X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

New Sony G520P Monitor

I just got my new 21" Sony monitor and I have to say this thing is pretty damn impressive!

It actually looks pretty slick. It matches the Lian Li very well. I know I have to paint my keyboard tray. I'm thinking of painting the tray silver.

As impressive as the G520P is I have to say I was disappointed with one thing, that is it does not have USB control like my NEC. This is a minor issue as the jog lever is very easy to use and all adjustments have a numbered value associated with it. I have always liked the way Sony does HMI and the G520 is no exception, Sony does this so well. The monitor is relatively small in cubic dimensions for a 21" monitor. It has a 19.8" viewable area that is as flat as flat can be. It's not as big as its screen leads you to believe.

How does it look? Very nice indeed as it has a .24 uni-pitch over the entire screen. Typically aperture grill designs have always had 2 differing pitches across the screen with the corners being the coarser of the 2 (i.e. 0.25 center, 0.27 corners). I have not had a chance to calibrate it yet as I want to burn it in a bit before I do that. Out of the box it is set fairly well, I had to drop the contrast and decrease the brightness to get it in the ball park of where I like my monitors.

Text is nice and clean although not razor sharp like you would see on a LCD monitor; however this is not the strengths of this monitor. Graphical work is where it's at and already I can tell this is going to be a dream. Digital photos that use to look clear and sharp on my old monitor, now exhibit flaws with in the picture themselves that I had never seen before. This monitor really shows the limitations of my digital camera in certain situations (oh, oh, new camera time?). The biggest thing I'm noticing now is the chromatic aberrations in some photos that I never seen before. I use a Nikon 990 3.3 mega pixel camera and it is said to have slight CA at the widest lens angle. Although I have seen it before in some of my photos, I never realize how much

Color wise it looks beautiful with out being highly oversaturated. As I said earlier, it has not yet been calibrated, however I have no doubt its images and color rendition will be of the highest order.

Geometrically, I'm pleased with this monitor as it needed very little adjustment to bring the desktop to all corners of usable screen space. This pleases me for my biggest fear was it would have some bend in it that would drive me nuts. I tend to be fanatical about these things, such that it took me 4 monitors to get one I was happy with when I purchased my NEC. Need less to say that factored in to my decision to purchase this monitor locally rather than on line. It cost more in the end, however the amount was a barging for the piece of mind I now have that I can just drop this monitor off at the Sony store downtown should I experience any problems.

On feature that I really like on the G520P is the "Picture Effect" button on the panel. It is a predefined set of parameters that adjust the monitor's color, gamma, contrast and brightness for the intended application. Pressing the PE button cyclically runs through the 3 various settings:

Professional: Accurate and consistent display color for desktop publishing and graphic applications.

Standard: Images with high contrast and brightness, intended for commonly used applications, such as spreadsheets, word processing, e-mail or web surfing.

Dynamic: Extremely vivid and photo-realistic images. This mode is brighter than "Standard" mode and is set up for intense graphic applications such as games, DVD playback or entertainment software.

This is much like the 4 mode settings on my Sony XBR TV. I use those frequently, adjusting for the program material. I like it!

The monitor has 2 VGA inputs as it supports dual PC's. I can see this coming in handy for when I'm trouble shooting other's PC's. They always drop of just the box and I must disconnect my monitor to have a look at their system. Sure now I have a spare 19", however I can see this being handy for sure.

So that's the quick and dirty on my new monitor, I'm very pleased at this point and think it was money well spent.

Bing
    Bing
  • Eduardo
    Moderator emeritus
    • Jun 2002

I never thought I would be jealous : of another man. Bing your the first.

Maybe when I have the money you can help pick the parts to build my computer.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Thanks Eduardo, no need to be envious :LOL:

Certainly I can help you with you rPC :0

OK, I'm gone backpacking in the Canadian Rockies for about a week...

Chow!

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Oh Bing!!
        Very Nice.:T

If you are gone away for a week,,make sure to drop it by and I will ensure the appropriate burn in process takes place. :LOL:

Have a good trip.

Way to go on the new screen!!:T

Trevor
        My HomeTheater S.E.
        Sonically Enhanced
        C5
        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Very nice monitor, Bing! I'm sure you're going to enjoy it a great deal.

I've also had some Iyama monitors which use a trinitron like aperture grille construction. It's hard to beat these CRT's for graphic work, particularly when color accuracy is desired along with subtle but accurate rendition of color.

My NEC flat panel dispaly is great for CAD work, and OK for DTP, but at time I wish I had a big CRT again. I'm hoping that some of the newer panels coming out with 10 bit gamma correction and 10 bit A/D will make me more satisfied with the performance for digital image work and video, but I'm still a bit sKeptical. Wish I had the room for a big Sony 21 or 24" widescreen monitor, but that would be a problem in my current workstation.

This monitor really shows the limitations of my digital camera in certain situations (oh, oh, new camera time?).
          yup, that's how the "upgrade-itis" effect continues- I'm still learning new things about my clunky old Sony SLR pro-sumer camera, but the better everything else is and the more I learn, the more I lust after the new toys.... I made a committment to no camera upgrade for another two years, though- there are some new imaging technologies near manufcaturing that will change the price performance ratios- though I don't think good lenses will ever be cheap. That's the real unavoidable cost.

Happy viewing!

-Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
            • Sep 2000

Nice monitor Bing. You're right - goes great with the Lian Li!

Geometrically, I'm pleased with this monitor as it needed very little adjustment to bring the desktop to all corners of usable screen space. This pleases me for my biggest fear was it would have some bend in it that would drive me nuts. I tend to be fanatical about these things, such that it took me 4 monitors to get one I was happy with when I purchased my NEC.
            I'm the same way...was never happy with the geometry on the CRTs I had. Did you find the Sony in general was better in this respect or do you think you just lucked out with a good unit?

