CRT monitor flaking... Time for LCD so which ones to look at?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

CRT monitor flaking... Time for LCD so which ones to look at?

My 17" CRT at home is flaking. Given it's age, I'm leaning towards a replacement and looking.

Given my requirements what should I look for?

Requirements:
    19" LCD
    1280x1024 or better .. preferrably 1600x1200.
    16ms or less response - needed for gaming especially.
    DVI input
    Preferrably under $400 or is that a pipe dream?

Not compromising on any of those above.
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

NewEgg Search Your search: Recommended Resolution[1280x1024], Screen Size[19"], DVI[1], Response Time[16ms]

NewEgg has 6 monitors with the above criteria, ranging in price from $250 after rebate up to $445. None at 1600x1200 though. To get that res you need to go to a 20.5" or larger monitor.

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

There are new generations of gaming monitors coming out- with fairly fast response time- 5-8 msec. But sometimes these fast response monitors sacrifice a bit of grayscale and color accuracy for speed, as well as off axis response.

IMO, there's a few critical things with selecting LCD monitors-

True off axis response- can you get to 90 degrees or more off axis without a color shift or brightness change at the extremes of the grayscale? Notebook LCD,s being selected for price mainly, are often very bad in this regard. Desktop displays are quite variable; unfortunately the ones that are prett good are usually in the $1K range, like my Samsung 213T, which is 1600X1200, and streets in the $1100 or less range.

Brightness uniformity and color uniformity- putting up a full screen white and ramping that down to dark gray will often reveal sections of the screen that are somewhat tinted. Again, higher priced models usually do better.

There's LOT's of magazine reviews. In some cases models come and go- others, like my 213T, have been around a while, and still got recently reviewed in a shoot out at PC Magazine, and remains an Editors Choice.

Some newer HP models have gotten good reviews, too.

It's undeniable the space savings these panels afford. OTOH, if I was looking for the ultimate in flexibilty, color and gray scale accuracy, and low price, I'd go with a 22" CRT display. I have two around for that very reason- a Samsung and a Mitsubishi. They're used with my desktop tower. The big panel is used as an extender for my notebook.

~Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

I am willing to sacrifice in terms of grey scale and color to gain the desk space and weight of the LCD.

If I can go larger but not too much in terms of cost, I will consider the 20"+.

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

Did a little searching and saw this monitor for $400 after coupons
          Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

That's a difficult deal to pass up. The deal is posted on slickdeals. The 19" is pretty cheap but it only has 20ms response

Comment

• Claude D D
            • Jan 2003

I bought the 17" version of this monitor (with a 8ms response)Killer picture very pleased. :T

Comment

• Sithlord
              • Aug 2004

Just purchased a Hyundai 19" Model L90D+ (8m) Max res is 1280x1024 (60hz) very happy with. Cost was $569AUD. I've read that Samsung is also very good also but costs a little more.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

I ended up buying a 19" 8ms Samsung. I paid $399 + I got a $50 mail in rebate + 10% off. So final total was around $300.

VERY VERY Happy with it. The Hyundai was good too.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Congrats on the purchase, Shane! Definitely a good price!

Samsungs have been among the best LCD panels, espcially considering price- they've always had good scaler chips for when you aren't running native resolution, better than the NEC's of 4-5 years ago, for example. I'm still very pleased with my 213T and am considering getting a second later this year for my dual display CAD setup.

Sithlord, it sounds like you got a pretty good deal, too! We don't see as many Hyundai panels over here in the US, just like you guys don't see some of the stuff popular over here...

~Jon
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Shane Martin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2001

Sithlord, it sounds like you got a pretty good deal, too! We don't see as many Hyundai panels over here in the US, just like you guys don't see some of the stuff popular over here...
                    They are very popular on the enthusiast boards. The Hyundai is sold by Newegg.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"