X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

IBM Desktop Format

(Sorry I'm at work and don't have a model # to reference. I'll see if I can get that and any additional info when I go home later )

So I go to format my GF's 4-5 year old IBM Desktop and put XP on last night.... Sounds easy right?!

After formatting the drive and copying XP's setup files the system rebooted as usual but then got stuck cycling through reboots. I start to worry.

Then I attempt to enter the bios to confirm the HD is visible and no other settings are amiss. There seems to be no bios, at least none that I can figure out how to enter?!? :scratchhead: :unsure: Now I'm really worried.

Any thoughts....?
    Jason
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Try hitting F1 when the IBM splash screen appears. That should get you into the BIOS setup. If that doesn't work, try Del (standard for AMI BIOS, which some IBM Aptivas use).

F2, F10 or F12 are also common BIOS entry hot keys. Make sure to hit it before the OS attempts to boot.

Do you know what kind of hard drive the PC uses? If it's a SCSI (or SATA) drive, you'll have to download a SCSI driver ffrom the IBM website and put it on a floppy and hit F6 when prompted when the XP CD is booting up.

You may also want to go to IBM's website and download and install the latest BIOS updates for the machine.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

There is no IBM splash screen...? I of course tried the del key but I'll give F1, F2, F10 & F12 a try but I still don't understand why the normal XP install wouldn't continue after reboot?!? It will boot from CD or if I hit F8 brings up the Safe Mode options as usual but it won't load the normal XP install? This would tell me the HD is working and available. Plus the fact that it let me format the drive and copy the setup files in the initial steps....?!
      Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

How far does it get into the boot before it reboots? XP splash screen? Desktop? Do the little blue or green bars appear on the splash screen? It could be a BIOS issue (look for an updated BIOS), or a hardware compatibility issue (look on IBM's website). What OS was the machine running before you installed XP? How much RAM, how large a drive? Processor type?

If the XP splash screen appears, then the hard drive is working, at least to start the boot process. But maybe it's dying when it cuts over to 32-bit mode or something. I need to know how far it gets into the boot.

Also, try taking out the XP CD and any floppy when attempting to boot.

Lastly, can you boot up in Safe Mode? Remove floppies and CDs, and hit F8 right before XP starts to boot. Choose Safe Mode from the menu. If XP boots to a desktop this way, go into control panel and uninstall the display driver, so it gets reinstalled/redetected on the next "regular" boot and see what happens.

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

It basically does the monitor refresh and keyboard check, I think I hear it accessing the HD and then it reboots. Other than the monitor "flashing" on it's refresh nothing appears on the screen unless I leave the CD in (Press any key to boot from CD...) or if I hit F8 it brings up the Windows Safe mode options (Safe mode with/without netorking... etc) I have taken out the XP CD on reboot as well.

It had Windows ME on it and I haven't changed any hardware so I don't think that's a problem. I was also able to run SpinRite on it so the HD was accessed for that... Sorry I don't have the stats, I think it was 384MB or 512MB of memory 40GB HD not sure of the processor, I believe a P3 though. I'll get more info at home tonight
          Jason

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Just saw you edited there

I can get to the Safemode selection screen but when I try to boot to Safemode it just starts cycling again....?
            Jason

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

OK it's an IBM Netvista Model # - 2251EBU

P3-933mHz running at 133 mHz Bus speed
              256MB RAM
              45GB HD

Any help would be greatly appreciated :T

Edit: I'm running the "IBM Product Recovery" that came with unit to see if it will at least load the Windows ME OEM version included with that. It seems to be working but I don't know why it won't let me load XP....? :scratchhead:

Edit again: Looking to see if I need to update the bios... installing Me to run bios update then I will try XP install again....eeesh! :thud:
              Jason

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Okay the closest I've gotten to an operating system was half way through the Windows ME install it gave an error rebooted and took me to the Safe Mode selection screen I tried booting to both normal and safe modes it gives me the error:

"Windows Protection error. You need to restart your computer.

