X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

High Pitch sound from Monitor?

Recently I've been hearing a very high pitch sound coming from my monitor. The monitor is an old Optiquest Q71, 17" CRT. I think I bought this back around in 2000.

The sound is intermitent, and I seem to be the only one that hears it! My wife says she can't hear a thing. But I know it is there. I'd say very close to the 20,000 Hz range. I just need a mic and a frequency analyzer to graph the sound! If I had to guess, I'd say it is probably 18,238 Hz.

I'm hoping it is serious enough that my monitor will just black out! That way I can get a new monitor.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

It's the flyback transformer. All CRT devices produce high pitched whines, though PC monitors are usually higher than TVs (it depends on the refresh rate) and I don't usually hear them. I can hear TV whine though, which is closer to 15 KHz.

In your case, your transformer is vibrating louder at times than others. I doubt it'll lead to your monitor "dying" anytime soon, but then you never know.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

This may or may not be the same thing, but I've found that I can hear when a monitor or television is on, and have been able to my whole life. It's probably CRT like you say, Kev. A lot of other people can't hear it, but I can walk into a room, and if a TV was left on, I can hear it, even if it's black and looks like it's off because there's no input or something.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

I can tell in a heart beat if a TV is on in another room....

You can definitely hear it... but if it's getting more pronounced... it's probably starting to go. I had an old monitor in college that started to go, when it would get really warm (like after being on for an hour or two)...it would make a really high pitched whining noise (which anyone could pretty much hear)... I found the solution was to put a fan on the monitor and it stopped making the noise and still (5 years later) works... You might want to look at something like this http://www.3dcool.com/Products.asp?id=328

For the price and to have it cool your monitor significantly and make virtually no noise, it's well worth the price!!!

The only thing I did was add foam padding to the rubber feet they put on it to help isolate the vibration noise of the monitor cabinet. After I did that, works like a charm.

I have this on all 5 of my monitors for my family (not all my computers)...but it has significantly extended the life of all of our CRT monitors.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
          This may or may not be the same thing, but I've found that I can hear when a monitor or television is on, and have been able to my whole life. It's probably CRT like you say, Kev. A lot of other people can't hear it, but I can walk into a room, and if a TV was left on, I can hear it, even if it's black and looks like it's off because there's no input or something.
          Ditto :B
          Jason

Comment

• P-Dub
            Office Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Yup, me too on the TV thing. But the pitch of a TV is quite a bit lower compared to my monitor. We have a TV at the office, and sometimes people forget to turn it off after a satelite broadcast. I can hear the hum, eventhough it looks black and off.

Just to update, my monitor is still working. I think it might be heat related, as I moved end of June. Now my computer is in a corner that gets a lot of sun. I leave my monitor on all the time, with powersaving. I noticed that it went away for a month or so, but again recently it started to act up.

I might try the fan, but that would defeat the purpose of my monitor going kaput and allowing me to buy a new LCD. :B

I've got my eye on a 17" LCD HDTV capable screen and monitor.
            Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"