X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

PC HDD Data Recovery

My inlaws' computer is having issues with the hard drive. It will not boot, nor can any data be accessed even when used as a slave on another working PC.

Does anyone have any suggestions on recovering the data? They have some files they need and don't have a backup.

Thanks!
    Danish
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Why wont it boot? Do any error messages come up when it tries to load? Is it Windows XP? If so can you use the disk to get into the recovery mode?
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Says "Error loading operating system" most of the time. Sometimes the PC just shuts down and sometimes it gives you the BSOD.

I think it's running 2000
      Danish

Comment

• RobP
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Sounds exactly what mine did last week, I ended up booting from the windows CD and then running CHKDSK /R , rebuilt the boot sector and it came back with no problems.
        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

I'll try... can I run CHKDSK on it as a slave on my main PC? It's nice that way since I can boot off of my working HDD...
          Danish

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

You should be able to do so, although I have never done it that way.
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

Get this program, it'll fix your drive (most likely)...

If that doesn't work and you just want to try to restore files, I use EasyRecovery Professional...

The global leader in data recovery also offers data recovery software. Ontrack® EasyRecovery™ DIY software recovers your personal and business data.

Well worth the money if you definitely need the data back. So far I haven't found a drive that I couldn't get stuff back off of with those two programs (unless the drive was physically dead - bios didn't even see the drive).
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• dyazdani
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

I was able to use CHKDSK and get what I needed. I still can't boot due to some corrupted files, but I got their personal documents moved to my HDD.

I'm building them a new computer now...
                Danish

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Did you do the CHKDSK /R command? Or just CHKDSK?
                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• dyazdani
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

With the /R... it repaired some sectors, but some were not recoverable, apparently losing some OS files...
                    Danish

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"