Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Xbox360 to be backwards compatible

"through emulation"

Microsoft says new Xbox to run older games

By Reed Stevenson

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. said on Monday its new Xbox 360 will run video games developed for the earlier generation of its gaming machine, an enticement to get fans who have already spent hundreds of dollars on older Xbox games to purchase new hardware. ...
    more here: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...technologyNews
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

They knew they HAD to have that feature... That can be a make or break feature. Especially with PS3 supporting PS2 and PS1 games.

Good to hear, it makes me want to get the Xbox 360 so I can play both new and old games I've missed.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

That indeed is a profound concept.

Azeke

Comment

• cinema bob
        • Apr 2005

offically microsoft says that the 360 will be "backward compatible with popular games", this of course means that only some games will be backwards compatible. sony will be backwards compatible with 100% of the ps1 and ps2 games. the ps3 also has dual hdmi 1080p outputs and their cell processor is capable of rendering literally thousands of audio signals across 5.1 channels.

Comment

• Sdiver2489
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by cinema bob
          offically microsoft says that the 360 will be "backward compatible with popular games", this of course means that only some games will be backwards compatible. sony will be backwards compatible with 100% of the ps1 and ps2 games. the ps3 also has dual hdmi 1080p outputs and their cell processor is capable of rendering literally thousands of audio signals across 5.1 channels.
          you need to learn what hype is lol. Go back and look at what they said about PS2. It was capable of "toy story" graphics. Obviously that was in no way true. Now this one is capable of rendering spiderman in real-time when it took the animation studios days....right.

Rule of thumb: Take where computers are and think of what the next graphics card and processor line could do. That is how the consoles will perform. It is simply unrealistic to think that its going to be THAT ahead of computers. If this was the case then AMD and INTEL would be out of buisness to IBM and their cell processor right now.

Comment

• maseline_98
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Sdiver2489
            you need to learn what hype is lol. Go back and look at what they said about PS2. It was capable of "toy story" graphics. Obviously that was in no way true. Now this one is capable of rendering spiderman in real-time when it took the animation studios days....right.

Rule of thumb: Take where computers are and think of what the next graphics card and processor line could do. That is how the consoles will perform. It is simply unrealistic to think that its going to be THAT ahead of computers. If this was the case then AMD and INTEL would be out of buisness to IBM and their cell processor right now.
            So True!!!...Call me a Sony hater, but they are still pushing a 5 year old system with a $150 price tag. I would have bought one @ $100, but $150 to watch madden lag when there are too many players showing or at the the goalline...Sony grow up!!!....JERKS!!!!...and the whole business with the Sony PSP having a "new memory"....JERKS just couldn't let SD or MMC or even their own memory stick used....No they had to go out and make something completely different...Third and final time...JERKS!!!!!!

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
            Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• cinema bob
              • Apr 2005

the processors in my g5 are capable of rendering many simultaneous audio signals as of now the cell processor is of the same PowerPC family and is several years newer in design, as well as being custom built for a gaming machine. i realize that sony will hype their products and they very well maybe JERKS, however Microsoft has proven time after time that they "know what is best for our customers" i can't stand the business practices they they espouse.
              also i have plenty of First person shooters and it seems that that is all that is available exclusively on the xbox.

Comment

• maseline_98
                • Apr 2005

Oh...I in no way, shape, or form condoning what M$ is doing...they are just about the biggest crooks in the whole world, but at least they don't try to hide it. Like releasing a PS2 Slim with a bunch of poor lasers...what a BS is that?....Had M$ never came out with the xbox...Sony would have never dropped their price...(not that they have much anyway)

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
                Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• mariachi
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Sdiver2489

Damn. Those are my thoughts exactly. The PS3 is being overspec right now. Also consider this. What developer is going to invest more time and money to support 1080p and dual monitors? There's hardly anyone with a 1080p monitor on the planet...

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Yet...
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• cinema bob
                      • Apr 2005

yes, yet. also remember that the ps3 offers video chat right out of the box so one screen can be your buddy's and the main screen the game. i can also see quite a few games (RPG's, FPS) that it would be nice to have a second screen for items and weapons.

about the sony price thing i can get a new ps2 (not the slim) for $99 at wal-mart. and remember the the PS1 price dropped when their were no major competitors.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"