You will probably not top this server...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

You will probably not top this server...

At least, not anytime soon. These guys really went over the top. Make sure you watch the video, it's pretty insane.

It wasn't all that long ago when a mere nine SSD drives in a RAID array was enough to cause most folks' jaws to drop, but the world of ridiculous technology exercises moves quickly, and we can only be thankful that a select few continually feel the need to one-up each other and share their results with all of us. This latest effort comes from a group enlisted by Samsung (in a not too thinly disguised marketing exercise), who paired up 24 SSDs in a RAID array totaling 6TB in size. Even more impressive than that, however, is the 2GB per second throughput speed they managed to achieve, which they naturally spared no expense in demonstrating -- as you can see in the video after the break.[Via Reddit]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/96dWOEa4Djs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/96dWOEa4Djs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
    -Chuck
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

:rofl: That is cool!

I should have done that in my latest build, instead of using those antiquated 1 TB hard drives...

Assuming a RAID 0 array, those must have been 250 GB SSDs. Bu cu buckazoids. Of course, if just one of those things craps out, there goes the entire array. :uhoh:

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

The "open everything in the start menu" part and watching everything like visual studio and photoshop open up as if they were just notepad nearly brought tears to my eyes...
      -Chuck

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

It's hard to catch on the first watch, but around 2:53 he says "I downloaded every speech George W. Bush has ever done, it came to about 5.6 GB" and then deleted them (700 files) in about a half second. :rofl: He should have done DOD-grade overwrites of them first. Still would have taken a second or two with that array. :B

I bet I could top that performance though... build a box with like 64GB of RAM and load the entire OS, applications, and data onto a huge RAM disk. Take that, SSDs! :-y

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Wow.........jealous.

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

I was reading through some of the pages at the end of the vid (you gotta pause quick to catch them, and watch the HD version to read them). Pretty crazy that the bottleneck still wasn't really the drives so much as the limitations of the controller cards and motherboard. It mentions they had to remove one of the video cards because it was eating too much power from the motherboard and one of the controllers wouldn't boot. Here's their final configuration as I caught it from the last page:

26 Samsung SSD 256GB MLC
            4 Kingston 800MHz FBDIMM 1GB
            6 1*SAS -> 4 SATA SFF 8087
            6 1*MOLEX -> 4*SATA power
            2 Corsair HX1000W PS (PSs connected by soldering pins 14 and a few ground wires together. gives them common ground and connects PS_ON to let the motherboard control them diretly. power then shared between both supplies evenly)
            2 Intel Extreme QX9775 QC
            2 Zalman Coolers (sawed to fit)
            2 Radeon HD 4870 x2
            1 Intel SkullTrail D5400XS mobo
            1 adaptec series raid (8 channel, stock)
            1 areca 1680ix-24 RAID (beta firmware)
            1 thermaltake armor case

And Kevin yeah the 64GB ram disk would be sweet, until you lose everything when you turn it off . Then of course, 6,000 GB vs 64 GB of storage :B
            -Chuck

Comment

• P-Dub
              Office Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Wow, that is just amazing! Just goes to show what you can do with hardware these days.

I remember in the early '90's reading in one of those PC magazines about somebody building the ultimate, cost no object PC. I think they loaded up the PC a 64 Megs of memory and loaded everything onto the ram.

Heh, I laugh at typing 64 Megs of ram.
              Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

I have the thermaltake armor case, does that count for me getting close to to it?! :lol:

Though I don't understand why they only used 800Mhz memory... why not go for 1600 or overclocked 2000. Would've helped if they overclocked the machine a good bit.
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

Sounded like they were pushing the mobo's power regulators to their limits, there probably wasn't enough left over to overclock with.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"