X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Folding @ Home program HTGuide Team.

Hello all I just thought I'd make a thread telling everyone that HTguide now has a Folding @ Home team. The team number is 137901 and the page for our team is here http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/m...teamnum=137901 .

If you don't know what Folding @ Home is it's basically a distributed computing program ran by Standford University where you download a program and help by folding protiens to learn new information about diseases and other bodily things they are trying to cure. For more info check out this link

You can run this on any platform Windows, Linux, Osx and if any of you have a PS3 you already have the Folding @ Home program installed by default under your internet tab. Just go into the settings and add our team number in the identity option.
    Last edited by Chris D; 28 September 2008, 01:56 Sunday.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Count me in. Now if I could just get my already existing 650 folded threads to count.

This program is one that I personally very much believe in. I have NO information to prove that it has actually had any impact in science. But I have close personal connections with muscular diseases, that makes me believe in pursuing research and study in this field.
    Last edited by Chris D; 17 July 2008, 00:45 Thursday.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Hmmmm not sure if it will... The PS3 sure does it a lot faster then my Mac Mini though. I have 1 on my Mac Mini and 7 on my PS3 the PS3 maybe has 12 hours on the Mac Mini.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Just joined. Yeah, it's not letting me count any of my previous units. Oh, well. My personal count is still the same and increasing, but my count on the team starts over.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Yeah no big deal. I've been running it for a while now..I just got something real complex or something as its taking like a full day to do.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Anyway someone can make this a sticky so it doesn't get lost in the pages and new members or even members just journeying into the Tower Of Power section can see it

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Done.

Interesting, even though Dan has more units worked than me, I have a higher score for some reason.

Looks like Doug's winning the challenge, he must have got a jump on us, signing up for the team and then just leaving the PS3 on.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Yeah I pretty much leave it on all the time and my PC does a little work. How do you guys set it up so that it starts automatically when your not doing anything? I looked for a setting but didn't see anything.

Comment

• dyazdani
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                  Interesting, even though Dan has more units worked than me, I have a higher score for some reason.
                  I think it has more to do with time than the actual number of units, possibly. I've had a few units that only took 5-6 hours each. I'm on one now though that will take 30 hours so I'm assuming the points will be higher.
                  Danish

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Yeah you get more complex proteins and stuff they take longer.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Dougie, I can't remember where the setting is, but yes, you can tell it to autostart after a certain amount of time that your PS3 is idle. Or, you can just start it every time you're done with your A/V setup, turn off your TV, and leave.

I think the setting is on the main PS3 screen, if you press the triangle button when the Folding program is highlighted, it will bring up options or something.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

I'll have to look.... I forgot to take the trash up and Diana gave me an early morning wakeup to remind me.......

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

An update to this topic--Sony has now updated the section of the PS3 for Folding @ Home. You can now see live webcams from cities around the world, get weather, and news, too, while the folding is going on.

I still highly recommend this program to everyone. My family is personally affected by the diseases that this project seeks to cure. And all it takes is for you to leave your computer or Playstation on, after you're done with it and go to bed!
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007

Installed this on my work PC. Is there a way to remove it from the taskbar?? I just want the tray icon to show.
                            -Chuck

Comment

• krips
                              • Sep 2007

Try installing it as a service. It's faster, and you'll get more points out of it. Also, look into the SMP and VGA versions.
                              Sharp LC-42D64U
                              TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

A reminder about this, because it's been so long. This project is still going on, and the HTGuide team is still contributing. I encourage participation!
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Black300zx
                                  • Feb 2007

I just installed it on my desktop at home, joined the HTguide team, and will be leaving it running on my PC 24/7.

For those of you running it on your PS3, have any of you had any problems leaving your PS3 on constantly?

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

I've never had an issue leaving the PS3 on.

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

No, it's been literally YEARS that I've been leaving my PS3 on 24/7, and it will auto-run the Folding program after a certain length of inactivity, then just run with the rest of my system powered off until I use it again.

I wonder if Stanford is getting any more useable information out of the program.
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• PewterTA
                                        • Nov 2004

Are we still doing any of this...I could add my two servers into the fold... pun intended.
                                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                        -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

Yeah, I STILL do this regularly with my PS3's. I honestly don't know if Stanford is still getting new, useable info from it or not.

But events have happened in my life since I last posted in this thread (much less started it) and the work from this project now DIRECTLY impacts my life and my extended family. I very much appreciate anyone that contributes to this project.
                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                          😀
                                          😂
                                          🥰
                                          😘
                                          🤢
                                          😎
                                          😞
                                          😡
                                          👍
                                          👎
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"