X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pez
    • May 2004

Getting audio from PC to pre/pro

My wife has a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop PC and wants to use a pair of bookshelf speakers I have (which are currently collecting dust in a closet) instead of the small cheap speakers that it came with. At first glance I thought it would be a simple as using the 3.5 mm jack occupied by the computer speakers and getting an RCA apater. However after reading through some of the treads it looks like a better idea is getting either an external or internal sound card. Here are my questions:

1) I am not looking for audiophile quality sound, would using the 3.5 mm jack be an acceptable soultion?

2) If getting a new sound card is better, I would NOT want an external one. I have no problems installing an internal one but how would that affect the one the PC already has since its intergrated into the motherboard?

3) In regards to the 3.5 mm audio jacks the computer aleady has I know one is for a microphone and one is for audio out since that is what the PC speakers are connected to. There is a third jack which I am guessing is for audio in since the picture for it is similiar to the PC speaker jack but going the different direction. If I am right on all of those whats the difference between the audio in and microphone jack?

In case its not clear I want the audio from the PC to go to my rotel 1068 for a number reasons - basically treat it as another audio source. I have 6 channel amp which 4 of the channels are not being used. Now I cant remember if my rotel can send a digital audio source to zone 2 so I lam ooking to keep this on the analog side. However if it can then a digital out from the PC is fine - need to check on that.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Are these speakers active (powered) or do you have an amp to run them? Otherwise yes, you should just be able to connect the mini-jack output to the RCA input on your pre/pro (with appropriate cables/adapters) or via a optical or coaxial cable. (I'm not sure about the zone 2 thing though)

Otherwise, a new card will just get you better quality than onboard and free up some system requirements on your PC but if you're not looking for audiophile quality.... Try it with the onboard first, it's by far the cheapest/easiest solution and if you find the quality lacking then look at replacement cards etc
    Jason

Comment

• Pez
      • May 2004

Originally posted by aud19
      Are these speakers active (powered) or do you have an amp to run them? Otherwise yes, you should just be able to connect the mini-jack output to the RCA input on your pre/pro (with appropriate cables/adapters) or via a optical or coaxial cable. (I'm not sure about the zone 2 thing though)

Otherwise, a new card will just get you better quality than onboard and free up some system requirements on your PC but if you're not looking for audiophile quality.... Try it with the onboard first, it's by far the cheapest/easiest solution and if you find the quality lacking then look at replacement cards etc
      Speakers are not powered, I have an amp for that. I use a rotel 1066 amp (6 x 60 wpc) for my surrounds speakers in the main room and have 4 available channels on it.

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

You should be good on the computer side. Just use a mini jack to RCA cable. Like you said, digital may be an option.

FYI: most cards have a line-in in addition to the microphone. You have to choose which is the active recording input in the computer's mixer control.
        Danish

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"