X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Most bizarre printer issue in 25yrs of computing

The girl friend was complaining that using her desktop PC she could not print any of her documents, but she could print emails and printer test pages from the contol panel....

So went over to her place and sure enough, her little HP Deskjet will print emails, webpages or whatever, but not Word docs, NotePad/WordPad files. When ask to print those files the print head moves around and makes noises like it's printing but pages come out blank.

Did the uninstall, reinstall printers, changed and tried different software drivers same thing...

So grabbed her laptop and tried it. Same thing, it will print anything except Window/Microsoft word processing programs....

Anyone have a clue? She's little freaked out since she needs to print some stuff.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Thomas, close Word and do a search for all files titled "Normal" really "Normal.dot" (depending on if you view extensions). Delete them and restart Word, see what happens.
    Danish

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi Danish,

I'm no longer at her place.

What am I looking for?

Remember this occurs on 2 totally different computers. We tried cutting and pasting a section from a word doc into Notepad same thing occurs.

I should add this is a new problem, previously everything printed fine.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

I've seen other examples of the issue where the Word settings get corrupted. Deleting the "normal.dot" files causes Word to reset the profiles and printing starts working again.

You're right though, I didn't factor in the same thing happening on two PCs...did you try a hammer?

Try printing from Word, but make all the text red or blue. This might rule out some issue with the color settings (e.g. print set to white for some reason or a messed up black cartridge)
        Danish

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

A hammer to the printer is a definite possibility...

I'll probably go to Costco tomorrow and get a new printer....

The truly weird thing is it prints an XP test page correctly, and it prints webpages and emails correctly...

So color me confused..... 8O :roll:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Yeah, I did a Google search and found several people with the same issue, but no resolution...
            Danish

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Almost as if the printer is processing a certain file type incorrectly. Very strange?

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

Maybe the Word docs are printing in color while emails print in full black, or vice versa, and one of the cartridges is dead? Try going into File->Print, then click Properties from within Word and see what the settings are at. Check settings for color etc.

When you print an XP test page, do you get the correct colors in the Windows logo?

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer drivers too and see if that helps.

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Kevin P
                  Maybe the Word docs are printing in color while emails print in full black, or vice versa, and one of the cartridges is dead? Try going into File->Print, then click Properties from within Word and see what the settings are at. Check settings for color etc.
                  I checked all the settings in the Properities section, they're the same for anything the printer prints (docs, email, whatever), but Word/NotePad/WordPad files don't print even though the printer goes through all the motions of printing them

When you print an XP test page, do you get the correct colors in the Windows logo?
                  Yep everything is printed correctly on the XP test page

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer drivers too and see if that helps.
                  Did that, I even tried drivers for a different but similar printer.....with the same results.

The strange thing is this printer is several years old and has worked just fine until a week ago when this problem started.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Hmm...oh well printers are pretty cheap at least.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"