Unfortunately I do more text-based work than anything else, and thus I don't think I can ever go back to CRT again. But for games...man that must be AWESOME!

Congrats Bing.

/Jeff

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Thanks Guys!

Jon that FW900 is one awesome monitor! Make it fit buddy! That would looks so good with your awesome Coolermaster case

When LCD's hit the 10bit color and zero voltage black, it may be time to buy. However they are going to have to increase the resolution and interpolate other resolutions much better before I would ditch a CRT.

I hear Canon has some 11MP model on the horizon 8O , yep best wait for DC's may be like PC's for the short while.

Jeff, running test patterns on the Sony shows it is pretty straight geometrically. I may have been lucky, however I have read a lot of reports that states the Sony is straight as well. I have found Viewsonics to have some geometric problem with the 19" and 22" models I have had, seems some reviewers have the same experiance. It could be the difference between the Trinitron tube to the Mitsubishi Diamondtron, hard to say, but I'm inpressed with the lines of this FD Trinitron.

The games are just awesome as is graphical editing. The 0.24 pitch is nice and tight and really resolves detail crisply. Color is nice and accurate. I find myself not worrying anymore if my digital images are color correct or not, I trust they are.

Funny you say you would not go back to CRT after using LCD. After using this Sony, I want to drop kick my NEC 1550V LCD of a building It's 1020x768 max resolution just doesn't compare to the Sony's maximum 2048x1536. I run it at 1600x1200 and it really is superb! I ran it at it highest resolution and it actually still looked sharp, however the text is just to small for my feeble eyes. LCD's are nice, however, the limited resolution, screen door effect and blocky color really make it hard for me to love one...yet

We like what we like, and some people like LCD's over CRT... We all have our reasons I guess

Cheers!

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
                • Sep 2000

Bing;

You bring up some good points in the old CRT vs LCD debate. To be fair to CRT, my experience with them has been limited to inexpensive models. I do believe that to achieve great things with CRT, one must be willing to spend a bit more. For text-based computing, I think LCDs win out by far.

One annoying limitation is resolution. I don't mind my 15" LCD, but it would be nice to go larger. Unfortunately I don't like the fixed resolution at the 17" size, so if I go that route it will have to wait a few years until the technology moves forward.

/Jeff

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Well, I'm firmly straddled in the middle on the CRT and LCD thingie.

The thing I really, really hate about the cheaper LCD's, such as go into laptops I can afford, is the degree to which the response and light and color balance changes off axis, especially vertically. Even my Sony laptop is not very good, but at least it has tolerable color balance, unlike my IBM corp laptop which is very bluish and can't render greens, reds, or browns with even a vague semblance of reality (considering that it's not outright busted). The optimial viewing window on my Sony is probably only +/- 10 degrees.

I have two 18" NEC LCD displays. At 1280X1024, they're quite decent on CAD and excellent for text work; only an Hitachi CRT with 0.22 mm dot pitch could rival them on text, and the Hitachi has some color accuracy issues also. The biggest drawback to the NEC's is that they have a scaler chip which performs quite poorly; so if you're not driving them at native resolution or at 1/2 (think 640X480), the image suffers pixelation and jaggies.

So, I've tended to recommend Samsung and some other brands of LCD's to friends which have much better down scalers, and can actually produce a decent XGA image through anti-aliasing on a 1280X1024 panel.

The real bargain is the panel I picked up for my laptop and my audio test computer; it's a Sylvania 17" LCD, bought at Costco for $499. It has a very decent down scaling chip, so XGA and SVGA look quite decent on it, though when driving from my laptop it's always 1280X1025 anyway. Off axis response is quite good, though not as consistent to the extremes (130 degrees plus) as my NEC's). The price was very right, being what typical XGA 15" have sold for.

That said, if I had the space, a W900 would be the way to go. I've seen it's predessor at length, and it can be tweaked up for really stunning DVD playback- lord only knows I wish I could get a 32" or 34 " diagonal display with remotely similar quality. I'd have to do some surgery on my desk, add a pedestal or something, to get it high enogh to clear the side shelves where the speakers reside. As is, the 18" NEC works in their perfectly, and not having the front to back space requirment of the CRT really helps.

Now, here's what I'd really like to have- I've drooled over these a few times, and the image quality is pretty dang special, as well it should be at the price....

This is the Apple 23" Widescreen display; the image doesn't begin to do it justice. It's available in a widscreen version at 1600X1024 and in an HD version with 1920X1200. It's also impressive to see mutliple video streams running on a G4 on this screen, but let's not go there for now...

Maybe if I start playing and actually win the lottery.... nah, not likely!

-Jon

Earth First!
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bing Fung
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2000

Jon, I seen that Apple Display at a show home in Saskatoon, running the new broad band DIV TV services (MAX). I played with it and the Mac OS for a bit, and I would have to say I was ready to give a kidney for it as well. ~$6000 cdn.

2 LCD monitors that I'm interested in is the Dell 2000 FP

or a Princton 981

Any known reason why the Princton only supports DVI up to 1280 x 1024, yet will display 1600x1200 @ Analog?

Why also do laptops with 14.1, 15" screens have the capability to display UXGA signals, or at least higher that 1280x1024, but desktop system are limited to 1024x768 (15') or 1280x 1024 (most 17", 18") ???

Issues like this keep me away from LCD for the main display, however I do want to pick up another LCD just for second monitor support.

BTW Jon, that sounds like one killer rig you have with the dual 18"s

Great tip on the Sylvanias, our Coscos don't seem to stock them.

I agree, the Samsungs, seem to be the best consistant value going for LCD panels.

HP also makes a decent display with DVI on the 15" and 17" models.

Bing
                    Bing

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"