X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comeup
    • Jul 2005

Vista Upgrade

Does anyone other than me have vista yet? I like, although I had some problems getting on the net for awhile there. How do you like? and what kind of problems have you come across?
    Blake
  • natural
    • Feb 2007

I was running the final beta of vista. Pretty, pretty! The prob was and still is support in the way of drivers for some of my hardware. A lot of my software that I needed to use wouldn't work either so I ditched it. Plus, reportedly, the final OS went to press with roughly 500 bugs. Made up my mind then to wait another year for support hardware and software to catch up before committing to the new OS.
    Diddy-Wah-Diddy

Comment

• comeup
      • Jul 2005

my flight sim x runs slower on vista than on xp i'm losing 10-15 frame rates now i need an direct x 10 video card to take full advantage of vista using flight sim x. I thought it would have been an upgrade for the graphics. It is with the video card that cost 400$ (geforce 8800).
      Blake

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
        • May 2003

I built a new gaming rig this week and used the opportunity to install vista.
        Managed to pick up a 6600conroe, Ds3, 2G Corsair, and 7600gs.
        So far i'm undecided. At times I hate it, other times i'm pretty impressed.
        the new interface is a beauty, there's no doubt about it.
        Driver support is HUGELY lacking.
        I bought a Diamond7.1DDL sound card before Xmas, and c-media only came out with a beta driver that's really not up to speed. On top of that i think the company is folding now, too.

NVidia is wayyyyy behind. Ati seems to come out with great drivers expressing 20% increases with (insert game name) here. but nothing like that for the geforce series.
        Oblivion runs about the same as it did on my old P4-2.6 system.
        there's a lot of problems with older games (diablo2 etc).
        i looked at the DX10 vid cards, too, like the 8800 but they're $$ and the support isn't there yet, so i spent 100 bones on a 7600gs to tide me over until the 8600gt is released.

The UAC thing is a joke. I still haven't figuerd out how to config it, so that running -say speedfan- doesn't pop up a UAC box everytime i'd like to check my voltages/temps.

i guess i'm not too impressed. If nvidia would toss out a performance increasing driver it would satiate me a bit.

this autofetching thing is weird too.
        I've never seen so much HD activity from an idle system.
        At first i thought i had a new vista virus, and shut my system down because I thought it was erasing all my flacs er sum junk.

speaking of which, i wanna take back the new 400G seagate now, too.
        all this Vista seek made me realize how loud this crappy 7200.10 is.
        It's like when I hooked up a hockey card to my bicycle tire spokes when i was a kid.

nfg.
        "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
        -Dark Helmet

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

I think my next OS after XP is going to be Linux or Mac based :lol:
          Jason

Comment

• natural
            • Feb 2007

Leef,you need a minimum of 1gig mem on Vista. 2 gig's is better and try a 1 gig stick of flash mem plugged into the usb port. The OS will guide you to allow the system to use it to speed up things.
            Diddy-Wah-Diddy

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
              • May 2003

Well i built with 2Gigs of Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12 C6400 DDR2, and i figured it should be sufficient. (although lately it seems the sweet spot has been recorded as being around 4gigs).
              I'm not going out and buying another 2 sticks though.
              this stuff was around $400.
              "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
              -Dark Helmet

Comment

• comeup
                • Jul 2005

Jason, you will love the mac once you get use to it easy transfer from IBM based.

Leef Dalucky, I feel the same as you do I love the interface & security , but for games I have lost to many frame rates. I was at Frys yesterday they now have an Nvidia 8800 320mb card for 299$ getting better we need the direct X 10 for vista to really feel the power of vista. I think I will break down and buy one............Let ya know how it is when I do.
                Blake

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Originally posted by natural
                  Leef,you need a minimum of 1gig mem on Vista. 2 gig's is better and try a 1 gig stick of flash mem plugged into the usb port. The OS will guide you to allow the system to use it to speed up things.
                  Huh? Vista can use a flash drive to supplement ROM memory? Isn't that just like an OS using a hard drive when it runs out of virtual memory?
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• natural
                    • Feb 2007

Yes, similar to using the hard drive for page file only so much faster!
                    Diddy-Wah-Diddy

Comment

• Fraise
                      • Dec 2004

i'd like to upgrade to vista 64bit but ATI doesnt have any driver support so until they i'm waiting it out.

Comment

• comeup
                        • Jul 2005

Vista is pretty, but ugly don't do it yet :x
                        Blake

Comment

• kurtholz
                          • Feb 2005

I upgraded, i love it, but i am into the visual aspect of it, plus it is much faster than my xp, i have had no problems with anything, though most of my components are newer and support vista

i think it is very much worth the $259 price tag, just for the looks alone

my two cents

Kurt

Comment

• Fraise
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by kurtholz
                            though most of my components are newer and support vista
                            i'm actualyl suprised that my ATi card that i bought in september still has no vista support Stupid FireGL lol

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"