X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimmyNeutron
    • Mar 2006

My DIY media server

Hello all. This will be my first post here at HTGuide forum, I'll try to make it a productive one. :T

I recently built myself a media server and I wanted to share it with you. It is a stand alone component sized unit that does not rely on mouse, keyboard, or monitor for operation. It is remote controlled and all information is displayed on a built in LCD panel. I have about 1000 CD's stored in the unit in FLAC format, as well as my pictures, and home movies. I have the audio (digital output) connected to my McIntosh unit for processing and it sounds great. It is connected to my home network via 802.11 - G wireless and accesses CDDB for music cataloging and weather updates. It runs the Meedio front end and upon start up it boots straight into Meedio - no Windows screens or nuthin'. You could'nt tell it's a computer just by looking or playing with it.

Anyway, just thought I'd share it with you and if anyone is interested they can read about the whole build process at my website: http://www.jimmyneutron.org/ . Well I hope I contributed a little something here on my first post and I look forward to many more.

Jimmy

Last edited by JimmyNeutron; 29 April 2006, 11:06 Saturday.
    My website: www.jimmyneutron.org
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Cool!
    Danish

Comment

• Alloroc
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

Stunning effort Jimmy...... :T :T :T
      Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• autio
        • Mar 2005

Awesome piece really matches well with your mac gear. I checked out the rest of your site very interesting!!

Comment

• Paul H
          • Feb 2004

Is there a place to nominate someone for "best first post"?

Fantastic product, and really good documentation too. I'll definitely be returning to your site when I start building something similar for myself.

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Very classy job there :T

If I only had the budget....I'd try to out do you! :twisted: :lol:
            Jason

Comment

• brac
              • Aug 2005

Dude that thing is awsome!
              Great Job.
              Brac

Comment

• JimmyNeutron
                • Mar 2006

Thank you for the very nice compliments. I am enjoying the server very much right now. But I do have a question for some of the local guru's: I will be replacing the sound card soon. It was told to me that to get the best possible fidelity from the FLAC files it would be best to bypass a soundcard completely and thereby bypassing the Windows Kernal that mixes the music information with the OS information, and instead use a USB outboard DAC to feed directly into my pre/amp's internal DAC or to another DAC with analog outputs. Obviously this will yeild the best performance but I'm wondering why the Soundblaster Live cards digital outputs are said to be inferior than USB? At this point aren't bits just bits? Wouldn't a USB DAC just take more CPU useage away from other sources?

Jimmy

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

As far as I know all SB cards use that Windows Kernel, Hence the problem.

M-Audio makes good quality "affordable" cards and Lynx studio makes some very nice high end cards. Have a look at some of those companies products
                  Jason

Comment

• Nathan P
                    • Mar 2006

That is awesome. Where did you get a case with a built in LCD? That's about the sweetest thing I've seen. That beats any mcpc I've seen before.

Comment

• JimmyNeutron
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Nathan P
                      That is awesome. Where did you get a case with a built in LCD? That's about the sweetest thing I've seen. That beats any mcpc I've seen before.
                      I designed and built the case - I designed and built the whole thing. I wanted a built-in LCD panel and touchpad so that I didn't have to rely on keyboard/mouse/monitor for operation - it worked. I've got the build process documented on my site - have a look if you'd like. :T

Jimmy

Comment

• storello
                        • Mar 2006

That's some slick box you put together! I've got a simple PC with mp3 files that I want to upgrade to a discrete sound card and I'm considering the SoundBlaster X-FI ExtremeMusic. If you upgrade to to an X-FI board I'd really like to know what you think of it.

Thanks,
                        Sharon

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Deff one of the COOLEST things i have seen in a long time!!!!
                          KUDOS to you!!!

Now the million $$ question.....

How much is it gonna cost me!!
                          B&W

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by storello
                            That's some slick box you put together! I've got a simple PC with mp3 files that I want to upgrade to a discrete sound card and I'm considering the SoundBlaster X-FI ExtremeMusic. If you upgrade to to an X-FI board I'd really like to know what you think of it.

Thanks,
                            Sharon
                            Personally I'd avoid Sound Blaster cards....
                            Jason

Comment

• JimmyNeutron
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by aud19
                              Personally I'd avoid Sound Blaster cards....

This is true. It is best to avoid the Soundblaster line of cards. The new X-Fi Extreme cards have problems with ticks and pops on many motherboards. These cards are fine as a starter card, but for better sound a card like M-Audio or a similar one, or even do away with a card altogether and go with a USB DAC - that would be much better. Right now I will not upgrade this server any more - the sound quality is very nice and much better using the digital out. I am currently building 2 more servers and I will implement many new things that I learned along the way. The design of these new server, as well as the hardware are going to make seriouos waves - :E . I am now working with brushed aluminum and will use hi-end outboard DAC's from Burr-Brown. I have some really cool tricked out designs. I'll post pics as soon as they're available.

