ethernet) is the same damn thing.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"