System halted."

After that I tried updating the bios with an ISO file downloaded from the IBM web page. THAT, thank god, went fine but I still end up at the same safemode/error message!!!!!

Where the hell's the devil smilies Kev!!!??? 8O :M
                Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

Hey Jason, I found some info on your problem, I think... check the capacitors on the motherboard, see this thread for more info: http://forums.techguy.org/printthread.php?t=182983

Some mobos had faulty capacitors that cause this sort of symptom, including IBM Netvistas. I actually replaced the caps on a Gateway machine a year ago and got it running again.

IBM may replace the motherboard for you, but given the age of the machine, I have my doubts.

Also check out http://www.badcaps.net/

Here's a couple of devil smileys: :twisted: and :evil:

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Thanks Kev :T I'll have a gander at those links. Yeah IBM wants to charge me for any support so... :roll:

My tech guy at work also suggested checking in the Bios that there's no security settings etc with writing to the boot sector of the drive. If the bios isn't allowing me to re-write that portion on the new install perhaps that's causing the problem....? At least that's his theory on a possible problem :lol:
                    Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by aud19
                      My tech guy at work also suggested checking in the Bios that there's no security settings etc with writing to the boot sector of the drive.
                      Yeah, look for "boot virus protection" in the BIOS and turn it off it it's on.

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

I'm pretty sure I already checked that that was off last night but I'll definitely check when I get home Otherwise I'll be having a good look at thos capacitors!!!!! Sounds an awful lot like it could be my problem The time-frame fits too :T
                        Jason

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Well now I am at a loss....?

Boot virus protection was off, which I'd already guessed but the Capacitors also seem pretty much fine other than being a little dusty and two having what appears to be red felt marker lines on the tops....? :scratchhead:

I called IBM who gave me the name/adress phone # of an IBM repair place in Vancouver. On the one hand I don't know what else could be wrong that would cause this problem other than the capacitors but on the other hand there doesn't appear to be anything actually wrong with them either.............???

I've attached a few pics (man digi-cams come in handy! :lol: )

Attached Files
                          Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
                            • Aug 2000

The tops look slightly bulged, this is usually a sure sign of faulty capacitors. Swollen, bulged, leaking are all sure signs. Compare those caps to the ones in the first pic to the left of the CPU, which look normal.

Here's a pic of the bad caps on the Gateway I fixed last fall. The bulging is more apparent on these.

Attached Files

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Yeah my caps appear to be fine.... so I have no idea what the problem is then.....
                              Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
                                • Aug 2000

It could still be the caps, even if they don't look visibly bad.

Try downloading Memtest86, creating a floppy, and boot from that. Let it run for a while, see if you get errors.

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Already got Mtest, I'll give it a try
                                  Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Memtest ran fine.... We may take it in to the IBM repair place, they said they'd look at it for free to see if they felt it was the caps or not.... Otherwise I'm at a total loss.... :scratchhead: :huh:
                                    Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

So here I am confused and frustrated. I decide to try one last time checking IDE cables, power cables, re-seat the memory and vid card etc and while I'm fiddling around with all that i happen to brush the CPU fan power wires asside and looky here what did I find!!!!! :T

A leaking cap!!!!!! arty:

I'm just thrilled I actually found the problem (with a little help from my buddy Kev :T ) Sneaky little cap hiding under wires AND seemingly the only one to boot!! Looking at that first pic again you can see the leak just barely peaking out from under the wires :lol:

Thanks again Kev, you have no idea how good it feels to KNOW what the problem is and stop questioning your sanity :lol: :smootch:
                                      Attached Files
                                      Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
                                        • Aug 2000

I'd question any cap that appears to have a bulge on top, even if it's slight, whether or not it's leaking (good caps should be flat on top, no bulge at all). But it looks like you've found your culprit.

Comment

• aud19
                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kevin P
                                          But it looks like you've found your culprit.
                                          :yesnod: :T
                                          Jason

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"