Microsoft product not compatible with Microsoft product, go figure, help?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Microsoft product not compatible with Microsoft product, go figure, help?

Was installing client side Microsost Forfront Internet security on XP based older Sony Notebook, I got an error trying to install at "Adminstrator level":

Error Logged-in User lacks Admin Rights!

I tried making sure my XP was up to date, reinstalling, nothing, this was a download for University level software, and shoudl work fine, the download did work, but it fails on install.

I searched, didn't see anything, anybody?

thanks,
    Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

The only think I can think of is to check in the control panel->user accounts and see if your id is in the Administrator group. You may need to logout and then log back in as admin. I ran into that on an install of office. Couldn't load in my user account and had to have IT log in as administrator to install.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Well, that is a horse of a different color, sounds like you didn't have Admin rights, but I do, there was only one account on computer. I even set up a second Admin account ang gave it Admin rights and tried under it too, nothing, same error. I'm stumped, I may make a ticket on it with our Help desk and see if I can get some recommendation from the Help desk/microsoft support personnel here.

This is my notebook, and my installation. I loaded windows XP to this system, it's licensed of course, all systems should be go.

Thanks Paul.
      Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Try rebooting... you'd be surprised how often that fixes weird problems like that.

It's Microsoft, what do you expect?... but internet security software by MS? I wouldn't trust that any further than you can throw it...

EDIT: Just looked up Forefront, isn't it an enterprise edge type security solution? In other words, something that would be installed on a server that connects an enterprise to the internet? It doesn't sound like something an end user would need to install on their lappy. Maybe the message is because it has to be installed on 2003/2008 Server rather than a workstation OS like XP...

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

I did reboot, of course, I also changed accounts, creating a new account with total authority. I found out at work it could be a network thing, because I am not considered to be in the "network zone". This totally blows out the idea that staff can download virus protection at home though for a desktop, as I am not taking my desktop to the network "zone". The notebook, I can take to office and try.
          Doug

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"