X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Power Supply Suggestions

I think I need a new powersupply, besided my cpu going bluescreen every so often since I bought it about 3 years ago, recently as it powers up, I hear a distinctive change in fan pitch, which I equate to the unit not running properly. I could be entirely mistaken.

Anyway, I have the following:
    Antec 1080 Performance plus chassis, 400W Truepower
    Asus A7N8X deluxe socket A Nforce2 Mother board

What would be a good replacement powersupply?

Thanks
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Antec makes pretty good PS's but for another company suggestion, I'm REALLY happy with my QTechnology unit :T

Last edited by aud19; 11 May 2006, 19:24 Thursday.
    Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

I like Antec and PC Power & Cooling power supplies, I've had good luck with both in my PC builds.

Is the funny fan noise coming from the power supply? It could be the CPU fan or case fan too. If you're getting hangs or BSODs I'd check the CPU fan too.

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

I built my PC with an Antec PS and case - I've been extremely pleased. Actually, it's pretty close to the model you have.

You don't happen to be running heavily overclocked or anything do you?
        Danish

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Danish - Nope, have not overclocked anything.

Kevin - I don't know, it could be the CPU fan, I just assumed it was the PS, as it sounded like it was losing power or something.

Jason - That's a nice looking/sounding PS. I think I would be looking to one of those for my next pc.

I'm trying to extend the life of my current PC, so that's why I think if I just get a new PS, it will hopefully solve my problem. The lockups have been happening since I got the machine, but they were infrequent. Lately they are occuring more often. For what I do, this is a decent enough machine.

I am also just tempted to buy one of those basic PC's for $500 and call it a day.
          Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

You could build yourself something pretty decent for $500-$800 (Better than the crap you'll get for $500 from those cheapo deals)

But otherwise I agree, open up your case and confirm where the fan noise is coming from. One of the most common culprit's of fan noise I've found is from video card fans. You wouldn't want to spend money replacing your PS only to find the noise was still there would you...?

As for the lockups, that could be just about anything...memory, bad drivers for something, Windows might just need help etc...
            Jason

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by aud19
              But otherwise I agree, open up your case and confirm where the fan noise is coming from. One of the most common culprit's of fan noise I've found is from video card fans.
              Yep, mine would get caked with dust and get off balance. I've never heard it change pitch though.

It might be a good idea to take things apart, blow out any dust, and reseat all the components.
              Danish

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

Run Memtest86 on the machine for a few hours. Seems like in my experience (and in posts here) BSODs and lockups are more often caused by bad RAM than anything else.

Comment

• Vinny
                  • Mar 2006

Power supply failure/degrades usually don't bring to bluescreen. They will be more likely on stopping at the screen once your computer starts to load up or start or shut down immediately.
                  Check the display card's fan and bridge's fan for the noises. Main contributors of the favorite bluescreen is more on CPU/display/ram/mobo chain themselves, assuming the hard drive and the window's kernels are undamaged, that is.

I had one of my desktop ran in Antec before until lightning stroke it and it ultimately blew the whole PSU/CPU/mobo after the stroke by starting up prematurely and overworked the voltages. For the noise and power they do pretty good job but not the top notch among the power supplies
                  Pioneer KRP-500M
                  Emotiva UMC-1
                  Parasound 5125
                  Oppo BDP-83
                  Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                  SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kevin P
                    Run Memtest86 on the machine for a few hours. Seems like in my experience (and in posts here) BSODs and lockups are more often caused by bad RAM than anything else.
                    Count me as one of those :T Bad memory would explain why you've had lockups from the start as well.
                    Jason

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                      • Apr 2006

I have been using an Antec Phantom350 fanless PSU for over a year with zero problems.

I also recommend Nexus, and Zalman PSUs.

Comment

• sirbogey
                        • Mar 2006

I've heard from many people on tomshardware forum that they were struggling with their Antec power supplies in the SLI mode, but from what I read, that doesn't concern you. But such comments are highly subjective, since you never see posts when everything runs smoothly! I'm happy with my Hiper HPU-4B580 Type R 580 W PSU. And I'll be running two graphic cards with SLI pretty soon.

Comment

• RH Customs
                          • May 2006

Ok I build computer alot mostly "customs" and I don't think it is the power supply. To me it sounds like the bearing on the cpu fan has gone out. Although this is not a everyday problem it does happen. I would also try another cpu or mobo, it sound like that could be the issue on the blue screens. As for power supplies stick with Antec or Enermax, and stay faraway from the Thermaltake power supplies.
                          "Yes, but these go up to aleven" Spinal Tap

RH
                          :-y

Comment

• P-Dub
                            Office Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

My reboots are happening more often. I really don't have the time to diagnose.

I hear more of a change in fan speed and a click. So I am getting to the point of having to do something very soon. *sigh*
                            Paul

Comment

• RH Customs
                              • May 2006

I would try a new mother board then a new cpu and see what that does.

RH

Comment

• Vinny
                                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Paul Wu
                                My reboots are happening more often. I really don't have the time to diagnose.

I hear more of a change in fan speed and a click. So I am getting to the point of having to do something very soon. *sigh*
                                Well you hear clicking sound and fan speed unstable reflect the fan of something(could be cpu/displaycard/bridge etc) is dying because the ball bearing get worn. Just replace that fan will get your computer back to life :T
                                Pioneer KRP-500M
                                Emotiva UMC-1
                                Parasound 5125
                                Oppo BDP-83
                                Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                                SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• RH Customs
                                  • May 2006

Yep just like Vinny said try the cpu fan, that is the least expensive thing to check out first.

RH

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                                    • Aug 2004

It might be too hot inside the case and you've collected dust, cpu probably needs to be reseated with a good thermal grease, and load memtest86 and see if you have a problem with your RAM too.Antec is pretty good, but not all that. I had their TP2-550 but it couldn't hold up my 2 7900GT and Raptors with about 8 Fans, so I bought the FSP Group FX600, it's the best thing you spent for about $129.00 pretty much "bang for the buck" when you compare it to PC Power and Cooling or Silverstone.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"