Jimmy

Comment

• Saggas
                                • Mar 2006

sorry to sound ignorant. But could someone please explain what a USB DAC is? im a computer guy more than an audio guy.

Comment

• Kobus
                                  • Aug 2005

DAC = Digital to Analog Converter

So you are using the "computer's" USB port to extract the digital data (music) and converting it externally to the analog domain required for playback.

Kobus

Comment

• JimmyNeutron
                                    • Mar 2006

Right you are, Kobos. Also, by extracting the music's digital signal from the USB port you avoid having it mixed with the Windows kernal (and the rest of what is happening in the Windows enviroment) and it will stay true to the source. Then take that digital signal and convert it back to analog form by a high quality DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) like those used in the home CD playback market and the sound quality should now approach (at least to a significant degree) the performance of a "real" top quality CD player. ---------At least that's what "they" say (I still don't know who "they" are LOL ). I'll try it anyway as it seems to make sense on paper, so we'll see if it actually works in practice. Should be easy to implement as I have access to a few nice DACs and the design would be a serious cool looking and possibly (?) groundbreaking server for the serious DIYer. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Jimmy

Comment

• Saggas
                                      • Mar 2006

mm sounds interesting, what about the quality of the mp3 (i take it thats what you guys are playing via your HTPC)
                                      my entire collection is ripped @ 192 + stereo. I take it this is a big factor into the sound quality.

Comment

• Foxman
                                        • Jan 2003

WOW. Here I am listening to my little ol PC through my gear using WMP with my collection ripped lossless, fooling around with wireless Keyboards, and a mouse wondering if I have enough Hard Disk space and I pop over here and am blown away with the effort. I plan on visiting your sight but don't have time to really do it right right now....but based on the things I see, this is one of the most impressive home DIY projects I have seen home theater related.

Very nice.
                                        IMO

My Movies
                                        Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• aud19
                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2003

The USB thing can/does work but I think I'd still go with a decent quality card from the likes of M-audio (or Lynx if I could afford it)... from there if I REALLY needed further improvement I think I'd go with a Benchmark DAC1 (or similar) from the PC's digital output. IMO, that would be a equally good and more flexible solution.
                                          Jason

Comment

• Saggas
                                            • Mar 2006

lynx and M-audio, are they american brands? can't seem to locate them in australia.

Comment

• aud19
                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Saggas
                                              lynx and M-audio, are they american brands? can't seem to locate them in australia.
                                              Not sure where they're based but here's their web pages... might just have to order online

Acclaimed audio interfaces, studio monitors, and keyboard controllers

We engineer the finest tools to help audio professionals create even better sound.
                                              Jason

Comment

• JimmyNeutron
                                                • Mar 2006

I think I'd go with a Benchmark DAC1 (or similar) from the PC's digital output. IMO, that would be a equally good and more flexible solution.

This is exactly what I am doing with my new server build ( you been spying on me? LOL). My question is this: some mobos have pin headers for the digital out right on the board. Is this a regular digital out? Can I just attach an RCA plug to that header for connection to my stereo or is it a special digital plug and I will need some adaptor? Also, if I use an outboard DAC I want it to be small enough to fit inside the case (break open the DAC case and mount the circuit board inside the case - sheilded of course), but I would need the DAC to output not just a digital out but an analog out as well. Does anyone know of any quality and inexpensive DACs that are small?

Jimmy

Comment

• aud19
                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2003

Any mobo with a digital audio out should be able to have a digital optical and/or coaxial cable connected directly to it. However, I have not compared the quality of the digital output from a mobo with the output from a higher quality soundcard. There may be a large difference, or none at all when using an outboard DAC.
                                                  Jason

Comment

• Saggas
                                                    • Mar 2006

its a regular digital out, but id assume the quality wouldn't be as good as the digital out on a soundcard, as the line in + line out on most motherboards isn't no where near as good as a creative soundblaster.

Comment

• JimmyNeutron
                                                      • Mar 2006

Hmmmmmm interesting. I guess that leaves going the USB out to a DAC. Anyone know of any drawbacks to going this arrangement over a upper end soundcard?

Comment

• Saggas
                                                        • Mar 2006

see it must be just the lack of a big market in australia, almost everywhere I go and ask for upper end soundcards they recommend the creative soundblaster XFI
                                                        which is like $300 with a front bay

Comment

• fvoelling
                                                          • Jul 2004

Jimmy,

Nice machine, I'll have to check out your web site for details. Go to head-fi.org and peruse the "Computers-as-Source Components" for info on USB DACs, soundcards, etc. (warning: that site is very addictive, especially if you are into headphones).

