X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimRawson
    • Oct 2004

DIY powersupply

Curious, any DIY power supply kits? WOuld like to reuse a good car audio amp but the tricky, and expensive part, is to create a 12-14VDC from AC.

As an experiment, bought a lump of 10 new, obsolete (AT motherboard), computer power supplies. Rated to provide 6A on the 12V output. Planning to dismantle them , parallel the 12V outputs (combine current sources) to produce 6 x (number of units) amps needed. Will this work, theoretically should. The car audio amp has 40amp fuse. So, looking to put 8 together. Maybe just two to do a quick stablility test before I go gung-ho.

Would be an awefully cheap 12VDC supply - 5 bucks + time and effort. Of course would have to mount this stuff up, enclose it, put a fan on it. Probably throw it in my garage and set up some relay turn on.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

This is NOT a good idea.

Amplifiers present a dynamic load with HUGE swings in voltage AND amperage. PC power supplies are not designed to supply this type of power. And trying to 'strap' multiple switching power supplies together is a bad idea. You run the risk of destroying the power supplies, the amp and maybe burning down the garage just in time for the holidays.

Sell the amp and power supplies buy something appropriate for home use.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• TimRawson
      • Oct 2004

Thanks... wasn't worried about destroying powersupplies, but of course don't want to create a hazard. Just wish there was a way to create a 12vdc cheaply - curious what stores use to run there displays. But of source that is commercial grade and very pricey for home use. OH well - guess I'll hold onto the amp for car use someday.

Comment

• taz13
        • Jun 2004

Deep cycle batteries and charger, anyways that is what I use at my cabin( it is off grid). Stereo and HT are all 12Vdc and works great, even when driving 8 ohm speakers.
        The day is not complete if something new is not learnt.
        Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• thylantyr
          • Nov 2004

Since you bought the supplies and are not worried,
          then pick the ones that have the closest measured 12v output and use a high current diode on each output (if it doesn't have one internally) to parallel them.

ps1 output --> diode --> +12v out
          ps2 output --> diode --> +12v out
          ps3 output --> diode --> +12v out

Connect all the +12v out's together.

This isolates each power supply from one another, but
          you get current sharing when they start to load down and
          the voltages equalize.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"