Frank

Comment

• Foxman
                                                            • Jan 2003

Jimmy,

I couldnt sit and read everything online, so I copied and pasted to word and printed it...over 50 pages, on your project. I have read most of what you wrote and looked at those pictures. I havent digested everything by a long shot, but I am guessing you have some pretty extensive experiance with fabrication and or computer/electronics. I don't know too many people that would have the knowledge to be able to solder some of the things your did and fashion such a nice unit as your's. I thouroughly enjoyed reading about what you did, but it is pretty far out of my league.

You mention cutting down the tower and making it "component" size. What did you use to cut the frame and how did you fasten it back together IE: Solder, spot weld or sheet metal screws? I am trying to get a feel for whether or not I have the tools to attempt anything like this.

Would you prefer dialogue on this forum, through PM or by Email for future questions?
                                                            IMO

My Movies
                                                            Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• JimmyNeutron
                                                              • Mar 2006

I checked out head-fi.... :E . I'm pretty sure I'll hang out there for a while.

Foxman....wow.. 8O ...to have printed out all those pages and pictures....must have drained your ink in your printer ( ever heard of bookmarks?). The case I had was a large case from the computer I was using in the garage. I didn't need it anymore and then one day it fell over on it's side and *looked* reasonably close to a regular stereo component. After cutting out all the insides and brackets, and removing the top and bottom (which became the sides), and cutting out the rear alltogether I came with a size that fit well with the rest of my stereo gear - if 1" too wide than what I would have preferred. I used a dremel tool to cut pieces and make others fit and to fabricate new brackets with left over steel from the case. I appreciate everyones comments but this case and build was rushed and is not a *production* type build at all. Like I said it was built from scraps and add-ons - a mish mash of stuff that in the ens turned out, much to my amazement, surprisingly well. :E . I consider it a learning experience, and I will impliment many changes on my next (current) build. I am real excited about it as it really will be a departure from the conventional designs I've seen and will leave people saying "that design was staring everybody right in the face - why didn't I think of it!" For obvious reasons I won't post pics, but let's just say that I'm being pushed into copyrighting the design. :W Some of the features I will be employing is the LCD screen (having a full working LCD of the desktop, and not just to show limited system info like the Silverstone cases, is essential to a functional media server), high quality dedicated DAC, and many carry-over features from the MS1-P server, as well as some secret new ones. I'm still debating wether I will include a ROM drive as anyfile can just be transferred via wi-fi. Right now my designs gear around AUDIO servers with video secondary, so video will not be a big factor. Anyway, I will share it when it is complete.

Comment

• fvoelling
                                                                • Jul 2004

How did you cut the plexiglass, or did you have that done by a shop?

Comment

• aud19
                                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Saggas
                                                                  see it must be just the lack of a big market in australia, almost everywhere I go and ask for upper end soundcards they recommend the creative soundblaster XFI
                                                                  which is like $300 with a front bay
                                                                  I think it more a matter of Soundblaster being the generic response. Happens here too and I always cringe when I hear it :lol:
                                                                  Jason

Comment

• Saggas
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2006

I think it more a matter of Soundblaster being the generic response. Happens here too and I always cringe when I hear it :lol:
                                                                    haha yeah well, its what I can afford at the time, and the onboard is EVEN worse than that :P

Comment

• JimmyNeutron
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2006

Soundblaster is on every shelf of every department store over here. I've never even seen a Turtle Beach card or M-Audio! Sometimes you just gotta make do with what's available.

Fvoelling: I bought 2 small sheets pf plexiglass, one thinner than the other. I cut them myself with a jigsaw. There are blades available for cutting the plexiglass - worked very well. Plexiglass won't cut with a razorblade. A dremel with a spinning wheel works good for detailing, then polish the glass and edges with a polisher. Everything on that case was made by me - all cutting, polishing, trimming.

Jimmy

Comment

• Saggas
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2006

hey jimmy, do you still use your email thats listed on the site? if so did you recieve my email?

Comment

• JimmyNeutron
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2006

Saggas, you can e-mail me at jaime@jimmyneutron.org. You can e-mail right from my site.
                                                                          Last edited by JimmyNeutron; 29 April 2006, 11:07 Saturday.

Comment

• Saggas
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2006
                                                                            • 23

yeah thats where I emailed you man. i take it for some reason you didn't recieve it?

Comment

• JimmyNeutron
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2006
                                                                              • 21

#39
                                                                              Nope. E-mail me again.

Comment

Working...
                                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                              Search Result for "|||"